Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tablet control

Post by Capnmax »

Wondering if it's possible to use a Windows 10 tablet with a usb->ethernet adapter for control software?

Tablets are cheaper and more functional than touchscreen monitors so would be a better option for me.

Thanks!

Max
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Tablet control

Post by martyscncgarage »

Capnmax wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:54 pm Wondering if it's possible to use a Windows 10 tablet with a usb->ethernet adapter for control software?

Tablets are cheaper and more functional than touchscreen monitors so would be a better option for me.

Thanks!

Max
Not likely.
Must meet these minimum system requirements:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/cnc_pc_perf ... ments.html

You can buy all in one touch computers fairly reasonable. Not my favorite way to go because you put all your computer eggs in one basket. Monitor dies, computer goes with the all in one and vice versa. I prefer separate monitor and SMALL PC attached to the back of it. You'd be surprised how inexpensive this can be (Relative to what you consider inexpensive)

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Windows 10 tablets will certainly meet the minimum specs, my girlfriend has a Microsoft Surface Pro with WIN 10 and it has the RAM required and the i5-8250U CPU has a single thread rating of 1983 but there's no ethernet port of course. Microsoft sells a USB-C to ethernet adaptor but I am not sure how Acorn would see it or how it would work. All the Surface Pro's can easily display 1920x1080 with no issues. In fact, that is the lowest resolution on them and they go even higher. If she has the USB-C to ethernet adaptor I'll try it but I'm sure someone already has and will report back. :mrgreen:
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

ShawnM wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:14 pm Windows 10 tablets will certainly meet the minimum specs, my girlfriend has a Microsoft Surface Pro with WIN 10 and it has the RAM required and the i5-8250U CPU has a single thread rating of 1983 but there's no ethernet port of course. Microsoft sells a USB-C to ethernet adaptor but I am not sure how Acorn would see it or how it would work. All the Surface Pro's can easily display 1920x1080 with no issues. In fact, that is the lowest resolution on them and they go even higher. If she has the USB-C to ethernet adaptor I'll try it but I'm sure someone already has and will report back. :mrgreen:
There are tablets out there for sure....whether or not the original poster's meets the minimum is in question. I am not so sure I would use one (or a notebook for that matter, because of the proprietary power saving features built in. Though I know some are using theirs with reasonable success.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Capnmax
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Capnmax »

Based on combing over benchmark tests of different tablets out there, very few actually meet or exceed the 1500 single thread performance required. Surface 7 looks like it would be fast enough, but uncertain as to whether the USB 3.0 -> Ethernet adapter would be compatible and meet minimum speed requirements of the software.