Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

DMM DYN2 wiring question - I might be a dummy

Post by ecdez »

I'll try my best to keep with the instructions for asking questions.

I have done a conversion on a Hurco mill with different components and I only mention this to say that I've done one before but still consider myself a novice.

The current project I have is a Hardinge AHC with an Accuslide attachment and the old Fagor has thrown in the towel so it's time for an "upgrade".

I do not have any hardware as of yet. I like to have a good understanding of what I'm getting into before spending money. I'm old fashioned that way :)

My intentions are to use an Acorn board with DMM drivers / motors (DYN2 and DST 0.4kW AC Servo).

In the wiring diagram it shows the step and direction going to pins 2 and 3. In my case with two axes I would assume another DYN2 would go to pins 4 and 5. However, the other 3 wires coming from the DYN to the Acorn (ZRI [pin11], ALM [pin15], COM [pin25]) appear to share common connections. That is, the wires from all drivers, in my case 2, go to these terminals. Am I reading that correctly? Also if I get a DB25 cable and run it to one driver can I just daisy chain the other driver for those 3 wires?

As a follow up question; In my research thus far I came across another thread where a response says

"You will need a DB25 breakout board (you don't wire to Acorn H2/H3 connectors.
You can buy the breakout board on Amazon:
http://a.co/iPUQQec"

(viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2043&p=14022&hilit=dyn2#p14022)

The wiring diagram does not show that so is it accurate? You can't use the H2 and H3 terminals for the DMM and you need a separate breakout board?

Thanks in advance!
slodat
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: DMM DYN2 wiring question - I might be a dummy

Post by slodat »

I am doing an Acorn conversion on a Hardinge with Accuslide. I made a new motor bracket for the X axis servo. I went with the same motor and DYN4 drives. I use the DB25 step and direction signals. I’ve done a lot of testing on two different DYN4 Acorn systems and the screw terminals were causing lost steps. Moving to the DB25 for step and direction resolved this issue for me and many others. Lots of info in my thread.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

ecdez wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:44 am I'll try my best to keep with the instructions for asking questions.

I have done a conversion on a Hurco mill with different components and I only mention this to say that I've done one before but still consider myself a novice.

The current project I have is a Hardinge AHC with an Accuslide attachment and the old Fagor has thrown in the towel so it's time for an "upgrade".

I do not have any hardware as of yet. I like to have a good understanding of what I'm getting into before spending money. I'm old fashioned that way :)

My intentions are to use an Acorn board with DMM drivers / motors (DYN2 and DST 0.4kW AC Servo).

In the wiring diagram it shows the step and direction going to pins 2 and 3. In my case with two axes I would assume another DYN2 would go to pins 4 and 5. However, the other 3 wires coming from the DYN to the Acorn (ZRI [pin11], ALM [pin15], COM [pin25]) appear to share common connections. That is, the wires from all drivers, in my case 2, go to these terminals. Am I reading that correctly? Also if I get a DB25 cable and run it to one driver can I just daisy chain the other driver for those 3 wires?

As a follow up question; In my research thus far I came across another thread where a response says

"You will need a DB25 breakout board (you don't wire to Acorn H2/H3 connectors.
You can buy the breakout board on Amazon:
http://a.co/iPUQQec"

(viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2043&p=14022&hilit=dyn2#p14022)

The wiring diagram does not show that so is it accurate? You can't use the H2 and H3 terminals for the DMM and you need a separate breakout board?

Thanks in advance!
Z must be Axis 1
X must be Axis 2
You are following the attached schematic? Dyn2 drives are fine, you just have to use a DC power supply to drive them.
You can use the Acorn screw terminals if you like for the inputs.

Slodat has a point, if you use DYN4 you don't need the DC Power supply. If you have to buy a DC power supply, you might find it offsets the cost and makes the DYN4 more attractive and easier to wire up.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ecdez
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by ecdez »

Thanks for the responses thus far!

Looks like I have a thread to binge read :lol:

I do have to buy a power supply; I didn't realize the DYN4 would eliminate that. Would definitely be a cost savings.
martyscncgarage

ecdez wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:57 am Thanks for the responses thus far!

Looks like I have a thread to binge read :lol:

I do have to buy a power supply; I didn't realize the DYN4 would eliminate that. Would definitely be a cost savings.
Not an issue if you haven't made the purchase yet
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
slodat

Post by slodat »

DYN4 also has the ZRI output.
slodat

Post by slodat »

ecdez: post some photos of your lathe. I designed a bracket to mount the X axis motor. Happy to help if you need it.
Richards

Post by Richards »

ecdez wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:44 am In the wiring diagram it shows the step and direction going to pins 2 and 3. In my case with two axes I would assume another DYN2 would go to pins 4 and 5. However, the other 3 wires coming from the DYN to the Acorn (ZRI [pin11], ALM [pin15], COM [pin25]) appear to share common connections. That is, the wires from all drivers, in my case 2, go to these terminals. Am I reading that correctly? Also if I get a DB25 cable and run it to one driver can I just daisy chain the other driver for those 3 wires?
The Step and Direction signals are OUTPUTs (received from) from the Acorn. The ZRI and Alarm signals are INPUTs (sent to) the Acorn. The ALARM signal is connected to any one of the Acorn's Inputs and then the Wizard is used to configure that input as an Alarm input. The ZRI signal is sensed by the Acorn's encoder input. Marty has an excellent video on how to use the ZRI signal
-Mike Richards
ecdez
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by ecdez »

slodat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:51 pm ecdez: post some photos of your lathe. I designed a bracket to mount the X axis motor. Happy to help if you need it.
Thanks, and I will. Probably start a new thread for it :)

Richards wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:52 am The Step and Direction signals are OUTPUTs (received from) from the Acorn. The ZRI and Alarm signals are INPUTs (sent to) the Acorn. The ALARM signal is connected to any one of the Acorn's Inputs and then the Wizard is used to configure that input as an Alarm input. The ZRI signal is sensed by the Acorn's encoder input. Marty has an excellent video on how to use the ZRI signal
Got it, good to know. I'll have to look for that video. The better I understand it the better off I'll be!
martyscncgarage