Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Unable to Communicate with Acorn

Post by DLAM »

Hello all! I powered up my lathe project last evening to start the final install of components and ran into what I think is a noise (EMI) issue. I search the site and could not find any similar topic except for checking the static IP address (which I did).
Last evening, I powered up acorn, cncpc and the Estop circuit to verify everything was working so far on the installation. No problems, Acorn Powered up and communicated with CNCPC and I was able to configure the E-Stop circuit and the contactors for VFD and servo drives fired correctly. No input power was connected to the contactors.
This morning I connected the power for the Servo Drives in order to step through the process and now I get an error message stating that unable to connect to Acorn. I checked that the Ethernet cable was connected. I pinged the IP Address and it saw Acorn. So, I tried it again and still no communications with Acorn. I disconnected the power to the Servo Drives and everything work correctly as it did last evening.
To make a long story shorter think, I disconnected and connected at various points and think I isolated the problem to a terminal block where I split the power for the servo drives.
I am using 2 DYN-4 Servo drives and they are wired per the attached schematic. I have a RFI filter and line reactor inline before the E Stop Contactor. Then a terminal block where there is a circuit for servo power and logic power with a RFI filter for each axis. I installed snubbers on each of my contactor coils. I attached a report from when the system is working properly.
Has anyone ran into a problem like this and what is the best method to identify and rectify the problem?
Attachments
report_F045DA7F9063-0111191533_2020-06-29_12-35-29.zip
(564.12 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
pg23.pdf
(79.34 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No

Re: Unable to Communicate with Acorn

Post by Dave_C »

I disconnected the power to the Servo Drives and everything work correctly as it did last evening.
DLM,

This sounds like the servo drives are dropping the voltage to the Acorn board.

With no pictures of your wiring I can only guess, not a great way to help, but are you running the Acorn board and the Drives off of the same power supply?

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
DLAM
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by DLAM »

The drives are powered by 220VAC Single phase. Acorn power supply comes off a terminal board that distributes the 220 VAC.
martyscncgarage
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

DLAM wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:31 pm Hello all! I powered up my lathe project last evening to start the final install of components and ran into what I think is a noise (EMI) issue. I search the site and could not find any similar topic except for checking the static IP address (which I did).
Last evening, I powered up acorn, cncpc and the Estop circuit to verify everything was working so far on the installation. No problems, Acorn Powered up and communicated with CNCPC and I was able to configure the E-Stop circuit and the contactors for VFD and servo drives fired correctly. No input power was connected to the contactors.
This morning I connected the power for the Servo Drives in order to step through the process and now I get an error message stating that unable to connect to Acorn. I checked that the Ethernet cable was connected. I pinged the IP Address and it saw Acorn. So, I tried it again and still no communications with Acorn. I disconnected the power to the Servo Drives and everything work correctly as it did last evening.
To make a long story shorter think, I disconnected and connected at various points and think I isolated the problem to a terminal block where I split the power for the servo drives.
I am using 2 DYN-4 Servo drives and they are wired per the attached schematic. I have a RFI filter and line reactor inline before the E Stop Contactor. Then a terminal block where there is a circuit for servo power and logic power with a RFI filter for each axis. I installed snubbers on each of my contactor coils. I attached a report from when the system is working properly.
Has anyone ran into a problem like this and what is the best method to identify and rectify the problem?
Yes, you have a noise issue. Go to F7 Utilities and then Logs and look at the error logs.
Noise.JPG
You have to track down and resolve the noise causing the resends.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Pictures of your control cabinet would be helpful. You DID use the shielded ethernet cable correct? How did you ground everything? Where is your VFD....pictures...
Mesa, AZ
DLAM

Post by DLAM »

Attached is a picture of my cabinet as a work in progress. I am using the shielded Ethernet cable that cam with Acorn. I ran all ground back to common point using DIN rail ground blocks. They are the green block in the bottom row of the cabinet. I do not have power ran to the VFD yet, but the VFD is mounted to the side of the cabinet. Even though everything is populated I am trying to set through in a logical sequence to hook everything up and get it configured so that is there is a problem (like this) it will be easier to track it down.
Attachments
IMG_0781.jpg
martyscncgarage

You will have to track down the source of the noise.
If you attempt to do a firmware upgrade with it like that, you could brick the Acorn.
I can see you tried to follow DMM's suggestions with multitude of relays and line reactor.
Lot of effort and expense.
In general you could have followed the Centroid Standard System Schematics as a guide.
Mesa, AZ
DLAM

Post by DLAM »

I tried to follow the guidance from DMM and Centroid. Is the excess filters and line reactor causing more EMI that is effecting the data path? I was trying to follow the guidance to help limit EMI.
martyscncgarage

DLAM wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:29 pm I tried to follow the guidance from DMM and Centroid. Is the excess filters and line reactor causing more EMI that is effecting the data path? I was trying to follow the guidance to help limit EMI.
I can't tell you that.
Its why I recommend you don't build the whole thing. Bench test one drive, one motor. Check your logs. You have it all built now.
Try a different ethernet cable. Make sure your PC has updated ethernet drivers etc. Simple stuff first.

Why 5 power supplies and 5 contactors? In the future, use din rail mounted power supplies...almost the same money.
Mesa, AZ
DLAM

Post by DLAM »

Acorn and the DMM Servos were bench tested and setup before being installed in the cabinet 3+ months ago. I did download in install V4.50 first thing at first power up in the cabinet (I am certain this is not a contributing factor to my problem). I tried to keep power separate from data signal in cabinet by trying to keep power to the bottom and right of the cabinet and signals to the top. My thought process for the contactors and power supplies is:
Power Supplies
1 - ACORN
2 - Ether 16161 Expansion board (not connected yet)
3 - Estop Contactor
4 - 24 VDC for turret (not connected yet)
5 - 12 VDC for turret (not connected yet)
The 24VDC and 12VDC power supplies for the turret is because I was having difficulty sourcing a dual voltage power supply.

Contactors:
1. VFD
2. Servo Drives
3. Coolant pump
4. Lube Pump
5. Machine light