CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: ProbeApp Official Release: Public Trial ***EXPIRED***

Post by swissi »

jasonstewart81 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:52 am
CNCMaryland wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:21 pm
Oh I've watched that video many times and I get it. I'm just wondering is there anything maybe slightly different when measuring a touch probe to add it to the tool library as maybe T99 and using it as a reference tool for setting up my WCS so that any other subsequent tool changes follow along with the correct offsets. Do I just treat the touch probe like any other tool since pre-travel is almost 0 when touching off in the Z axis.

You posted your question in an expired ProbeApp thread. If you have questions about the ProbeApp, please post in the new thread here.

You mentioned that you have a spindle with a non-fixed, collet style tool holder. That means you cannot use the method that Keith describes in this video as this video shows the process for fixed tool holding. With collet style tool holding, the tool and/or the touch probe will have a different length every time you change the tool so it's really pointless in this case to store the tool length in the tool offset library as the length will change the next time you use that tool or touch probe. You need to measure each tool again after each tool change.

As you have posted in the ProbeApp thread, I assume you are using the ProbeApp and the ProbeApp does have the "Tool Setter" cycle that's specifically designed for machines with non-fixed tool holding to integrate the tool change and tool length measuring process into the job flow without the need to stop/restart a running job.

There are two supported methods in the Tool Setter cycle of the ProbeApp, one is the single TT method with a movable Tool Touch Off Plate (TT) and a dual TT method with a fixed and a movable TT where the fixed TT could also be the same as the movable TT just always placed at the same location on the machine table for a fix TT touch off. The dual TT method will give you more automation as all subsequent tools will automatically be measured with the fixed TT. It also allows to use the touch probe (TP) to initially set WCS X0 Y0 and set the reference distance between the top of the workpiece and the top of the fixed TT. This reference distance is used for subsequent tool changes to always adjust WCS Z0 to the bottom of the tool touching the top of the workpiece.

There is a separate thread on the Centroid forum describing this process: Guide on how to measure Tool Heights and set WCS Z0 on a Router or Mill with none-fixed Tool Holders most efficiently

It's also described in the Tool Setter chapter of the ProbeApp User Guide.

Let me know if you have any more questions or something is still unclear.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
jasonstewart81
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes

Post by jasonstewart81 »

I apologize for posting in this expired thread. Should I reply to your comment here or in the active ProbeApp thread?
swissi

Post by swissi »

jasonstewart81 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:36 am I apologize for posting in this expired thread. Should I reply to your comment here or in the active ProbeApp thread?
Keep this subject here.

-swissi
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

jasonstewart81

Post by jasonstewart81 »

swissi wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:26 pm
jasonstewart81 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:36 am I apologize for posting in this expired thread. Should I reply to your comment here or in the active ProbeApp thread?
Keep this subject here.

-swissi
Ok, great. Yeah I figured it would be easier. I don't wanna take up your time. So my thoughts were this, using stop collars on my endmills in conjunction with the non-fixed ER style collets so that I can set up an actual tool library with offsets so that any tool changes will just be ready to go. Maybe that's not the best way to go about it, but in my head I figured I'd be easier. For the record the TP and TT I have are the ones by Vers.by. I was essentially just looking for a work flow where I use the TP as my reference tool to initially set WCS 0 (XYZ) and use the TT (movable but at a specific location most likely at machine XY home) to set all my other tool offsets from. I do have your ProbeApp and I do finally have my Acorn up and running and moving the machine around at this point. Not completely finished yet, but finished enough to where I can start testing and trying probing routines to get familiar with it.

VideoCapture_20211104-140237.jpg
swissi

Post by swissi »

jasonstewart81 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:01 pm
swissi wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:26 pm
Keep this subject here.

-swissi
Ok, great. Yeah I figured it would be easier. I don't wanna take up your time. So my thoughts were this, using stop collars on my endmills in conjunction with the non-fixed ER style collets so that I can set up an actual tool library with offsets so that any tool changes will just be ready to go. Maybe that's not the best way to go about it, but in my head I figured I'd be easier. For the record the TP and TT I have are the ones by Vers.by. I was essentially just looking for a work flow where I use the TP as my reference tool to initially set WCS 0 (XYZ) and use the TT (movable but at a specific location most likely at machine XY home) to set all my other tool offsets from. I do have your ProbeApp and I do finally have my Acorn up and running and moving the machine around at this point. Not completely finished yet, but finished enough to where I can start testing and trying probing routines to get familiar with it.

VideoCapture_20211104-140237.jpg
You have to test what repeatable tool height accuracy you can get with stop collets and if this accuracy is acceptable for what you are doing.

If it is, then you can definitely go through the ProbeApp Setup Questionnaire and configure the ProbeApp for fixed tool holding and set the reference height at the machine coordinate Z0 position. Then use the ProbeApp - Tool Library Manager to setup all your tools including the Touch Probe. Make sure the CNC12 parameter 12 matches the T# of your touch probe in the CNC12 tool library.

-swissi

jasonstewart81

Post by jasonstewart81 »

Thank you sir. Yeah I'll just have to play around a bit and then if I run into issues or get stumped I'll be back to ask more questions. Appreciate your time and thank you for such an awesome App.