CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Hercus Turret Macro

Post by Upnorth »

Progress:

I have an updated license now and did some testing. The testing was done by simulating the inputs with switches and observing the operation of the output relays. Using the RotateToolTurret output I can make the logic work. When activated the motor turns forward, when disabled the motor reverses and locks against a pawl. The problem with this is the voltage stays on and will burn out the motor. I decided against a previous suggestion because it would not turn off the power if the lock switch failed. Using the input switches I determined that the logic is selecting the correct tool.

I plan on contacting Centroid next week to get the macro modified (Next week because I hope they are home celebrating New Year's right now). The modification will be a relay that turns on at the start of the turret change macro at the same time as the RotateToolTurret. This will apply power to the turret. It will also have an input added that detects the turret in the locked position. The new output will turn off if it detects the tool turret is locked. If the lock fails the output will turn off after an to be determined time after the RotateToolTurret turns off. This will prevent the motor from overheating if the turret tool change fails to complete and will also stop the next G code from proceeding and display a "Turret not locked" message

I think this should work as described.

I was unable to make the ToolTurretEnable and ToolTurretReverse outputs do what I wanted.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Are your turret gray logic outputs connected to Acorn and functional? (Wired per the gray logic schematic to the appropriate inputs)
Is the turret bi-directional? If it is, can you force the outputs to rotate it in both directions?
You'll want to be as far as you can, and get it as functional as you can before you ring up Centroid.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Upnorth
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Upnorth »

The gray logic inputs are hooked up. I simulated input's to those using external switches. This is a sufficient test because the turret uses internal switches. When power is applied to the turret relay it rotates forward. When power is removed from the relay the polarity to the turret is reversed.
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Update:

I decided to get Centroid to modify the PLC to make the turret work. I currently can make it initialize by simulating power on/off with a switch.
It does stop at at the correct position. However when trying to select a slot it just spins until it times out. It counts but never stops at the correct position.

I did email Centroid support about a week ago but have not heard back yet. I'll post another update when I get it working.
martyscncgarage

Upnorth wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:01 pm Update:

I decided to get Centroid to modify the PLC to make the turret work. I currently can make it initialize by simulating power on/off with a switch.
It does stop at at the correct position. However when trying to select a slot it just spins until it times out. It counts but never stops at the correct position.

I did email Centroid support about a week ago but have not heard back yet. I'll post another update when I get it working.
Call Centroid....don't expect to wait to hear back from them via email....

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Ok Marty I was wondering if a call was needed. They did mention to me earlier about either calling or emailing. I'll give them a call.
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Update: I hired the Centroid tech support to edit the PLC. It works as it should now.

The turret seeks the tool properly. If the turret fails to lock at the end of the tool change it turns off all power to prevent a motor burnout.

It was well worth getting them to edit the PLC.
martyscncgarage

Upnorth wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:13 pm Update: I hired the Centroid tech support to edit the PLC. It works as it should now.

The turret seeks the tool properly. If the turret fails to lock at the end of the tool change it turns off all power to prevent a motor burnout.

It was well worth getting them to edit the PLC.
Great news!
Make sure you post pictures, summary and maybe a video clip of your build in the Success Stories Forum.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

I'll do that after it looks presentable. At the moment it still has random wires everywhere for testing and none of the covers are on.