Refusing to measure ONLY tool #10? (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

IvanVelchev
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Refusing to measure ONLY tool #10? (Resolved)

Post by IvanVelchev »

Hi. Just started to remeasure my 16 tools on mine CNC router. Everything went smooth up to tool number 9. Started automatic measuring on tool number 10. Unfortunately the Z axis did not stop on the touch probe. The 700 dollars diamond tool was killed. Checked the tool touch probe- works fine on the other tools. Input works fine. Tried tool number 11- works fine, 12- works fine. All except 10 is good. I am sending my report.
Attachments
report_C8FD19F21E57-0404180794_2020-10-23_15-06-36.zip
(445.3 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Re: Refusing to measure ONLY tool #10?

Post by Dave_C »

Is tool 10 set as the probe in the wizard?

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

IvanVelchev wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:05 pm Hi. Just started to remeasure my 16 tools on mine CNC router. Everything went smooth up to tool number 9. Started automatic measuring on tool number 10. Unfortunately the Z axis did not stop on the touch probe. The 700 dollars diamond tool was killed. Checked the tool touch probe- works fine on the other tools. Input works fine. Tried tool number 11- works fine, 12- works fine. All except 10 is good. I am sending my report.
Is your Tool Setter of the conductive type? A diamond is not conductive and would not signal a tool touch off.

Just a guess.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
IvanVelchev

Post by IvanVelchev »

Yes. The tool 10 is set on the wizard.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

IvanVelchev wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:33 pm Yes. The tool 10 is set on the wizard.

If tool 10 is set to be your probe in the wizard then it can't be used by a tool and measured.

I suspect that is the cause of the crash!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
IvanVelchev

Post by IvanVelchev »

Yes. I think so this is the problem. May be it is good to have some notification, or the automatic procedure not to start, to avoid some expensive crashes as mine. Thanks! What "Probe tool number" means to the machine?
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

If you read the setup sheet that comes with the probe, or maybe the download PDF, it tells you that the probe default is tool #10 and that you should set up tool 10 in the tool table.

I think this is also covered in the CNC manual for Acorn under the section "probing" but I haven't looked in a long time so I could be wrong about that.

Dave C.
IvanVelchev

Post by IvanVelchev »

Thanks. I will check.
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

IvanVelchev wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:41 pm Yes. I think so this is the problem. May be it is good to have some notification, or the automatic procedure not to start, to avoid some expensive crashes as mine. Thanks! What "Probe tool number" means to the machine?
The information that the tool number of the touch probe can't be used to touch off with a Tool Setter is incorrect.

If CNC12 sees a trip signal on the Tool Setter it will stop the probing cycle no matter what tool number is currently active.

In your case there was clearly no trip signal seen by CNC12 when the tool touched the tool setter. You mentioned that this tool was a diamond tool which is not conductive. If you have a tool setter that signals a probe trip when a conductive tool touches the plate, it will not work with a non conductive tool like a diamond tool.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
IvanVelchev

Post by IvanVelchev »

Hi Swissi. I changed the tool probe number to 100 and now tool number 10 is diamond tool and all is good. The diamond tools are conductive. I use diamond tools a lot and there is no problem with the conductivity of the diamond. Not only number 10 of my tools is diamond. Somehow the machine "knows" that the tool 10 it is a probe and may be, it is waiting to trip the probe input, not the tool setter input. This could be my mistake on the setup, after I updated the software. I am still thinking it will be good to have some remainder or notification when the automatic measuring procedure of the probe tool is started. I already paid for my mistake and I will not do it again. Thanks.