Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Hercus Turret Macro

Post by Upnorth »

Getting back to this after a long delay. I have a couple of questions.

I want to make a safety circuit that will turn off the power to the relay if the tool change cycle fails to complete. The final stage of this is when a pin grounds out that happens when a turret locks.

These are theoretical questions I have not wired or tested anything yet.

1) if I use the optional turret enable what causes it to turn off at the end of the cycle? Is it based on an input switch or a timer? A switch with a timer would be ideal in case it fails to complete the lock cycle.

2) Can I make the ToollsUnclamped input option from the wizard read at the end of the cycle and then turn off relay power to the turret if the cycle fails to complete?

I'm currently thinking about just getting it working without the saftey circuit for turret lock and paying centroid to modify the PLC to include a safety at the end. Probably should have done this months ago. Project has sat for a while due to a DC drive failure.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Upnorth wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:14 am Getting back to this after a long delay. I have a couple of questions.

I want to make a safety circuit that will turn off the power to the relay if the tool change cycle fails to complete. The final stage of this is when a pin grounds out that happens when a turret locks.

These are theoretical questions I have not wired or tested anything yet.

1) if I use the optional turret enable what causes it to turn off at the end of the cycle? Is it based on an input switch or a timer? A switch with a timer would be ideal in case it fails to complete the lock cycle.

2) Can I make the ToollsUnclamped input option from the wizard read at the end of the cycle and then turn off relay power to the turret if the cycle fails to complete?

I'm currently thinking about just getting it working without the saftey circuit for turret lock and paying centroid to modify the PLC to include a safety at the end. Probably should have done this months ago. Project has sat for a while due to a DC drive failure.
You may remember what you are working on but we don't without going through pages of posts to reacquaint.
Summarize where you are at.
Why do you feel you need a safety circuit?
Try using the turret enable for the turret lock, (which is a solenoid?)

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Upnorth
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Upnorth »

Good point Marty it's fresh in my in but not yours.

I'll try and explain the problem clearer. In the original setup at the end of a tool change an input is checked to see if the turret is locked or not. If it's not the turret faults out and power is removed. A schematic was provided on the previous page of this thread that is known working with this turret. He used the lock switch to remove power from the relay. This would work fine as long as the turret completes it's cycle. This turret uses 24 volts for both forward and reverse. When the turret hits the end of it's travel while reversing to lock it still has 24 volts applied until the lock switch activates. If the switch fails to activate it would keep the 24 vdc applied and probably burn out the motor.

What I want is a way to check the lock switch at the end of the tool change. I want power removed from the turret when the tool locks and if the turret fails to complete the tool change. I think there may already be a timer but I could use a written description of how it works. I also want the spindle and axis drives disabled whenever the tool is being changed or if the tool fails to lock. I plan on wiring it up in the next couple of days to see how it works. It would be good to know how it works before I do that.

Turret is 100% mechanical lock no solenoid.
martyscncgarage

Upnorth wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:02 am Good point Marty it's fresh in my in but not yours.

I'll try and explain the problem clearer. In the original setup at the end of a tool change an input is checked to see if the turret is locked or not. If it's not the turret faults out and power is removed. A schematic was provided on the previous page of this thread that is known working with this turret. He used the lock switch to remove power from the relay. This would work fine as long as the turret completes it's cycle. This turret uses 24 volts for both forward and reverse. When the turret hits the end of it's travel while reversing to lock it still has 24 volts applied until the lock switch activates. If the switch fails to activate it would keep the 24 vdc applied and probably burn out the motor.

What I want is a way to check the lock switch at the end of the tool change. I want power removed from the turret when the tool locks and if the turret fails to complete the tool change. I think there may already be a timer but I could use a written description of how it works. I also want the spindle and axis drives disabled whenever the tool is being changed or if the tool fails to lock. I plan on wiring it up in the next couple of days to see how it works. It would be good to know how it works before I do that.

I think you will need to hire Centroid to help you a bit on the turret logic and add the check for the lock switch and fault the control if it fails. Use an Estop contactor.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:57 am
Upnorth wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:02 am Good point Marty it's fresh in my in but not yours.

I think you will need to hire Centroid to help you a bit on the turret logic and add the check for the lock switch and fault the control if it fails. Use an Estop contactor.
Marty
I agree with you. I will get it working as is and then decide what needs to be done to make the operation complete. I'll get centroid to finish the macro.
martyscncgarage

Upnorth wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:00 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:57 am

Marty
I agree with you. I will get it working as is and then decide what needs to be done to make the operation complete. I'll get centroid to finish the macro.
Perfect. Having the turret running minus what you need and then supplying them with the report will make it easier and likely much less expensive.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
centroidsupport
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by centroidsupport »

Hi Upnorth,

Please let us know when you're ready. You can post here, call Centroid support x112 or email us directly to support@centroidcnc.com. Whichever you choose, please be sure to include the most recent report.

I'd suggest the email so that you can include a number that we can call you at.

PS Please include your time zone
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

I have now set up some switches to simulate the inputs to the lathe tool turret. I'm doing this to see how the inputs and outputs relate to each other. I can see the output action from the relays. This will let me design the final combination of inputs and outputs and wire it all up to see if any modifications will be required.

Here is the question. Do I need the Pro License to test the lathe tool turret logic? I do get an error "Upgrade to Pro for ATC M107". From looking in the lathe manual it seems I do. If I need the license I'll request it from Centroid today so I can proceed.
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Thanks for the speedy response. I'll send you a report in a few minutes.
martyscncgarage

Upnorth wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:57 am I have now set up some switches to simulate the inputs to the lathe tool turret. I'm doing this to see how the inputs and outputs relate to each other. I can see the output action from the relays. This will let me design the final combination of inputs and outputs and wire it all up to see if any modifications will be required.

Here is the question. Do I need the Pro License to test the lathe tool turret logic? I do get an error "Upgrade to Pro for ATC M107". From looking in the lathe manual it seems I do. If I need the license I'll request it from Centroid today so I can proceed.
Yes you need the pro LATHE license. Purchase it here: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... oller.html
Once you get a receipt emailed to you, forward IT and a FRESH report to diysales@centroidcnc.com

Marty
Mesa, AZ