Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Wiring a Automation Directs GS4 VFD

Post by martyscncgarage »

Most VFD's have a curve. You might take a look at the manual to see which its defaulting to. You want one pretty linear.
Low end RPM is a little more important than upper end, but remember, because you have an encoder, CNC12 will slave the Z axis to the spindle RPM. So being dead nuts isn't that critical.

Do follow Centroid Tech Bulletin 304 for setting up Rigid Tapping with Acorn:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/304.pdf

Try tapping at 600rpm. Buy a block of machinable wax (Amazon, other sources too) to practice on. If you can tap in machinable wax and screw your bolt into it, should be good to go.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

DLAM wrote:The measurement are
S350 - 1.23V - 380 RPM (mean RPM by the encoder)
s700- 2.22V - 679 RPM (mean RPM by the encoder)
S1750 - 5.17V - 1564 RPM (mean RPM by the encoder)
s3150 - 9.1V - 2770 RPM (mean RPM by the encoder)
S3500 - 10.17V - 3016 RPM (mean RPM by the encoder)
I think you are still having interference issues, though they are not as severe as they were when you started. If you have access to an oscilloscope you could see what the analog voltage lines look like, with and without the various drives powered and/or enabled.

That said, it does look like you have reasonably usable speed control now.

You could probably play around with inverter parameters 4.10, 4.11 and 4.12 to better align the drive's speed response to the (distorted) analog reference. For example, P4.10 = -3.0%, P4.11 = 1, and P4.12 = 101% might get it close. You should be able to use P4.10 to line up the low-end speeds (ca. 300 RPM), then use the maximum output frequency and Centroid's Control Configuration maximum RPM to line up the high-end speeds (ca. 3000 RPM).
DLAM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by DLAM »

Unfortunately, I do not have an O-scope, and trying to locate one to use has proven to be difficult. I have been studying the VFD manual and have identified A couple of these parameters to try to get things a little closer. P4.13 is a filter setting if I increase this number will it smooth the signal?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

It looks like P4.13 would be worth trying. Maybe 0.50 seconds?

I think you will still need a bias value (P4.10 = some modest negative percentage, P4.11 = 1) to get the low-end speeds dialed in.