CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

no axis movement issue

Post by superpot »

Hi everyone, a quick question if I may.

I fear I am doing something wrong within settings of the wizard. I installed successfully version 4.5 and went through the whole process of setting up with the DMM servo motors and drives. After running the tuning cable and auto tuning each axis all seemed well and motors went through the movement to complete the settings. They were saved in DMM software. It's clear that they are communicating via the RS232. I changed to pulse \ dir before saving .
I then set up all in acorn wizard as per instructions but the issue I have is that there is no movement of any of the axis motors physically but the screen DRO shows them as moving? Is this just something very simple that I have set or not set? What am I missing? Can anyone assist me?

Jeff
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Re: no axis movement issue

Post by cnckeith »

Jeff,
hello. please follow the posting guidelines so we all can help you out.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by martyscncgarage »

superpot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:30 am Hi everyone, a quick question if I may.

I fear I am doing something wrong within settings of the wizard. I installed successfully version 4.5 and went through the whole process of setting up with the DMM servo motors and drives. After running the tuning cable and auto tuning each axis all seemed well and motors went through the movement to complete the settings. They were saved in DMM software. It's clear that they are communicating via the RS232. I changed to pulse \ dir before saving .
I then set up all in acorn wizard as per instructions but the issue I have is that there is no movement of any of the axis motors physically but the screen DRO shows them as moving? Is this just something very simple that I have set or not set? What am I missing? Can anyone assist me?

Jeff
We can't "SEE" what you see. Please follow the instructions posted by Keith.
How did you wire the drives? Did YOU make up the cable or did you buy it from DMM?
Pictures please
Also, take the time to SEARCH this forum for DYN4
Do some leg work. Many have switched to connecting to the DB25 on Acorn via a DB25 male break out board commonly found on Amazon
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
superpot
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by superpot »

Thanks Keith and Marty,
I have done a report but am unsure on how to send it and add images direct from my PC?

The drives are DMM DYN4 running 3 x 750w motors and one 400w motor.

The cables are as supplied by DMM and wired into the board as per schematics.

I did buy a DB25 breakout board but why wouldn't the connections on the board work?

I have done some "leg work" and will continue to do so as you advise. What seems strange to me is I don't know how but at one point I had the axis all moving then installed V4.5 and now have this problem. To be honest I am not sure what I did to get them working but when I did they were obviously not "correct" as the table moved 100mm for example and the DRO on screen showed 400 or thereabouts so guess that is down to the ratio settings and calibration but I can't do that until the motors are working from Acorn. The machine is a Bridgeport sized knee mill.

I have a few photos but I don't know how to upload them.

TIA , Jeff
martyscncgarage

Below the subject box where you type your message, click on Full Editor & Preview
THEN click on the Attachments tab. That's where you upload pictures.

First, are you using version 4.5 software? If not, please start over and load it. You can find it here:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... loads.html

Make sure you load DYN4

Earlier versions mixed DYN4 and DYN2
You can certainly try and use the header connection. It does work.
You can also create a google album of your build and just share a link here

Marty
Mesa, AZ
superpot

Post by superpot »

A quick update for anyone interested...... This morning I managed to autotune all the drives again and go through the parameter set ups.

I set as advised in DMM to set up 2000 and in acorn at 8000.. no joy at all as far as the distance traveled relative to the actual reading shown on the readout. So I decided to set up in DMM at 8000 and Acorn at 24,000 and guess what? The motors turned and got within a mm of movement relative to the readout. Long story short I played around and set up the figure to 21755 in Acorn and used a dial indicator to set up to exact zero on my Z axis. The motor pulley has a 16 tooth pulley and the spindle shaft has a 48 tooth pulley so running at 3:1 reduction. All ballscrews have a 5mm pitch. No idea how this works but I am happy that it seems to be. I will then calibrate the X and Y axis in the same way as the Z axis and hopefully within a week or two will be cutting some chips and making a post of my "success" story in the hopes it will help someone out on this forum where everyone is so helpful. Thanks to each and every one of you who has taken the time to assist me in my project.
martyscncgarage

Sounds like you set things up wrong.
Without seeing your DMMDRV screens I don't know what values you put in.
I set Gear Num and Line Num to 2000
Then I set Acorn Steps per motor rev to 8000
You don't say if you are direct driving your leadscrews or there is pulley reduction.

See Coarse and Fine DRO adjustment, attached.
You have to have a dial test indicator and a standard with known dimensions to be accurate.

Marty
Attachments
Centroid Coarse DRO Adjustment.pdf
(162.82 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Centroid Fine DRO Adjustment.pdf
(459.51 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Mesa, AZ
superpot

Post by superpot »

Thanks Marty. I initially set the figures like you say but things were not moving the correct amount and I have the same 3:1 reduction by way of belt on all three axis. I used a DTI to set up the Z and it looks to be spot on. I'll update when I can get around to doing the other 2 axis and then my 4th axis when I have made it. Oh and I have wired all up to the acorn board not via the DB25 breakout board and all appears to be fine now.
martyscncgarage

Let's say you have GEAR and LINE number set to 2000 in DMMDRV
In the Wizard you set 8000 for steps per motor rev (SET AND DO NOT CHANGE)
Then lets ASSUME (bcause you did not provide the information) you have a 5 threads per inch lead screw
You say you have 3:1 reduction
You should have 15 (3x5) set in the Overall Turns Ratio box in the Wizard.
THEN you do the FINE DRO tuning WITH a standard of KNOWN dimention. Gage block for instance. If you can't afford a long gage block then buy a set of 1-2-3 blocks. They are NOT perfect but very close and affordable. Otherwise a LONG travel Dial Indicator set parallel to the axis is also an option.

Marty
Mesa, AZ