Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: ProbeApp Official Release: Public Trial

Post by Muzzer »

There's a hierarchy of contact forces here. The touch probe (ITTP, Renishaw etc) needs to apply less trigger pressure than the tool setter, as noted. But when you (ahem) need to replace the probe tip on a touch probe and adjust out the runout, you need a test indicator that applies less force than the touch probe trigger pressure. I have a small Mitutoyo DTI that does the trick, whereas my other DTIs have stiffer return springs and can't be used to set up the touch probe.
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

Muzzer wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:16 pm There's a hierarchy of contact forces here. The touch probe (ITTP, Renishaw etc) needs to apply less trigger pressure than the tool setter...
Just for the record: If a Touch Probe is being used to touch off of a Tool Touch Off device, it doesn't matter which one of the devices is creating the trigger signal. If the Tool Touch Off device is just a simple conductive plate, it's a given that the Touch Probe device will trigger but if the Touch Off device has a spring loaded plate, it will be the device that has less spring force. In any case the measurement will be valid as both devices generally have a negligible pre-travel along the Z-Axis.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
swissi

Post by swissi »

I have posted a new version 1.1 in the first post of this thread that has some improvements in the Tool Setter Cycle (Balloon Help on the Cycle Configuration Page). All other cycles remained the same.

I have also posted a Guide on how to setup and use the Tool Setter Cycle of the ProbeApp to measure Tool Height Offsets and set WCS Z0 on machines with spindles that have non-fixed tool holders like this

Pic1.jpg

If your machine has such a spindle you should check out this Guide and put the Tool Setter to the test to appreciate the improvements the Tool Setter will give you.

Don't be discouraged by the long winded Guide as it is written for beginners and goes into every detail the cycle does for those who want to know. If you are an experienced user, you will be able to skip through most of it and configure the cycle for your machine in a couple of minutes.

Try it out and I promise you will be glad you did.

-swissi
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

swissi

Post by swissi »

A new version 1.2 of the ProbeApp has been posted in the first post of this thread.

Version 1.2 has added features in the Tool Setter Cycle based on feedback from this thread

The User Guide has been updated to reflect the changes.

-swissi

swissi

Post by swissi »

Just a remainder that the ProbeApp Public Trial will expire by end of August so if you want to give the ProbeApp a try, do it this week end.

Also the offer still stands that the first 3 people posting a short video showing how they are using the ProbeApp with their machine will get a free license :o

Please post here if you have any questions or comments about the ProbeApp.

Thanks to all the supporters who have made a donation so far.

-swissi

john543
CNC Control System Serial Number: E06234795241-0928215226

Post by john543 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:07 pm
carbuthn wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:00 pm Muzzer & Swissi,

I have used the ProbeApp about 50 times, it has worked very well for me, but it sounds like Muzzer may be running into something that I experienced.

In my setup my probe (Hallmark ITTP) is assigned to Tool #10, I put it into my mill and used the tool setter in ProbeApp to measure the touch probe. I then went through all of the tool holder and used the auto measure to measure the offsets of each tool.

When I put a piece of stock into the vise I used the 3 axis probe cycle to measure the stock and setup zero location for X, Y & Z axis. I changed the Tool out in the quill, but DID NOT use the MDI to command the tool change (i.e. CNC12 still thinks it has the tool setter), when I lowered the new tool it didn't have the correct offset applied. When I ran a program that called for a tool change it new tool had the correct Z height and cut as it should.

Just a guess, but it sounds like what I saw, and not an issue if you tell CNC12 which tool you are using.
Chuck
That statement seems to bite most a time or two. After a crash, we seem to get it. :lol:
GOT to tell CNC12 WHICH tool is in the spindle when you set Part Zero.
This explains my crashing lol, I think I've watched Keiths video a 100 times and tonight it came to me reading this post. Once I set all my tools to the reference tool before running a job when setting the part I have to put the tool number I'm setting the part offset with. I do have a question do I really need to have a special ref tool or can I use my TP as the reference tool?

John
centroidsupport
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: ProbeApp Official Release: Public Trial ***EXPIRED***

Post by centroidsupport »

Yes, you absolutely can use the probe as your reference tool.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
jasonstewart81

Post by jasonstewart81 »

Please forgive my newb question as I'm not exactly new new to cnc, but I am however new to finally having the ability to use a legitimate kinematic style touch probe and tool setter. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to let CNC12 know the length of both my touch probe and tool setter so that all my tools in the library can play nicely together. My machine is a Onefinity CNC router and my router (soon to be spindle) are of the non-fixed type ER collet style. I'm assuming that I'd want to use my touch probe as my reference tool so that when probing XYZ it'll take into account its length so that when I load in my first tool it will know the offset and all is good. Long story short is, how do I accurately use the machine to measure my touch probes length? Do I drop the Z axis down with nothing in the collet to a surface and zero my Z axis followed by raising the Z axis, loading the touch probe in, dropping it down to the same surface and taking note of the in/mm valve difference from where I last zeroed the DRO which then tells me the length of my TP when it has triggered?
CNCMaryland
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CBF8b-103011290

Post by CNCMaryland »

jasonstewart81 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:56 pm Please forgive my newb question as I'm not exactly new new to cnc, but I am however new to finally having the ability to use a legitimate kinematic style touch probe and tool setter. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to let CNC12 know the length of both my touch probe and tool setter so that all my tools in the library can play nicely together. My machine is a Onefinity CNC router and my router (soon to be spindle) are of the non-fixed type ER collet style. I'm assuming that I'd want to use my touch probe as my reference tool so that when probing XYZ it'll take into account its length so that when I load in my first tool it will know the offset and all is good. Long story short is, how do I accurately use the machine to measure my touch probes length? Do I drop the Z axis down with nothing in the collet to a surface and zero my Z axis followed by raising the Z axis, loading the touch probe in, dropping it down to the same surface and taking note of the in/mm valve difference from where I last zeroed the DRO which then tells me the length of my TP when it has triggered?
jasonstewart81

Post by jasonstewart81 »

CNCMaryland wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:21 pm
Oh I've watched that video many times and I get it. I'm just wondering is there anything maybe slightly different when measuring a touch probe to add it to the tool library as maybe T99 and using it as a reference tool for setting up my WCS so that any other subsequent tool changes follow along with the correct offsets. Do I just treat the touch probe like any other tool since pre-travel is almost 0 when touching off in the Z axis.