Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: haven't installed CNC12 yet
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Shopbot PRS 48x96 Acorn / Clearpath Conversion

Post by tkbot47 »

Richards wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:36 pm Your numbers look good. I just ran a spreadsheetfusing 1.25" diameter pinions and a 1:5 gearbox. I was more interested in continuous torque. The 3421S would have about 1,445 oz-in continuous torque with the 1:5 gearbox. That's a little more than the Shopbot advertised PRS Alpha torque. I had a PRT-Alpha upgraded to the PRS-Alpha motors on X and Y axes. The 3411S has about 750 oz-in continuous torque with a 1:5 gearbox. Comparing a servo's continuous torque to a stepper's holding torque is apples to oranges, but either motor looks good to me.
Mike,
I did the same sort of spreadsheet when I did my Buddy build. With the 5:1 gearbox and 1.2" diam pinion, I looked at continuous torque vs speed, rpm at that torque, rpm at 70% torque and 25% rpm safety factor (Teknic recommended not running at full rpm or torque), max torque allowed by the gearbox with a safety factor, a force at the bit. I compared all this to price, desired feed and speed, jog speed, etc. and picked my motors. I switched the axes on my Buddy so parallel to the gantry was x and the moving table was y. I also did not have the gravity secured gantry (all my moving axes are captured), and took into account that my aluminum table with mdf vacuum table weighs in at at least 160 lbs. After much fiddling with my spreadsheet, and reviewing with the Teknic people, I arrived at a motor solution. I'm quite pleased with the results, although the Buddy frame will not tolerate too much acceleration without shaking a bit, despite additional bracing. Cutting and jogging is fast and accurate.
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No

Post by Gary Campbell »

Since there is some good info coming out of this thread I want to add some pertinent information about comparisons between steppers and servos. Mike uses the SB alpha (Oriental AS/AR series) 7.2:1 gearmotor as a baseline. There are some erroneous assumptions made about these motors. First, the available torque. The mfgrs spec sheet shows ~1280 ozin in their spec sheet. Holding torque. Assume a minimum 30% decrease when moving. (very slowly) Torque chart is given at FULL steps (sometimes 1/2) in any case neither are real world numbers as 1/10th microstepping is employed in the drives.

Tenth microstepping is a useful tool to reduce noise and smooth out a motor, especially for environments where noise would be an issue, like medical equipment, but it may be the worst choice in CNC routers where variable and unpredictable loads are present. I have seen numerous guys here order servos based on what torque they THOUGHT their steppers produced. See here: https://www.faulhaber.com/en/support/te ... ostepping/

For the most part you can assume that a given stepper with 1/8 or 1/10 microstepping is producing 30% or less of its holding torque while cutting and 20% or less while at rapid speeds. Take that SB oriental alpha motor. !280 ozin thru a 30T pinion (1.5" dia, .75" radius) will yield holding torque of 1280/.75 or a bit over 1700 ozin at the rack. Adjusted for 1/10th Ms (25% avg) around 425 ozin at the rack.

The 3411Sservo has a CONTINUOUS rating of 150 ozin, 750 thru a 5:1 gearbox and using the 24T (1.2" dia, .6" rad) yields 1250 ozin at the rack. By my calculations that's 3 times the torque. And this is without taking into account that the 3411S has over 4 times that available as peak torque for up to about 3 seconds. (638 *5 /.6 = 5316 ozin) well over 10 times the torque of the OEM motor. That's why I do not recommend larger motors for SB PRS frames. I will not even put anything but a NEMA23 on a PRT frame.

Back in the day the SB alpha motor was touted as one of the most powerful.......yada yada. reality is in this day and age it is by far the weakest NEMA34 motor sold in the US. The closed loop NEMA23 motors in my "alpha replacement" closed loop system shown here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2480 have no problems outperforming the larger appearing, more elegant looking 7.2:1 alpha gearmotors, and they have been doing it every day in commercial applications for close to a couple years.

Keep in mind that these machines are bolted together with questionable tolerances. The V rollers can "climb" the rail with excessive side torque and the top heavy gantry design places undue stress on the pinion shaft under high force and accel/decel. Add in the fact that the motors and rails are not mounted on machined surfaces and may not "run true" is it surprising how they wear pinions on a far too frequent basis? There is no benefit gained from overpowering a frame. None from underpowering one either, but paying for power that you cant use is not a plus. But you can play: "My servo is bigger than your servo!"

Power supplies: Be aware that all the calcs are correct, except that no one talkes into account the real denominator for calculations. How much of the available power you are going to use. And are you aware that the IPC5 will put out close to 900W for a few seconds, if you need it? And remember, the motor draws ~200w when outputting its rated continuous torque. IF you use the Clearview software you will see that on a light frame router they seldom draw over 100 on a light frame router and that is during rapid (aggressive) acceleration. Around 50 most of the time.

So yes, along with running smaller motors than most DIY guys, I use many less watts of power supply too! My current machine is set up for high torque motors on 16:1 gears plus a monster on 25:1 rotary and I use 2 IPC3 power supplies. Guess what they put out when cooled properly?? :)
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
paulwall
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by paulwall »

I messaged a couple folks who have gone with clearpaths on their gravity or spring held larger router CNCs. Heard back from one guy who said he had to downtune his 3421S on Y1/Y2 to 20% torque or it would just skip gear at the pinion or in the belt reducer he had at every movement.

So I ended up going 3411S for my Y1, Y2, and my X, and 3421S for the Z, plus a IC-5 PS and a 4-Hub board. I did have a question about wiring my VFD.

My VFD housing itself has ground continuity, and a standard ground lead wire off of it. Do I need to isolate the housing from the grounded back plate to prevent ground looping in that system?
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

As per most hardware installation manuals, mount the device to grounded metal backplane
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
paulwall

Post by paulwall »

Gary Campbell wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:09 pm As per most hardware installation manuals, mount the device to grounded metal backplane
Thanks Gary!

Here is today's novice question: I see a number of builds that run separate contactors for the VFD and servo PS.

What is the advantage to this? In a hardware driven e-stop button configuration, would it not be more efficient to run a single contactor that kills power to the VFD and servo PS at the same time?

The only way I can workout in my head is to have separate contactors if you are controlling power cuts to the servo PS via the controller alone for some reason. And if that's the case, what advantages does this have?
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

I use separate contactors (or relays) for each device.

Reasons
1) Load current differences between each device
2) Separate breakers
3) They are switched on/off at different times for different reasons
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
paulwall

Post by paulwall »

Things are happening - For how much moola the Clearpaths ran I sure was let down with how little the box was that arrived.

The enclosure box more than made up for it though! She's a behemoth of an ebay find - Stainless 3' x 2' x 8" with window.

Shortly to come is my first pass wiring schematic for what I assume will be scorching review.

tkbot47

Post by tkbot47 »

Did you get the programming/tuning cable for the Clearpaths? You're going to need it.
RichMaple
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0479B7ABE506-0318203048

Post by RichMaple »

tkbot47 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:36 am Did you get the programming/tuning cable for the Clearpaths? You're going to need it.
It's just a USB micro (to USB-A) cable so good news is that you probably have 20 of them in a drawer :lol:
tkbot47

Post by tkbot47 »

RichMaple wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:12 pm
tkbot47 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:36 am Did you get the programming/tuning cable for the Clearpaths? You're going to need it.
It's just a USB micro (to USB-A) cable so good news is that you probably have 20 of them in a drawer :lol:
yes, but the bad news is the ones in the drawer are all probably too short. You need a good long one to go from your computer to the motor if you want to test the response range of one of the gantry motors going back and forth a total of 8 ft. ;)