CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Installing the Acorn with Adtech CNC drives

Post by martyscncgarage »

dmbgo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 am Finish setting up your machine. Read the lathe operators manual on setting up tools. Always F8 Graph the part before you run it, set your feedrate over ride way down when you first run a part, perhaps use single block mode on the first part ( you have to press cycle start for each line of code)

Is this your first CNC lathe and first time operating one?
Marty, whilst this was my first CNC machine (back in 2001ish) it is not my only CNC machine. I used Mach3 and steppers initially, then upgraded to servos. I don't remember any issues with that original iteration, but it was all a long time ago and it became just another tool in the shed. I almost always used the wizards in M3, so I didn't really need to worry about machine co-ordinates vs part co-ordinates etc. I would just face the part to find Z0, take a small pass on the diameter, measure it and set my X axis accordingly. The Gcode generated by the M3 wizards was fairly simple, I think.
As I said (and you confirmed) I will finish setting up the limits, to prevent a possible repeat of the previous issue and look at the manual as you suggest.
Sounds to me like you did your setup correctly for ONE tool. Face the Z, set zero, turn the x and take a measurement and enter the value.
I assume both X and Z are calibrated correctly?
Always best at least to slow the feed rate way down, press the space bar (Feed hold) as the tool approaches the work and look at the DRO's for a reality check. Do the values reflect the distance to the part? If so, press cycle start and continue, if not, recheck your part setup.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
dmbgo
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A7F34-0730203594
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by dmbgo »

dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:18 am
dmbgo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 am Finish setting up your machine. Read the lathe operators manual on setting up tools. Always F8 Graph the part before you run it, set your feedrate over ride way down when you first run a part, perhaps use single block mode on the first part ( you have to press cycle start for each line of code)

Is this your first CNC lathe and first time operating one?
Marty, whilst this was my first CNC machine (back in 2001ish) it is not my only CNC machine. I used Mach3 and steppers initially, then upgraded to servos. I don't remember any issues with that original iteration, but it was all a long time ago and it became just another tool in the shed. I almost always used the wizards in M3, so I didn't really need to worry about machine co-ordinates vs part co-ordinates etc. I would just face the part to find Z0, take a small pass on the diameter, measure it and set my X axis accordingly. The Gcode generated by the M3 wizards was fairly simple, I think.
As I said (and you confirmed) I will finish setting up the limits, to prevent a possible repeat of the previous issue and look at the manual as you suggest.
Sounds to me like you did your setup correctly for ONE tool. Face the Z, set zero, turn the x and take a measurement and enter the value.
I assume both X and Z are calibrated correctly?
Always best at least to slow the feed rate way down, press the space bar (Feed hold) as the tool approaches the work and look at the DRO's for a reality check. Do the values reflect the distance to the part? If so, press cycle start and continue, if not, recheck your part setup.

Marty
Sage advice Marty, I think I have the calibration V close. I have setup tool offsets already for my commonly used tools and after installing limits, will take your advice re slowing the machine down, using feed hold etc.
Thanks
Dave
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Another good thing to do would be to start the program from the run menu (F4) and select F5/Block to start the program in single block mode. Once stated, if you are in the graph screen, press F8 to toggle to the g-code display. Look at the next line of code to be executed. Try to figure out in your mind what it is going to do, turn the feedrate knob down and then press cycle start. Slowly increase the feedrate and see if the machine is doing what you expected. Repeat for the next block, and the next, and the next until you reach the program end.

You can also do the above using the blue "Single Block" button on the VCP.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

tblough wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:22 pm Another good thing to do would be to start the program from the run menu (F4) and select F5/Block to start the program in single block mode. Once stated, if you are in the graph screen, press F8 to toggle to the g-code display. Look at the next line of code to be executed. Try to figure out in your mind what it is going to do, turn the feedrate knob down and then press cycle start. Slowly increase the feedrate and see if the machine is doing what you expected. Repeat for the next block, and the next, and the next until you reach the program end.

You can also do the above using the blue "Single Block" button on the VCP.
Thanks Tom,
I'll let you know what happens...
dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

After a little delay, I'm back on the lathe. The X axis wan't calibrated correctly, Marty - you were right. I haven't tried anything else yet because of the following.
I have a new, or at least different problem today;
I have attached a screen shot of the error from CNC12.
The error I am getting is a position error, which seems to be right - the X axis is at 16mm when the error occurs, wheras it should be on its way from 12.5mm to 0mm.
I am a bit perplexed as to the cause of this. I have manually taken a face cut using both the MDI and the handwheel with no problems, but when I run the Gcode attached the error ocurs.
CNC12-position-error.jpg
Cheers
Dave
dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

I should add that I created the facing job in Intercon.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

"G99 F250" !?

You appear to be asking it to feed at 250mm per revolution of the spindle. Unless your spindle is turning at a crawl, that isn't going to work.
dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

cncsnw wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:37 pm "G99 F250" !?

You appear to be asking it to feed at 250mm per revolution of the spindle. Unless your spindle is turning at a crawl, that isn't going to work.
I thought this setting was in MMS per minute. If it's per revolution, it is, as you say, way beyond the machines capabilities
Aside from that astute observation, would the commanded feed rate make the axis go to the incorrect position?
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

If the commanded feedrate exceeds the capacity of the motors you will loose steps on an open-loop controller like the Acorn and the axis will end up in an incorrect position. Once this happens, you need to re-home the machine before proceeding.

In Intercon, when you enter a feedrate, you can toggle it between F/R and F/M. I'm curious why you have your DRO's set up to display X in radius mode instead of diameter.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.