Video or procedure to take a part drawing from autocad inventor/fusion and inputting it into centroid acorn?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

vw_chuck
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8FEB5F-0708203490
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Video or procedure to take a part drawing from autocad inventor/fusion and inputting it into centroid acorn?

Post by vw_chuck »

As the title says. Is there a video or procedure somewhere to show how to take a part drawn in CAD and input it into the Acorn software to make G-code? I see alot of setup videos but this one seems pretty important if you actually want to make a complex part?? Thanks for the help.
carbuthn
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Video or procedure to take a part drawing from autocad inventor/fusion and inputting it into centroid acorn?

Post by carbuthn »

Check NYCCNC.COM he has many videos on fusion 360 for the drawing and manufacturing setups / post processing.
Chuck
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Video or procedure to take a part drawing from autocad inventor/fusion and inputting it into centroid acorn?

Post by martyscncgarage »

vw_chuck wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:47 pm As the title says. Is there a video or procedure somewhere to show how to take a part drawn in CAD and input it into the Acorn software to make G-code? I see alot of setup videos but this one seems pretty important if you actually want to make a complex part?? Thanks for the help.
Centroid does take any CAD file and turn it into G-Code. You need a CAM program like Sheetcam, CamBam, Meshcam etc. for that.
Centroid used to take a .dxf file but because of the headaches of so many .dxf variants, Centroid stopped supporting that in Servo. (It was never supported in CNC12 Acorn)

The Centroid CNC12 software will TAKE your G code file and control your machine...
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

You can use Fusion 360 for both the CAD and CAM software and many on the forum do this with great success. There's a great Centroid PP for Fusion 360 on this forum. I'm slowly teaching myself Fusion 360 but I have a lot to learn. There's a guy named Lars Christensen on Youtube who has a ton of videos on Fusion 360, I'd start with his channel.
vw_chuck

Post by vw_chuck »

Marty do you recommend a particular CAM program to work with Acorn?
It's kind of weird that the acorn software doesnt actually have this built in it already.
Thanks
vw_chuck

Post by vw_chuck »

Shawn M what is a Centroid PP? Is that plug and play? Where would I find this for fusion 360? Thanks
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Fusion 360 has a CAM module.
Sheet Cam, Cam Bam, Meshcam are a few of the lower end CAM programs. They will generate your G code.
Centroid Controls the machine and provides the software interface. The software, CNC12 takes the G Code and commands machine movement. CNC12 does have Intercon, conversational programing where you input your data and it can post G code. It can do things like drilling, tapping, pockets, frames, and much more. Take a look at section 10 of the Mill Operator's Manual, section 8 in the lathe operator's manual. Manuals are in the upper right corner of this page: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... nuals.html

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

As stated below you need to have other 3rd party software to go between your DXF/DWG file and Acorn that will generate the g code. Fusion 360 is both CAD and CAM and you can draw the part and generate the g code within Fusion 360 but it has a steep learning curve if you ask me.

If you decide to use Fusion 360 there is a member of this forum who created a post processor for Fusion 360 that works with your Acorn hardware. Here's a link to the topic:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2992