Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Lathe knurling procedure with Acorn

Post by adrewfis »

Can someone please explain the knurling process using CNC12 lathe? I didn't see anything in the manual or online for this procedure. Thanks
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Lathe knurling procedure with Acorn

Post by tblough »

It depends on the type of knurler. Are you using a pressure knurler, clamp knurler, or cut knurler. Most CNC machines use cut type knurlers which process just like a turning cut.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
adrewfis
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by adrewfis »

The one that came with my quick change post is similar to one in this picture.
knurling tool.JPG
I will switch it out for a cutter type if it's better for CNC'ing. Gotcha, so we just program the diameter .02 smaller than what it is currently (or whatever is the recommended knurling depth) for a specified distance. Would we have to use profile mode for tapers & radiuses?
martyscncgarage
CNC11: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

adrewfis wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:04 am Can someone please explain the knurling process using CNC12 lathe? I didn't see anything in the manual or online for this procedure. Thanks
Great question! I will watch the responses with interest.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnc_smith

Post by cnc_smith »

adrewfis,

You have a pressure knurling tool that will work only on straight diameters. We use this type here at Centroid to put the knurl on the probe shanks for the probes.

1) For setting the knurling tool set Z off the front edge of the wheel.
Note: If you are knurling up to a shoulder you need to remember the additional part of holder that is beyond the wheel.

2) For setting X you want to use a piece of material that is close to what you will be knurling.
With the spindle turning slowly bring the knurling tool in the X directions so the wheels just touch the diameter. If one wheel start turning before the other your center line is not correct. Adjust center line of the tool so both wheels start turning at the same time or within a few thousand of stepping in. Set the X Diameter to the Diameter of the material before knurling. Then measure X. The material diameter after knurling will be sight larger than the turned diameter before. The next time you use the knurling tool and the diameter that you will be knurling is a different diameter it is best to remeasure the knurling tool for the diameter you will be knurling because the material will be tangent at a different point on the wheels and this will effect the offset diameter.

Note: If you don't feel comfortable with the spindle turning you can do this without the spindle turning by stepping in and turn each of the wheels by hand on the knurling tool until you fill them touch. This will be a slower process.

3) For the program we program the diameter for the knurling tool .015 diameter smaller than the material then adjust the Tool Ware to get the depth of the knurl we want. For our case the diameter before and after the diameter we are knurling is smaller. I have found that it is best in this case is have the starting Z for the knurling tool half of the width of the knurling wheel in the negative direction knurling right to left. This way the knurling tool doesn't have to come up over the edge of the material. I chamfer the leading and trailing edge before knurling heavy enough so the knurling does not push material in the Z plus or minus direction that would show up on the shoulder face.

Here is an example of the g-code program from Intercon for knurling. The diameter of the material in this example is 1.250:

N0044 T0400
M8
G97 S275.0 M3
G4 P1.0
X1.35 Z-1.55 T0404
; --- Linear ---
N0045 G1 X1.235 Z-1.55 F0.005
; --- Linear ---
N0046 X1.235 Z-1.75
; --- Rapid ---
N0047 G0 X1.35 Z-1.75

4) If on your first pass the knurl is not deep enough you can offset X in and run it again. For the diamond cut we use it will pick back up on the same pattern. You may have to adjust X several times on the following runs to get the depth of the knurl correct on the first pass depending on how ridged your machine is.

5) With doing the shoulder we do not use a dwell at the end. If you are not turning a should like this example you may have to put a short dwell at the end. If this does not help check to make sure the the knurling tool wheels are parallel to the material and not springing away.
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
adrewfis

Post by adrewfis »

Thanks for the very detailed explanation and example. I followed most of it except for the part where you said to adjust the tool wear in addition to the decreaseing the diameter by .015". Can you explain the logic behind changing the tool wear and not just decreasing the diameter in the program? Thanks again for your feedback.
cnc_smith

Post by cnc_smith »

adrewfis wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:52 am Thanks for the very detailed explanation and example. I followed most of it except for the part where you said to adjust the tool wear in addition to the decreaseing the diameter by .015". Can you explain the logic behind changing the tool wear and not just decreasing the diameter in the program? Thanks again for your feedback.
It is just individual preference of doing Tool Wear or changing the program. I just use the .015 in the program for all the knurling programs I write. Depending on the type and hardness of the material the depth will change and how sharp the knurling wheels are will effect the depth also. It is just easier I think to change the tool wear verses going in and editing the program. Again this is just individual preference.
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

cnc_smith wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:42 am
adrewfis wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:52 am Thanks for the very detailed explanation and example. I followed most of it except for the part where you said to adjust the tool wear in addition to the decreaseing the diameter by .015". Can you explain the logic behind changing the tool wear and not just decreasing the diameter in the program? Thanks again for your feedback.
It is just individual preference of doing Tool Wear or changing the program. I just use the .015 in the program for all the knurling programs I write. Depending on the type and hardness of the material the depth will change and how sharp the knurling wheels are will effect the depth also. It is just easier I think to change the tool wear verses going in and editing the program. Again this is just individual preference.
I agree with Dana, tweaking the tool wear values is easier and faster than tweaking the code.....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ