Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

rotary PP

Post by bmilam »

I am trying to find a rotary PP for vectric vcarve. I found a Y to A that works but I need a X to B. The A one I found does make my rotary turn but the B won't. I was wondering if anyone here has one for their machine. After 2 years I am finally trying to get the 4th axis hooked up and give it a try. I seem to have everything working now just need the PP to try it out.
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Re: rotary PP

Post by Gary Campbell »

Try this one. As always, test a new postP aircut to verify proper operation. Remove the ".TXT" after downlaod

Centroid_X_to_B_Rotary_TC.pp.txt
(5.69 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
bmilam

Post by bmilam »

Thanks I will give it a try
bmilam

Post by bmilam »

I loaded it and just letting the machine cut air right now but it seems to be running properly but really slow. The view in CNC12 just shows a thin vertical line and the trail just barely moves up and down it. How do I change the view to show a cylinder and the trail follow around the cylinder or is that possible? Still wanting to test it before I get brave enough to put a bit in the spindle and wood in the rotary axis.

Are there any settings in the parameters that I should be looking at changing to add the rotary axis on the machine?
Gary Campbell
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Post by Gary Campbell »

Bobby...
Not sure that anything will change on the graphing screen...verify proper cutting appearance in CAD/CAM.

I think Parameter 3 should be set to 8, but verify this as its been a couple years since I did one.

What are your Max, Fast, Slow speeds set at for the rotary axis? Know that on a 2" diameter blank surface equivalent to 120 ipm would be ~4600 deg/min

Here is an inverse time mode post that once your axis speeds are proper may help. Same careful use disclaimer. AIRCUT!
Centroid_X_to_B_Rotary_TC_G93.pp.txt
(5.92 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Marty has posted a link to Rotary Setup Info here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4423&start=10
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
bmilam

Post by bmilam »

Ok I see in the notes on the PP, Rotary Feedrate is Slaved to XY if Parm #2 is set to 8". As far as my settings, I wasn't sure what to set them at as I read that they are actually set in degrees per minute not IPM. I just put in some numbers right now to be honest until I learn more. Max is 6000, gast 3000 and slow 360. I'm still trying to learn and the rotary is a totally new thing for me that is why I have just now tried to set it up after if setting on the floor for almost 2 years. The graphing screen is ok if that is the view that it should be on. I just figured that there was a setting somewhere that I did not know about to change it.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and help.
Last edited by bmilam on Mon May 25, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmilam

Post by bmilam »

bmilam wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:42 pm Ok I see in the notes on the PP, Rotary Feedrate is Slaved to XY if Parm #2 is set to 8". As far as my settings, I wasn't sure what to set them at as I read that they are actually set in degrees per minute not IPM. I just put in some numbers right now to be honest until I learn more. Max is 6000, fast is 3000 and slow is 360. I'm still trying to learn and the rotary is a totally new thing for me that is why I have just now tried to set it up after if setting on the floor for almost 2 years. The graphing screen is ok if that is the view that it should be on. I just figured that there was a setting somewhere that I did not know about to change it.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and help.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

For a rotary axis, a Max Rate of 400 degrees/minute is very slow.

Your achievable Max Rate of course depends on your servo motor and your reduction ratio, but a typical max rate on a rotary table with 90:1 reduction might be 6000 degrees/minute. That would be 1500 RPM at the servo motor.

I usually set Slow Jog at 360 (1 RPM) and Fast Jog at 3600 (10 RPM).
bmilam

Post by bmilam »

I had the wrong numbers listed and updated with the new numbers in my post. I have it set at the moment at 3000/ 360. I have done some research on the stepper it is a Chinese motor by ACT and it is 1.8 degree 2 amp 850ozin into a worm gear reducer size 50, ration 20.

That is giving me 8.5 rotations a minute. Maybe it just appeared slow to me
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

Gary Campbell wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:51 am ... Know that on a 2" diameter blank surface equivalent to 120 ipm would be ~4600 deg/min
Gary are you sure about that? With my math a diameter of 2" has a circumference of 2" x pi = 6.28"
To get to 120ipm, the axis needs to turn 120/6.28 = 19 times. 19 x 360 degrees = 6'840 deg/min

Is there something wrong with my math?

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com