Refusing to measure ONLY tool #10? (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Refusing to measure ONLY tool #10?

Post by swissi »

IvanVelchev wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:17 am Hi Swissi. I changed the tool probe number to 100 and now tool number 10 is diamond tool and all is good. The diamond tools are conductive. I use diamond tools a lot and there is no problem with the conductivity of the diamond. Not only number 10 of my tools is diamond. Somehow the machine "knows" that the tool 10 it is a probe and may be, it is waiting to trip the probe input, not the tool setter input. This could be my mistake on the setup, after I updated the software. I am still thinking it will be good to have some remainder or notification when the automatic measuring procedure of the probe tool is started. I already paid for my mistake and I will not do it again. Thanks.
The trip signals in CNC12 are shared between the Touch Probe Tool cycles and the Tool Setter Probe cycles even if they are on different Inputs. That means if you have a Tool Setter cycle going and you trip the Touch Probe the cycle will see the trip signal. If T10 is configured as your touch probe and you do a Tool Setter probing cycle with T10 the cycle will see the trip signal no matter if it comes from your Tool Setter or Touch Probe. Of course if the Touch Probe is not connected and has a ruby probe tip and the Tool Setter is conductive, there will be no trip signal when the Touch Probe touches the Tool Setter plate.

So in short for your case, T10 being configured as Touch Probe just can't be the source of the problem. Your Tool Setter just did not get a trip signal when the Tool touched the Tool Setter and you need to find the real reason why that happened as T10 being configured as the Touch Probe is not the problem.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
Dave_C
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Refusing to measure ONLY tool #10? (Resolved)

Post by Dave_C »

Probe Tool Number (Parameter 12): A single value, 0 through 200, used to look up the length
offset and tip diameter of the probe in the Offset Library.
The above taken from the 4.18 online mill manual!

I'm still trying to grasp how you can set the probe as tool #10 and then use tool #10 for a different tool since Parameter #12 holds the length and diameter of the probe tip. It looks like to me if you use Tool slot #10 for another tool you would have no where to hold those two dimensions for the probe.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
IvanVelchev
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by IvanVelchev »

Sorry to get up this discussion . I did again tool number 10 as a Probe Tool, in the wizard, and the same issue is here again. This time the tool is not diamond, and the Z axis does not want to stop on the measuring procedure. It is obvious the software said to Acorn not to wait for a signal from this input when the tool 10 is measured. Since I don't have a Probe, I did not set any input for the probe signal, or may be I did, on the first setup of the software. On the same time, all other tools are measured fine. I did not do anything on the hardware or on the wiring. After this, I changed tool 10 with tool 100, as a Tool Probe, and all is good. Nothing to say more. Once again, I think the Acorn is waiting to get the signal from the probe input, not from the tool setter. The minimum of this situation, once you start measuring procedure of tool 10 , the software should give you a notification as " Please make sure you have your touch probe properly installed, before you start the cycle". This will save money and troubles.
swissi

Post by swissi »

Dave_C wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:12 pm I'm still trying to grasp how you can set the probe as tool #10 and then use tool #10 for a different tool since Parameter #12 holds the length and diameter of the probe tip. It looks like to me if you use Tool slot #10 for another tool you would have no where to hold those two dimensions for the probe.
You are missing the point. I'm not saying that you should share the same tool number between a touch probe and a tool. I'm just saying that doing a Tool Setter touch off cycle with the tool # that is configured in Parameter 12 as Touch Probe has no impact if the Tool Setter trips or not.
IvanVelchev wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:25 pm Sorry to get up this discussion . I did again tool number 10 as a Probe Tool, in the wizard, and the same issue is here again. This time the tool is not diamond, and the Z axis does not want to stop on the measuring procedure. It is obvious the software said to Acorn not to wait for a signal from this input when the tool 10 is measured. Since I don't have a Probe, I did not set any input for the probe signal, or may be I did, on the first setup of the software. On the same time, all other tools are measured fine. I did not do anything on the hardware or on the wiring. After this, I changed tool 10 with tool 100, as a Tool Probe, and all is good. Nothing to say more. Once again, I think the Acorn is waiting to get the signal from the probe input, not from the tool setter. The minimum of this situation, once you start measuring procedure of tool 10 , the software should give you a notification as " Please make sure you have your touch probe properly installed, before you start the cycle". This will save money and troubles.
I should have looked at your Report file before as I've just seen that you are running CNC12 version 4.18 which is two releases behind. Probing logic has significantly changed in the last two versions so it's a mute point to bring up issues from the past.

Upgrade to version 4.50 and report back if the problem still exists.

-swissi
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Second the advice to try it with the current software release.

You may also need to review your probe and TT configuration.

On the one hand, you have Parameters 11 and 44 set to indicate you have a touch probe trip signal wired to INP7, and a tool touch-off trip signal wired to INP5.

On the other hand, your PLC program has only the tool touch-off assigned to INP5, and no input assigned for a probe trip.

Do you in fact have a touch probe (one that goes in the spindle)? Or do you only have a tool touch-off device (tool setter)?
swissi

Post by swissi »

There's no more need to modify any probing parameters directly in CNC12 parameters. Use the Wizard to set all your probing configurations and the Wizard will take care that all CNC12 parameters are set correctly.

-swissi

IvanVelchev
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by IvanVelchev »

Hi Swissi. Thanks for your advice. I updated to the last version. All looks fine. I don't want to open new post. Now the controller does not execute M30 command. This is first an second, when I tell in the wizard the thickness of my Tool touch plate , on the Parameters shows is negative, minus is in the front of the number. I changed to positive on the Parameters, but was automatically changed on the WIzard to negative. Is this normal? Thanks.
swissi

Post by swissi »

IvanVelchev wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:47 am Hi Swissi. Thanks for your advice. I updated to the last version. All looks fine. I don't want to open new post. Now the controller does not execute M30 command. This is first an second, when I tell in the wizard the thickness of my Tool touch plate , on the Parameters shows is negative, minus is in the front of the number. I changed to positive on the Parameters, but was automatically changed on the WIzard to negative. Is this normal? Thanks.
What exactly do you mean when you say "the controller does not execute the M30 command"?

Does your job file have a M30 command at the end, there's a macro file called mfunc30.mac in your c:\cncm folder and when you run your job file the commands that are in mfunc30.mac are not executed?

Regarding the height of the Tool Touch Off Plate, I would not necessarily call this "normal" but it's the way that the Wizard inverts the height value from positive to negative and vice versa when the value is stored in the parameters and read back into the Wizard.

I recommend to configure all probing related parameters in the Wizard and don't change them directly in CNC12.

That said there's currently a bug how the Wizard sets the bits of Parameter 43. There's currently no way not to have the height of the Tool Setter being subtracted if you have a height configured.

-swissi