CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Hercus Turret Macro

Post by Upnorth »

Hi Marty:

The turret has a home switch output and a counter output. To find home the turret rotates forward until the home switch sends a pulse. Then it stops and reverses for a second to lock it in place. Once it is homed when you call a tool position it rotates forward. Each time it passes a tool slot the turret switch sends a pulse that is counted by a control. When it reaches the desired tool it stops. Reverses to lock. Power to the motor goes off. Then it verifies the turret is locked.

Attached is an electrical schematic of the turret. Mine is the modified turret version.
Attachments
Turret Mod.pdf
(39.67 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Upnorth wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:42 pm Hi Marty:

The turret has a home switch output and a counter output. To find home the turret rotates forward until the home switch sends a pulse. Then it stops and reverses for a second to lock it in place. Once it is homed when you call a tool position it rotates forward. Each time it passes a tool slot the turret switch sends a pulse that is counted by a control. When it reaches the desired tool it stops. Reverses to lock. Power to the motor goes off. Then it verifies the turret is locked.

Attached is an electrical schematic of the turret. Mine is the modified turret version.
There are two drawings. One with a "Sub Board" and one with out.

Have you rotated the turret and watched the micro switches all operate and know which one which?
Looks like there is one switch for home
One switch for turret clamp
One switch for index. This one closes? when each tool station passes?

Please explain what "Clamps" the turret?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Upnorth
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Upnorth »

Hi Marty:

My turret is the modified one. The one in the second drawing. One switch for home. Correct the one marked index activates when the turret passes that tool position.

Reversing the turret activates a (clamp) mechanical lock. No brake or solenoid. When the turret spins forward the mechanical lock is released.

The sub board can be ignored. The turret lock indication is a weird looking device that shorts to ground when the turret is locked. I will use one of the acorn inputs to replace the sub board.
Last edited by Upnorth on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage

Founds some information on the Turret and how it works here:
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-con ... ed?start=0
Mesa, AZ
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

That link has more information than the ones I have seen in the past. I'm pretty sure I understand how the turret works. My original question from today remains though. Can I edit the counter based macro from centroid or do I have to start from scratch?
martyscncgarage

Upnorth wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:01 pm That link has more information than the ones I have seen in the past. I'm pretty sure I understand how the turret works. My original question from today remains though. Can I edit the counter based macro from centroid or do I have to start from scratch?
Its not the Macro so much as it is the PLC.

Here are the steps the way I see it.
Control is homed.
Turret energizes motor in forward, seeks the Home Position switch, hits it and reverses. When the turret clamp switch closes? (or opens?) power is removed from the motor
(how are you going to reverse the motor? relay?)
Machine is homed, turret is at tool position 1

When tool change is called, say tool 3:
Turret motor rolls forward, counts 2 pulses (open or closed?)
Turret motor reverses, When the turret clamp switch closes? (or opens?) power is removed from the motor

Need to know the states of the switches. Let's solidify the operation.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

You are correct about how it operates mostly. When the turret rotates past the desired position the output that moves the turret forward will turn off. A second output will reverse the the turret for a fixed amount of time (to be determined by experimentation) Then turn off. Then the control will look for the turret lock switch. If it's activated the program will resume cutting. If the switch is not activated activity stops and a turret not locked message appears.

I am planning to use two separate relays for forward and reverse. I'll figure out the state of the switches later in the programming.
martyscncgarage

Upnorth wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm You are correct about how it operates mostly. When the turret rotates past the desired position the output that moves the turret forward will turn off. A second output will reverse the the turret for a fixed amount of time (to be determined by experimentation) Then turn off. Then the control will look for the turret lock switch. If it's activated the program will resume cutting. If the switch is not activated activity stops and a turret not locked message appears.

I am planning to use two separate relays for forward and reverse. I'll figure out the state of the switches later in the programming.
If you want this looked at, need to know the state of the switches.
You should be able to determine this by using a bench power supply, to apply the appropriate voltage to the turret motor while monitoring the switches with a meter on continuity setting.

If you look at the Acorn_Counter_Based_Home_Sensor_Turret_Instructions, I think it will probably do most all of what you are wanting to accomplish
You have two inputs
ToolTurretSyncBit = Tool 1 Position (Home)
ToolTurretCounter = Counting tools

You have two Outputs
RotateToolTurret = Rotate the turret forward and backward via a relay. You don't need the DC-DC converter Which is there to drop the voltage and hold the turret against the Pawl.

You can use the optional ToolTurretEnable to remove power from the motor. When its off the relay opens removing power from the RotateToolTurret relay.

You can ask Centroid to modify this particular PLC to add an input for your Turret Clamp Microswitch input.
You can also ask them to have a forward output and a reverse output.

I can't answer for Centroid, but I think the cost would be minimal since most of the PLC is done.

I would get as much of it working/tested with the above option, figure out your micro switch states and then approach them. The more leg work you do, the less it will cost to modify the PLC.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Thanks Marty now you have pointed me in the right direction on a couple of things. Yes the two inputs are good but I need one more to check turret lock. The tool table enable to turn off the power to the motor is a good one. From the centroid schematic there is only one output. The turret is either powered forward at full voltage or powered backwards at half voltage. When the relay is powered off the polarity of the relay outputs reverses. Second thing is I should be looking in the PLC to see what needs to be modified not the files named macro.

Honestly if Centroid can modify the PLC for a reasonable cost that would be a good option. Since I'm learning macros 100% from scratch and I really was looking at it as a learning experience I thought it would be good to learn. From a practical outlook it would be stupid for me to waste a bunch of time on something that a skilled person can do in an hour.
martyscncgarage

Upnorth wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:03 pm Thanks Marty now you have pointed me in the right direction on a couple of things. Yes the two inputs are good but I need one more to check turret lock. The tool table enable to turn off the power to the motor is a good one. From the centroid schematic there is only one output. The turret is either powered forward at full voltage or powered backwards at half voltage. When the relay is powered off the polarity of the relay outputs reverses. Second thing is I should be looking in the PLC to see what needs to be modified not the files named macro.

Honestly if Centroid can modify the PLC for a reasonable cost that would be a good option. Since I'm learning macros 100% from scratch and I really was looking at it as a learning experience I thought it would be good to learn. From a practical outlook it would be stupid for me to waste a bunch of time on something that a skilled person can do in an hour.
The Turret Enable Output can be assigned.
As I said before. You need to do some work, validate switch states, identify the pairs etc.
I would use the DPDT relay for forward and reverse. I would use the enable output to turn on and off motor power via another relay.

It would probably be trivial to add a Turret Clamp Microswitch input.
You can certainly try and do it all yourself. I don't I would rather have someone very familiar with the PLC who would be more efficient at it.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf

There are some videos on the subject too on YouTube. Search Centroid PLC

I would just hire Centroid to make the mods for you.
Marty
Mesa, AZ