CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Configuring the VCP for my portable CNC production lathe

Post by briuz »

Hello,

I am busy configuring the VCP for my shop built portable cnc production lathe and figured I'd post some info about it and see if anyone has any ideas for improvement.

The big top right-hand framed area has the controls for the electric collet closer. The top middle button opens the collet and the top right button closes the collet. The bottom left button sets the collet closed position. The bottom center button adjusts the collet closer in the open direction and the bottom right button adjusts the collet closer in the closed direction.

The second right-hand framed area (one button high and three across) has 2 buttons. This section is for setting up the master tool so as to simplify setting the tool offsets for the 16 position turret. The blank area, to the left, is for a possible future graphic. The center button is to set the master tool relative to the stylus. The right button restores the master tool relative to the spindle. (Assuming the operator already had the master tool set properly.) So, the process would be to install the stylus and jog to master tool to within 0.500 of the end of the stylus then click the bottom center button (in that frame). The master tool would then be set relative to the stylus. The other 15 tools would then be setup using Centroid's automatic tool setting system. Afterwards, the master tool would then be set and the right-hand button would be clicked on to restore the master tool's position relative to the spindle.

The A Axis buttons are for the turret and should probably be removed as the turret is set by homing, by using the ATC features, and by doing a tool change. i.e. Txxyy

I may remove the Set Axis 0 button, too, as I haven't thought of a good reason the axis needs set to zero when I'd just setup the part in the lathe.

Thanks!
screenshot.png
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Configuring the VCP for my portable CNC production lathe

Post by martyscncgarage »

Without knowing your machine, these are all personal preference items unique to YOUR machine and how you want to control it.
I find it odd at first glance to see an B and an A axis, but have no idea how you have the machine setup.

You have found how powerful the new VCP 2.0 is....

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
briuz
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by briuz »

The A Axis is the axis for the Turret. The B axis is the stepper motor for the collet closer. I'd like to find a way to remove the displays for those axis as they aren't necessary.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

See Parameters 91 - 94 in the manual.

For example, if you add 512 to Parameter 93, that will hide the 3rd axis from the DRO.
briuz
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by briuz »

Thanks! That did it. Only the X and Z axes are now shown.
cncsnw wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:31 pm See Parameters 91 - 94 in the manual.

For example, if you add 512 to Parameter 93, that will hide the 3rd axis from the DRO.