3 wire PNP N/C proximity switch (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Growls
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8E76D2-0827203678
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

3 wire PNP N/C proximity switch (Resolved)

Post by Growls »

Is it possible to use this type of switch with Acorn as inputs for homing? How would they be wired? The voltage range is between 10 and 30 vdc. I have searched the forum and most references are for two wire limit switches or possibly 3 wire NPN switches.
Richards
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: 3 wire PNP N/C proximity switch

Post by Richards »

A PNP sensor SOURCES current (or provides positive voltage). The inputs on the Acorn require the attached device to SINK current (or pull down the Acorn's input voltage from +24VDC to near 0 volts). A PNP device does not SINK current. In order to make a PNP device compatible with an Acorn input, you need to change the polarity of the sensor's output, such as using a relay. The PNP sensor would control the coil on the relay. The contacts of the relay would be wired to provide a SINKING circuit for the Acorn's input. An external PLC, such as the $69 CLICK from AutomationDirect can also be used. If the complexity or the final cost of your design makes a PLC a practical way to solve the problem, then it might be the best solution. At one point, I had homing sensors, limit sensors, servo fault signals (from two different manufacturers that had opposite polarities, and I had the need to control the servo enable signal. A PLC was the simplest solution.

If you decide to use a relay board, be sure to buy one that works with PNP signals. That means that it will have common GND signal on its input side and individual inputs for each relay. With a PNP N/C sensor, a relay connected to the sensor will always be on unless the sensor senses the homing target. You can buy six or eight relay boards on EBay for about $20. Just be sure that you buy one that works with PNP sensors.
-Mike Richards
Growls
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8E76D2-0827203678

Re: 3 wire PNP N/C proximity switch

Post by Growls »

Mike, thanks for the reply.

It was less expensive to just order NPN normally closed sensors. I got 5 of them for $18.00.
cxagent
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8EADDD-1001203772

Re: 3 wire PNP N/C proximity switch (Resolved)

Post by cxagent »

The forum is AWESOME! I was about to post a similar question but a search showed it had recently been answered!
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: 3 wire PNP N/C proximity switch (Resolved)

Post by martyscncgarage »

cxagent wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:49 am The forum is AWESOME! I was about to post a similar question but a search showed it had recently been answered!
This is exactly why I send all users here to ask their questions. They remain archived and searchable for the next user!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ