defeat limits button not active (pretty sure I have it figured out)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: defeat limits button not active (pretty sure I have it figured out)

Post by martyscncgarage »

geckocycles wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:35 pm
cnckeith wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:30 am looking at the report.zip, there are no limits defined for any of the inputs by the Wizard.
are you confusing the difference between a limit switch and a home switch?
I was doing home in place and not using any switches for home.
Now I have it wired as Marty suggested and all is working, although I don't really like the auto home running X to the extreme and how long it takes. I'll just have to try it this way and see the reasoning. I had to move the mill to make more room for that extreme movement. I was going to move it again if I got it working anyway.

THX all again.
If the X switch can be moved, you can home where ever you like. Move it to the middle if you want. Then you would put soft limit travels in both the Travel- and Travel+ Wizard boxes.
I usually shut down with my X in the middle. When I start it up, I don't immediately home. I jog the axis close to home and THEN I press cycle start to home.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
geckocycles
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by geckocycles »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:41 pm
geckocycles wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:35 pm
cnckeith wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:30 am looking at the report.zip, there are no limits defined for any of the inputs by the Wizard.
are you confusing the difference between a limit switch and a home switch?
I was doing home in place and not using any switches for home.
Now I have it wired as Marty suggested and all is working, although I don't really like the auto home running X to the extreme and how long it takes. I'll just have to try it this way and see the reasoning. I had to move the mill to make more room for that extreme movement. I was going to move it again if I got it working anyway.

THX all again.
If the X switch can be moved, you can home where ever you like. Move it to the middle if you want. Then you would put soft limit travels in both the Travel- and Travel+ Wizard boxes.
I usually shut down with my X in the middle. When I start it up, I don't immediately home. I jog the axis close to home and THEN I press cycle start to home.

Marty
I'm pretty sure I can mount a ramp in the middle of the table and then use the ramps at the end of the travel for limits and do software limits.
I noticed that if you jog to home limit switches you don't have to defeat limit to move off of them after it stops.

THe Estop I have, that has a twist lock on it, only has one NC contact terminals. I have 2 others that don't twistlock and they have multiple poles. Is the twist to unlock desirable?
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

Each switch has it's own ramp. THe switches are mounted on top of each other and are in the center of travel on X&Y.
If you had a home switch in the middle of the table wouldn't it trip when you travel past it during operation or would that switch only be active in a homing command?
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

geckocycles wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:14 pm Each switch has it's own ramp. THe switches are mounted on top of each other and are in the center of travel on X&Y.
If you had a home switch in the middle of the table wouldn't it trip when you travel past it during operation or would that switch only be active in a homing command?
Not if it is a home switch...
If it's a Home Limit yes.
Frankly I would just jog your axis close to the x switch and then home it. Like I mentioned previously, I park my table in the middle. When I start up next time, I rapidly jog it close to the X- home switch and then press cycle start to home. Quicker than waiting for the machine to slow jog to seek the switch and no big deal. You only do it in start up.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:31 pm
geckocycles wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:14 pm Each switch has it's own ramp. THe switches are mounted on top of each other and are in the center of travel on X&Y.
Not if it is a home switch...
If it's a Home Limit yes.
Frankly I would just jog your axis close to the x switch and then home it. Like I mentioned previously, I park my table in the middle. When I start up next time, I rapidly jog it close to the X- home switch and then press cycle start to home. Quicker than waiting for the machine to slow jog to seek the switch and no big deal. You only do it in start up.
I get it. THX