Portable 5c CNC Collet Lathe now (almost) at prototype 3 -- now with tool setter stylus

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

briuz
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Portable 5c CNC Collet Lathe now (almost) at prototype 3 -- now with tool setter stylus

Post by briuz »

Today, Prototype 3 homed itself for the first time. Everything has been re-added to the machine except the electric collet closer assembly, spindle, and encoder. I am still waiting for the encoder to be shipped as the company makes them to order. Once I get the encoder, it will take but a little bit of time to make the mounting parts and install it on the lathe. Shown in the pictures is the new frame, mostly assembled machine, electronics, new spindle motor location, and the work side of the headstock plate with the mounting holes for optional accessories. I think I'll work on the tool setter while waiting for the encoder parts to arrive.
front view.JPG
proto 3 frame 1.JPG
electronics.JPG
spindle nose.JPG
spindle motor.JPG
Last edited by briuz on Sun May 17, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Portable 5c CNC Collet Lathe now (almost) at prototype 3

Post by martyscncgarage »

Nice! Can't wait to see it make chips!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
briuz

Re: Portable 5c CNC Collet Lathe now (almost) at prototype 3 -- now with tool setter stylus

Post by briuz »

For my 3rd lathe prototype I decided to create a tool setter stylus as setting up to 16 tools on a turret can be rather time consuming otherwise. One consideration was that I don't want to have to change out the collet in order to setup a tool I'd rather just drop a stylus in place and go. I also got some inspiration by looking at how Haas does this on their lathes. Friday evening I finished the first stylus prototype using materials I had laying around. I also had to write some macro scripting to zero the master tool relative to the stylus. (Presently, Aux 11 is set to do this.) As all tools are offset relative to the master tool, once the tools are set one only has to reset the master tool position relative to the work piece then all of the other tools will be ready to go. Here is a video of the stylus, the master tool being set, and the cut-off tool offset being set.

rangerboy347
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38d2693c4f62-0725181074

Re: Portable 5c CNC Collet Lathe now (almost) at prototype 3 -- now with tool setter stylus

Post by rangerboy347 »

what did you have to do to set the master tool offset? did you touch off the probe then make a cut enter that for x? i have to tool setter probe also but its not at x zero, i should make it that way would be way easier tho. any tool i have beyond negative wont probe correctly.
thanks joe
briuz

Post by briuz »

In the video I set up the master tool first. The stylus is made from 0.500" turned, ground, and polished stock. Since the offset of all of the tools are offset from the master tool, I wrote a macro to setup the master tool by touching off the stylus. The master tool setup macro basically locates the master tool where x=0 for the stylus center and z=0 for the end of the stylus. As long as the stylus vertical center is centered on the spindle (y axis) it's all relative. Once the master tool has located the stylus, probing the other tools is done like normal.

When you are ready to turn something, you would have to remove the stylus and locate the master tool on the stock.

In the future, it would be possible to save the master tool position prior to setting up the master tool relative to the stylus. Then it would be a simple matter to restore the offset once all the tools are set. (I'll have to try that!)

rangerboy347 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:15 pm what did you have to do to set the master tool offset? did you touch off the probe then make a cut enter that for x? i have to tool setter probe also but its not at x zero, i should make it that way would be way easier tho. any tool i have beyond negative wont probe correctly.
thanks joe