Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Spindle Fault Question

Post by Pete Rondeau »

I've searched the forums and couldn't find any info here, if it has been asked maybe I'm not using the correct terminology.

Is there a way to configure CNC12 so that a running job will halt, but still allow you to jog the machine? Similarly to how you can configure it to allow slow jogging when the door is opened?

At the moment I have to power cycle the machine in the event of a spindle fault and I would really prefer to be able to get the machine back into its home position prior to shutting it down.

This is primarily an issue due to me still tuning the spindle motor and trying to see exactly what it is capable of doing, I don't see this being a common occurrence during normal operations.

Thanks,
Pete
Follow my progress on YouTube
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Re: Spindle Fault Question

Post by swissi »

Pete Rondeau wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:50 am Is there a way to configure CNC12 so that a running job will halt, but still allow you to jog the machine? Similarly to how you can configure it to allow slow jogging when the door is opened?
Just press the Tool Check button button while the job runs.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
Pete Rondeau

Post by Pete Rondeau »

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear with my question.
Is there a way to set CNC12 so that when a spindle fault causes the job to halt, I can still jog the machine.
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

Pete Rondeau wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:49 am I'm sorry, I wasn't clear with my question.
Is there a way to set CNC12 so that when a spindle fault causes the job to halt, I can still jog the machine.
Without seeing your report file, I assume you have your spindle fault signal connected to a "SpindleOK" Input on the Acorn. When that Input triggers it creates a fault status that needs to be reset in CNC12 with the RESET button before the motors move again but it only resets if the Input is no longer triggered when you try to RESET and I guess that leads to the next question "How do you reset the Fault on your spindle?"

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

If I set my decel rate to aggressively, the VFD will overvoltage and the SpindleOK signal will stop CNC12. As Swissi says, you need to clear the VFD fault before you can resume movement. On my (Yaskawa) VFD I have the Remote Operator mounted on my front panel, so I can reset a fault from there (and change the decel parameters). Once that is done, cycling the big red reset button in the VCP will clear the fault so I can jog or restart the job etc.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Not sure if this addresses your issue, but on most drives there is a reset input. I think your DMM DYN4 is included.
Use the VFD Reset output. When you cycle the Estop, the relay will close.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Pete Rondeau

Post by Pete Rondeau »

I looked and the drive requires a power cycle to reset alarms. However, I read a bit more and discovered that I was not powering the Dyn4 the way they call for in the manual. I'm used to wiring Yaskawa Sigma 5 drives, (and even though the plastic case looks like it came out of the same mold, that is where the similarity ends) we leave the control power on those and only disconnect the 3 phase high voltage to the drive. DMM wants you to drop out everything with the contactor. So, with that wiring change, pressing the E-stop will now reset the drive.
Thanks!
Pete
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Pete Rondeau wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:38 pm I looked and the drive requires a power cycle to reset alarms. However, I read a bit more and discovered that I was not powering the Dyn4 the way they call for in the manual. I'm used to wiring Yaskawa Sigma 5 drives, (and even though the plastic case looks like it came out of the same mold, that is where the similarity ends) we leave the control power on those and only disconnect the 3 phase high voltage to the drive. DMM wants you to drop out everything with the contactor. So, with that wiring change, pressing the E-stop will now reset the drive.
Thanks!
Pete
The may have different firmware for a spindle drive, but I don't think so. Drive reset was added to be compatible with the OAK motion controller when used as standard Axis drives.

I and many others will be interested to see how you get on with using that AC servo motor as a spindle drive. I assume you made up the encoder cable to go from DYN4 to Acorn? Setup Rigid tapping yet?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

How are you connecting the drive up? Not much point using the 0-10V speed signal for a positioning servo drive unless you plan to change from speed mode to position mode when you go rigid tapping - at which point you'd want to be changing to step / dir control. The only benefit I can see in using a servo drive on the spindle is to enable position control, as the same laws of physics apply when it comes to generating torque from a given rotor size.

The alternative would be to drive it as a 4th axis but I don't know how well CNC12 can use 4th axis as a spindle (speed control) drive?

IIRC, the Yaskawa Sigma drives can change mode on the fly (I may misremember) but I'd be surprised if the DMM ones can do that. Without disrespecting them, they seem to have implemented only a small proportion of the features you'd expect in a grown up servo drive.