Couple of questions re. Acorn

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

cncsnw

Re: Couple of questions re. Acorn

Post by cncsnw »

cxagent: the home position on a Centroid machine is just off of the switch, not on it.

When an axis moves to find home, it moves toward the switch until the switch trips, then moves back until the switch clears again. When the axis is stopped at home, the switch is not tripped.
cxagent
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8EADDD-1001203772
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by cxagent »

Just an update.

I am still working on getting my machine converted, wired, etc. I am reading the software manual and found the answer to my question above. There is "magic" in the software! The software moves each axis separately until it senses the home switch on "any" axis trip the home switch. Since there is only one axis moving at a time, that has to be the axis that tripped the combined home switches. Smart way to connect all three home switches to one input!

I also wanted to say that the more I get into this the more I recognize how great the work is that Centroid has done. I am more and more impressed with the Acorn, CNC12 software and the support provided by Centroid and the community.
cxagent
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8EADDD-1001203772
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by cxagent »

cncsnw - thanks for that point. That helps explain how the Acorn control can know where it is. If it stayed on the Home position, it would have no way of knowing if all of the axes were at the home position, two were at the Home position or only one was at the Home position. This is part of the "magic" in the software.