DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Can't setup homing switches (Resolved)

Post by Oldboy79 »

Hello,
Cannot setup Homing switches!!

I have een using the latest version of Mach3 on my mill for a couple of years off and on and finally decided to use my Chinese USB motion card to control the 2.2Kw 24000rpm 400Hz spindle as well via my VFD, it worked well if I used manual switches but would not work form the motion card outputs. I spent a few days fiddling but could not get it to work. I had another new Chinese USB motion card I had bought 3 years earlier that worked well but again could not get the spindle to work through the output port. I bought the Acorn kit and the CNC12 Pro version of the software in November 2017 and thought I would try it, as my machine was already partially built it was a retrofit situation. I managed to get all four axes to work running in the right direction and running at the correct speeds for me, however, when it came to getting the homing switches setup it was a different matter. I use NPN inductive proximity devices for my home switches as per the specs in the file and they worked well with the diagnostic lights going on and off when the 3 axes were driven to and from them (I don't have a home switch on the A axis) I also checked the voltages at the board inputs 1,2, 3 were 24 volts (when not activated and almost zero activated). The software limits were also OK after homing the axes manually. Now I can't even do that. I don't use the Limit sw. or E- stop functions on the Acorn board as I dont trust software to prevent a crash. I use 2 E-stop switches and 6 micro switches to prevent crashes They are wired seperately form the acorn through a latching relay and when any of them are opened contactors are deactivated killing the VFD and the motor supplies, they have been totally reliable with all the mistakes I made while learning in the last 2 years. I see a lot of comments saying that the stored energy in the driver capacitors allows the motors to fun on but in my case they do not run on at all when the limit switches are triggered. The drivers are powered from a torroidal tranformer 220vac input 70vac 16 amp output, it's possible it could be under powered as the drivers are capable ofsupplying 6amps each but due to the diversity principle this is not likely, that is the reason I have an ammeter in series with the VFD and in series with the stepper motor drivers (they can be switched on and off individually). When I used the drivers before I used them in common cathode mode due to the reqirements of my motion card with Acorn I use common anode configuation (the driver manual says 24v or 5v can be used but as I needed a 5v supply for the 8 relay board I also used it for Step and Dir signals as well). The enable signal has to be held high otherwise the motor will not work ,it can be left open but I prefer it to be held to a hard 5 v. The VFD is switched off via a separate contactor and the analog and spindle outputs are not connected to acorn at this point. I hope you can help me out, I expect I have done something stupid or not done something I should have.
Regards
David Pollack

Pics.
1)Initial setup, 2)Inputs, 3)Outputs, 4) Step rate, 5)Axes setup, 6)Homing and travel

7)Initial Acorn screen, 8) After pressing Restart + Cycle start ( I definitely do not have any home switch activated). You will notice the homing and travel configuration order is: X4, Y3, 2Z ,A2 I set it to: X3, Y2, Z1, A0 and saved it, then power cycled Acorn and checked it again, it had changed back to the above order, I did this twice and the same thing happened!!

9) Report file - Latest

Machine :
13 )All, Mini computer in left foreground, 11)Guts, 8 relay board and 5v SMPS (right lower side), 12)A Axis (temporary), 14) Acorn, 15) Cable connections, silver cable in foreground is spindle conn. wrapped in sticky metallized tape as ground shield connected to control box frame also one cable for limit switches + 3 for home switches. Each driver has pwr and feedback cables. (hybrid).

Notes: Driver manual, Proximity switches, Acorn ccts.

Pics/images Link below

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpm24jtpb09p ... t_vQa?dl=0
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Re: Can't setup homing switches

Post by swissi »

Oldboy79,

I can't see the report file in the Dropbox folder. Where is it? You configured your home switches as Normally Closed (NC). Are you sure they are of Type NC?

Can you also post a picture of the label that's on the Home Switches?

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

I agree with Swissi. You show in your input Wizard screen you have the switches set to Normally Closed.
The error you are getting is indicating that home switch circuit is open and not closed.
So, as Swissi pointed out, you need to check that circuit.
From the main CNC12 screen, open the diagnostic screen, Alt+i, look at the top, left most row of LEDs. The first 8 are your inputs. (Incidentally the second row, left most are your first 8 outputs)

Your Input 1,2,3 LEDs should be GREEN not red. If they are Red, then either you don't have your switches wired correctly.
Take a screen shot of the diagnostic page. Pressing Alt+i again will turn the diagnostic screen off.
Post here
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

As for your "TRUST" issue with Acorn. It is a non issue IF YOU set it up correctly, CNC12 is quite reliable.

PLEASE Post a Fresh report here. I don't see it in your drop box either.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Oldboy79
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1205170306

Post by Oldboy79 »

Thanks to swissi and Marty, I knew it was something simple, for some reason I had the logic in my head reversed, as soon as I saw your comments I realized the problem. Regarding my dropbox I thought I had loaded the report file and the other notes, I have never used dropbox before and still getting used to it. Next time I will load all the data at the same time . Everything is working as it should now. Thanks again.
David Pollack