Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: haven't installed CNC12 yet
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: ProbeApp Official Release: Public Trial

Post by tkbot47 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:50 am
Muzzer wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:41 am Hi Swissi - you seem to be making good progress here. If there is anything I can do to test / confirm, let me know but your understanding of the system seems to be way ahead of mine!
Let's let Centroid address what Swissi found and then yes, you should continue testing it until it is resolved.

What WE must understand, there are all experience levels using Centroid. We can't assume everyone is at a certain knowledge level. Its best to explain things in the most simplest forms and I think videos go a LONG way to understanding how things are being used.

I DO NOT know all there is about CNC12. Clearly understanding tool setting options in CNC12 and explaining the different possibilities clearly would be great.

Bottom line, we learn from each other and collectively we can make things better. Whether its CNC12, macros like Swissi took the time to put together, or wiring a cabinet. WE all have something to contribute!

Marty
Marty,

Thanks for the above statement. For those of us that don't have the level of expertise in setting up probing, I'm really hoping that what will come out of this interesting discussion is a step by step explanation, video or otherwise, of how to properly do this with both conductive and the KP-3 probe. There are many things I'm not clear about to use the KP-3 probe as a Z probe.

Tom
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

tkbot47 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:33 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:50 am
Muzzer wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:41 am Hi Swissi - you seem to be making good progress here. If there is anything I can do to test / confirm, let me know but your understanding of the system seems to be way ahead of mine!
Let's let Centroid address what Swissi found and then yes, you should continue testing it until it is resolved.

What WE must understand, there are all experience levels using Centroid. We can't assume everyone is at a certain knowledge level. Its best to explain things in the most simplest forms and I think videos go a LONG way to understanding how things are being used.

I DO NOT know all there is about CNC12. Clearly understanding tool setting options in CNC12 and explaining the different possibilities clearly would be great.

Bottom line, we learn from each other and collectively we can make things better. Whether its CNC12, macros like Swissi took the time to put together, or wiring a cabinet. WE all have something to contribute!

Marty
Marty,

Thanks for the above statement. For those of us that don't have the level of expertise in setting up probing, I'm really hoping that what will come out of this interesting discussion is a step by step explanation, video or otherwise, of how to properly do this with both conductive and the KP-3 probe. There are many things I'm not clear about to use the KP-3 probe as a Z probe.

Tom
I recognize the need for good series of probing videos. I have to get my head wrapped around the different ways that are available to explain them myself.

In order to create the app that Swissi has done, he has had to delve into this area. He is becoming the "expert" in this area whether he knows it or not. :D

I have too many irons in the fire right now. The most important to me is to help create the Acorn Installation manual and an updated video series. It is also important to Centroid and they are working on it.

Then maybe circle back to this topic....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tkbot47
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by tkbot47 »

Marty,
Sorry.....I didn't mean to insinuate it was your job to do the step by step. I'm hoping that someone will be able to do that to help those of us that don't have the expertise to delve into the details like parameter settings, etc, and just want to use the probing functions or app as intended, with correct results.
Any help from this forum is greatly appreciated - what we get here is FAR better than other forums I've experienced.
Tom
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

tkbot47 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:14 pm Marty,
Sorry.....I didn't mean to insinuate it was your job to do the step by step. I'm hoping that someone will be able to do that to help those of us that don't have the expertise to delve into the details like parameter settings, etc, and just want to use the probing functions or app as intended, with correct results.
Any help from this forum is greatly appreciated - what we get here is FAR better than other forums I've experienced.
Tom
No insinuation taken. I agree with your statements, Methods of using touch probes, probes, methods for setting Z reference is a good topic for videos and better documentation. (At least the most common methods)
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tkbot47

Post by tkbot47 »

While I'm on the topic, and I may have missed it in some post, when using the KP-3 probe, is there a known Z offset to use between the probe tip and true contacted surface zero? I have in the past used non conducting zero plates with known thickness to measure conducting tool bits and obtain surface zero and subsequent offsets for other tools, but it's not clear to me how to do that with the KP-3.
slodat
CNC11: No

Post by slodat »

tkbot47- This is how I do it.

I use my probe to set WCS X, Y and Z zero on every part I run. Works great!
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

tkbot47 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:38 pm While I'm on the topic, and I may have missed it in some post, when using the KP-3 probe, is there a known Z offset to use between the probe tip and true contacted surface zero? I have in the past used non conducting zero plates with known thickness to measure conducting tool bits and obtain surface zero and subsequent offsets for other tools, but it's not clear to me how to do that with the KP-3.
If you mean with "known Z offset" if there is any pre-travel distance from the moment the probe touches the surface to the point where the probe actually trips, the answer is: there's no offset. If you trip a probe in the vertical axis, there's no deflection of the styli and the trip mechanism usually reacts within a couple of micrometers. You have to keep in mind that the latency of the Acorn Inputs is about 5 milliseconds. If you keep the probing speeds within the Acorn defaults this latency is not a problem but if you are going to configure faster probing speeds you need to calculate how far your machine will travel within those 5 milliseconds in order to determine if this is still in an acceptable range of position error that will occur.

Now if you were asking if the probe must have a Z Height Offset in the Tool Offset Library, the answer is: It depends on the type of machine you have and how you set the Z Reference Point. I know I have mentioned in this thread that I will do a separate post on this subject but after reading Marc's (cncsnw) Guide on his website there's no need to reinvent the wheel as I could not explain it any better than Marc did.

So if anybody is interested in this subject, have a look at Marc's Guide: http://cncsnw.com/OLEM.htm

I know it's not a video but you will learn a lot nevertheless, I promise :)

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
tkbot47

Post by tkbot47 »

slodat wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:39 pm tkbot47- This is how I do it.

I use my probe to set WCS X, Y and Z zero on every part I run. Works great!
slodat,

Thanks! I suspected the method was something like this, where you used a passive (non moving, known height) conductive height measurement tool like TT-1. My only question is does the KP-3 have a precisely repeatable deflection action, so repeated Z probings on an unyielding surface like the TT-1 are repeatable?
slodat

Post by slodat »

Ahh.. I use a non-conductive tool touch-off device. My probe (Hallmark ITTP) doesn't actuate when it contacts the Metrol switch. This is working very well for me.
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

tkbot47 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm My only question is does the KP-3 have a precisely repeatable deflection action, so repeated Z probings on an unyielding surface like the TT-1 are repeatable?
Absolutely.
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com