Installing the Acorn with Adtech CNC drives

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

rruizvial
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804738481A4 0130191589.
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Installing the Acorn with Adtech CNC drives

Post by rruizvial »

dmbgo wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:18 am Sorry, but I cant help with this. I didn't set up servo alarms.
Hello.

Hello, step by step I am installing centroid, I have already converted limit and home sensors, emergency stop, I decided to try the configuration you gave in the fourth axis (only rotate), but apparently it does not work correctly:

I have a motor with an encoder of 2500, this means that I have to set step/revolution = 10000.

But on an servomotor with a 1:1 transfer case (the shaft only rotates), with what data is it configured?

Overall Turn Ratio (deg/rev):???

To make matters worse, it only has one forward direction, and when it's backwards, it goes forward again. The strange thing is that at the beginning if the reverse rotation worked. although it turned around but not in 360 degrees, but in about 48 degrees
dmbgo
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A7F34-0730203594

Post by dmbgo »

I'm assuming you are trying to configure a " step and direction" setup. The reversal of the axis in this case, is controlled by the"dir" signal, which should vary between an on and an off state, thus controlling the direction of the motor's rotation.
The number of steps per revolution must match the motor's specification. I'd guess you have to set this correctly to arrive a full revolution.
rruizvial

Post by rruizvial »

dmbgo wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:27 pm I'm assuming you are trying to configure a " step and direction" setup. The reversal of the axis in this case, is controlled by the"dir" signal, which should vary between an on and an off state, thus controlling the direction of the motor's rotation.
The number of steps per revolution must match the motor's specification. I'd guess you have to set this correctly to arrive a full revolution.
Hi, from the Syil forum, I was able to find out the value and it is for my 4th axle is 60, so that:

Overall Turn Ratio (deg/rev):60

The problem is that for some reason that I don't know now, to give a revolution, I have to put in that value 30, and it gives a revolution with 360 degrees. If I write 60, it gives 2 revolutions.

But the problem persists that it does not rotate in reverse.

On the other hand, I thought I had burned the servomotor controller, so I removed the connection to the acorn, put it in JOG mode, and it turns back and forth.

The problem is in the signals, maybe my hypothesis is in a pulse problem.

Can you tell me what pulse mode you are working with for the servo motor controller:

It is the configuration in parameter 10 (P10), there are four modes:

0 Pulse + direction (Pulse + sign): normal direction (500K)
1 Pulse + Pulse (CCW+CW): normal direction
2 Orthogonal pulse (A+B 90° orthogonal pulse): normal direction
3 Pulse + Direction (Pulse + sign): normal direction (100K)

What mode do you have in your motor controller?

(I have motor controller and servomotor Adtech)

**** Edit *****

I have read the thread again, could it be that the dir port has no continuity?
Do you know why there was no continuity on the card?

**** Edit 2 *****

I switch everything from port A to port Z, and I get the same thing.

No motor in reverse.
dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

With regard to the Dir signal, you first need to be sure that it is actually there. Use a multimeter and check that the signal output varies dependig on the direction selected.
rruizvial

Post by rruizvial »

dmbgo wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:36 pm With regard to the Dir signal, you first need to be sure that it is actually there. Use a multimeter and check that the signal output varies dependig on the direction selected.
ok.

At least on the acorn it changes, forward is approx. 0.0419v and reverse is 23.236v.

The problem could be the servomotor controller?

The quality of the signal?

For other hand, It is the configuration in parameter 10 (P10), there are four modes:

What mode do you have in your motor controller?
Last edited by rruizvial on Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

It's probaly not a signal quality issue, the controller should just see an on or off state for the signal. The difference between on and off is large, so the direction signal from the Acorn should be unambiguous. You need now, to make sure, using the same method, that the same signal is being received at the controller end.
rruizvial

Post by rruizvial »

dmbgo wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:09 pm It's probaly not a signal quality issue, the controller should just see an on or off state for the signal. The difference between on and off is large, so the direction signal from the Acorn should be unambiguous. You need now, to make sure, using the same method, that the same signal is being received at the controller end.
I have continuity all the way to the connector plug, the signal goes to the servo motor controller.

At least on the acorn it changes, forward is approx. 0.0419v and reverse is 23.236v. (when the connector is plugged between the acorn and the servomotor controller)

but

At least on the acorn it changes, forward is approx. 0.0v and reverse is 1.5v. (when the connector is not plugged in between the acorn and the servomotor controller)

On the other hand, I am still not clear which signal centroid acorn uses?

dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

It's a couple of years since I set things up, but I think it's pulse + sign. I have always though this was step and direction, but I'm making assumptions here.
It's important to make sure that the servo controller is configured to accept the type of signals output by the acorn.
rruizvial

Post by rruizvial »

dmbgo wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:07 am It's a couple of years since I set things up, but I think it's pulse + sign. I have always though this was step and direction, but I'm making assumptions here.
It's important to make sure that the servo controller is configured to accept the type of signals output by the acorn.

Yes, I will go to sleep now, I have been trying all day to get the shaft to rotate in reverse, but the truth is, I don't know what's going on.

I also noticed that -dir does change from 0 to 24v, so there is a signal change. The problem is that the motor controller does the same thing, it does not detect such a change and just rotates forward.

Tomorrow I will take the controller off the board and open it up looking for some kind of physical hardware failure.

The weird thing is that everything here is 24v or 0v, nothing should be burned out.
Attachments
report_7804738481A4-0130191589_2022-02-23_01-04-16.zip
(665.57 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
rruizvial

Post by rruizvial »

Today I reinstalled the original XHC driver of the machine, and I get the same result.

There is no reverse, it always turns to the same side.

The problem is the motor controller, but the strange thing is that in my case, I have an Adtech controller and Adtech motor, both with 24v.

Is Adtech a sensitive motor controller, it must have been defective from the factory, as I don't remember if the fourth axis was moving forward and backward. I figured it was just a configuration problem, but apparently I'll have to take it out and see if anything is burnt.

I don't like the fact that the servomotor controller can't flag the rotation error, if it has an encoder that can do it. There is a problem there, apparently the motor controller is not a robust fault tolerant design. If that controller were in the X, Y or Z axis, it would have a catastrophic error by crashing the tool into the part or going out of physical limits.

Now I am more concerned about whether I should continue with my migration to centroid, with this kind of failure. If I install another servo motor controller, I might also mess it up.

I don't have the experience of @dmbgo to fix that servo motor controller.

Tomorrow afternoon with the servo motor controller disassembled, I will make a decision on this.