Probe stock and tools heights

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

maxdallavalle
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: (0612203426)
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Probe stock and tools heights

Post by maxdallavalle »

Hi guys, I'm a new Acorn enthusiast and new to this forum.

I have build a 3 axes mill and I'm in trouble about tool height and probing.
I have set 2 probes on my machine, one probe for the spindle (like DP-4) and one fixed for tool height (like TT-2), so what I wanna do is:

Put my probe in the spindle and set my XYZ zeroes
Remove the probe and start my job
When the job starts, load the first tool and automatically measure the tool height.
When the program needs a new tool, stop the spindle, change the tool, and re-measure the tool height.

I have tried many macros that I have found on the forum but not able to do this routine, I'm using Fusion 360 with standard PP.
I have also tried the probe app from swissi, started the universal tool setter>Probe Z0 and reference height offset, but after Z0 set on stock when the machine goes to G30 position of the fixed tool probe, don't reach the probe in Z (it stops every time 60/70 mm higher than probe) and an error occurs.

So the question is, there is a macro with this function? I'm new to tools library and tools heights and I struggle so much understand it.

Hope someone can help me, cheers from Italy
DrLocke
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0C1C57072225-0107202806

Re: Probe stock and tools heights

Post by DrLocke »

Check out swissi's new ProbeApp, look further down this forum. I've recently started using it and it works great.
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

Sounds as if you are struggling with tool length offset measurement and stock probing. It sounds simple but actually takes some getting used to.

Have you seen this? http://www.cncsnw.com/OLEM.htm Marc Leonard ("cncsw") created this and it's pretty helpful for understanding what is happening. Also, check out the video by Keith that goes through the subject:

I also have a probe and a tool setter. If you know what tools you plan to use, I'd suggest you set up the length offsets before you start machining, rather than in the middle of the job. The only reason for measuring in the middle of the job is if you are removing the tool from a collet chuck and replacing it with another in the same holder. If you are doing this, perhaps you should buy some more toolholders?
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

maxdallavalle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:44 am I have build a 3 axes mill and I'm in trouble about tool height and probing.
I have set 2 probes on my machine, one probe for the spindle (like DP-4) and one fixed for tool height (like TT-2), so what I wanna do is:

When the job starts, load the first tool and automatically measure the tool height.
When the program needs a new tool, stop the spindle, change the tool, and re-measure the tool height.

I have tried many macros that I have found on the forum but not able to do this routine, I'm using Fusion 360 with standard PP.
I have also tried the probe app from swissi, started the universal tool setter>Probe Z0 and reference height offset, but after Z0 set on stock when the machine goes to G30 position of the fixed tool probe, don't reach the probe in Z (it stops every time 60/70 mm higher than probe) and an error occurs.

So the question is, there is a macro with this function? I'm new to tools library and tools heights and I struggle so much understand it.
There are two very important things to know that you did not mention in your post before we can give you advice:
  • What type of mill do you have? Important to know is if the distance between your Z0 Home position and the machine bed always stays the same or is it a knee mill type machine where this distance can change?
  • What type of spindle and tool holders do you have? Do you keep all your tools in fixed tool holders where the tool always has a fixed length or do you have collets where the tool length always differs after a tool change?
Please answer those two questions (maybe a picture of the machine and spindle too) and I'll give you step by step instructions of what to do.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

While on the subject of probes, and because it is topical, be sure to read up on probe setup:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _setup.pdf

Also learn about the Tool Library and Tool Height offsets in the Mill Operator Manual:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... -v4.14.pdf
Sections 5,6,7,8,9

The Centroid Mill Training Muzzer mentions is good there are two of them this is the other one. They are BOTH very worthwhile watching:
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
maxdallavalle
CNC Control System Serial Number: (0612203426)

Post by maxdallavalle »

swissi wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:23 am
maxdallavalle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:44 am I have build a 3 axes mill and I'm in trouble about tool height and probing.

There are two very important things to know that you did not mention in your post before we can give you advice:
  • What type of mill do you have? Important to know is if the distance between your Z0 Home position and the machine bed always stays the same or is it a knee mill type machine where this distance can change?
  • What type of spindle and tool holders do you have? Do you keep all your tools in fixed tool holders where the tool always has a fixed length or do you have collets where the tool length always differs after a tool change?
Please answer those two questions (maybe a picture of the machine and spindle too) and I'll give you step by step instructions of what to do.

-swissi
Thank's all for reply!

I have a normal Milling machine
The spindle is A ER20 collet, no tool holders i have to change it every time.
You can see probes and spindle in the attached images:
CNC-MAX.jpg
CNC-MAX1.jpg
swissi i will appreciate so much if you can give me step by step instructions (I think this can help much people)
Max
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Max, you have been giving good information. Its up to you to start reading. Especially from the Mill Operator's manual I provided. Swissi did document his probing routines. Read and try....we can't hold your hand, but we can answer questions as you go along if you get stuck.

First read the Mill Operator's manual so you get grasp of the tool library and setting tool offsets. You do all of that before running your parts.

Search YouTube for Centroid Probing and Centroid Tool Touch off after you have read the manual and watched the Centroid TRAINING videos.

You will enjoy using Probing features and Tool Touch off once you understand how they work with the software.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

maxdallavalle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:32 am I have a normal Milling machine
The spindle is A ER20 collet, no tool holders i have to change it every time.
You can see probes and spindle in the attached images:
CNC-MAX.jpg
CNC-MAX1.jpg
swissi i will appreciate so much if you can give me step by step instructions (I think this can help much people)
As promised here's what you need to do:
  • After you installed the ProbeApp, setup the M6 tool change command "mfunc6.mac" as described in this thread. Let me know if you need help setting up the mfunc6.mac file
  • In the ProbeApp Tool Setter, use the "Movable and Fixed TT" method. In your case the movable TT is actually the Touch Probe (TP)
  • Press the "Configuration" button and make changes as marked in the screen shot:

P1.png
  • Note that the Height of 0.003mm is necessary at the moment as it would give an error message otherwise but I'll fix this is future versions that the actual Height is allowed to be 0 if the movable TT is in fact a TP.
  • Make sure the X and Y machine coordinates for your TT at the G30 position are correctly setup in CNC12
  • This should be all you need to do. Make sure you follow the save testing procedure that I listed in this thread.
Please post here if you have more questions.

-swissi

***Update***
When you are using my CNC12 specific Fusion 360 Post Processor from this post makes sure you set the Post Processor Property "Write CNC12 Variables" and that your mfunc6.mac file has this line to display the Tool Change Message:

Code: Select all

M225 #101 "#)Insert Tool #%.0f\n\nCNC12: T%.0f  D=%.3f  Height-Offset=%.3f\nFusion : %s\n%s\n\nFlutes=%s  Spindle Speed=%s %s  Cooling=%s\n\nWOC=%s  DOC=%s  Feed per Tooth=%s  Feed per Rev=%s\n\nFeed=%s  Ramp=%s  Plunge=%s\n\n      Press Cycle Start to continue\n" #4120 #4120 #[11000 + #4120] #[10000 + #4120] #330 #314 #311 #315 #316 #312 #317 #318 #320 #323 #319 #321 #322
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com