Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Lost Y Axis!

Post by martyscncgarage »

WillCNC wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:30 pm I'm not sure if i should start a new thread or not but maybe you guys could point me in the right direction. I need to set Turns per Inch on the ballscrews and would like to get .001 or better accuracy. I'm not sure if I want to spend a minimum of $400 on a cheaper ebay DRO, is that my only option to get the mill to get that kind of precision?
Start your own new thread. I will delete this and your post as soon as you do.
Please be sure to follow this post:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Lost Y Axis!

Post by swissi »

WillCNC wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:30 pm ... would like to get .001 or better accuracy. I'm not sure if I want to spend a minimum of $400 on a cheaper ebay DRO, is that my only option to get the mill to get that kind of precision?
You need to be realistic with your expectations about accuracy, especially with such a small machine with a long Z-Axis.

Do a test by installing a tool into the spindle, place a dial indicator holder on the machine bed and point the indicator on the tool. Now just push and pull slightly with your hand on top of the Z-Axis and check what the indicator is doing while you just apply a little force. This is flex that the ball screw would not be able to fix so when you see how much this flex is, think again how much money you want to spend to increase accuracy.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com