Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: keyboard jog

Post by martyscncgarage »

Caleb wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:36 am But having jog enabled on the PC keyboard means you will get unexpected moves when navigating the in software, tools library etc.
It's actually potentially dangerous to have it moves enabled by default, I for sure wouldn't want it.
Possibly user choice selectable in the Wizard. But I tend to agree. Wireless MPG solves these problems but understand it is an expense.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by ShawnM »

Caleb wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:36 am But having jog enabled on the PC keyboard means you will get unexpected moves when navigating the in software, tools library etc.
It's actually potentially dangerous to have it moves enabled by default, I for sure wouldn't want it.
I understand you wouldn't want it that's why I was suggesting an "option" to have it enabled or not at start up. It's not for everyone, I get that. I personally would want it on. Some of the unwanted moves you suggest have been addressed in the latest 4.59 beta version being tested right now.

Wireless MPG is an option but when a wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse costs $25 it's hard to pass up and I can operate my most used router functions all from the keyboard if needed.

It's just a suggestion to have a toggle in the wizard for this feature. If you use it great, if you don't, also great. :mrgreen:
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

I use Logitech K400+ keyboards with silicone key cap skin. Compact with a touch pad. Less susceptible to dirt and swarf. Cheap on Amazon
Use Logitech Options software to make the F keys standard.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Old_machinist
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3160

Post by Old_machinist »

I agree with the surprise moves when using keyboard jog. It has caught me while using MDI inputs.

This will be something I will have to get use to. The dos based software I have been using for the last 25 years has keyboard jogging and it is something that has become automatic to me. The wireless pendant may be my best answer. The problem with the wireless pendant is I know that it is just a matter of time before I drop it and send it into many pieces. This machine has a small table and then skirts to cover the ways so anything set on the skirt will soon be headed to the floor. I have not been able to fully adapt from my old bad habits of setting my tools on the end of the mill table. So far this bad habit has only cost me a nice set of dial verniers, but I can see the pendant getting launched.

Charles Hopklins
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Old_machinist wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:16 pm I agree with the surprise moves when using keyboard jog. It has caught me while using MDI inputs.

This will be something I will have to get use to. The dos based software I have been using for the last 25 years has keyboard jogging and it is something that has become automatic to me. The wireless pendant may be my best answer. The problem with the wireless pendant is I know that it is just a matter of time before I drop it and send it into many pieces. This machine has a small table and then skirts to cover the ways so anything set on the skirt will soon be headed to the floor. I have not been able to fully adapt from my old bad habits of setting my tools on the end of the mill table. So far this bad habit has only cost me a nice set of dial verniers, but I can see the pendant getting launched.

Charles Hopklins
Hi Charles, yes those surprises can get you. :shock: Maybe another feature is for Centroid to disable keyboard jog while in MDI mode. Regardless of that it would be nice to have the option to have keyboard jog enabled at startup. Do you use a wireless keyboard now? If you drop it it's only $25 versus a $300 oops.
Old_machinist

Post by Old_machinist »

ShawnM
I don't have a wireless keyboard either. I had wired pendants on a few machines over the years that I was responsible for and rarely used a one of them. I do mostly small work which makes my "control panel only approach" still easy to reach
Old_machinist

Post by Old_machinist »

ShawnM
I should have mentioned that the short cut keys are becoming automatic quickly as I use this machine more and more.
The more I use it he more I like it also.
That is just incase anyone wants to know.