I Need a Post Processor for Solidworks/Camworks

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Deon
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: AllinOne cncm system ID: 0625181998 / XE3HFDFJBI
Acorn/Leadshine 4axis bench mill: 3403DE6C0783-01919192476
Acorn/Gecko G540 Sherline Lathe: 0479B7B00885-1107192659
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

I Need a Post Processor for Solidworks/Camworks

Post by Deon »

Hello everyone, I have searched everywhere to find a Post Processor that don't need to be modified to work with Solidworks. The closest I've gotten is a free Haas Post processor from a dealer website. I'm a student and the school uses Solidworks so I get to use the student version which has all the bells and whistles of the premium edition for a year at $75.00. I need it for some classes at times so I can work on assignments from home. I could actually try the CAM if I had a Post Processor that worked with Centroid controls. I have a CNC bench mill and a CNC Sherline lathe with Acorn to play with. I can get a Mastercam Post Processor from Centroid, but Mastercam don't give a nice deal for students like Solidworks or Autodesk.

So, does any one have a Solidworks/Camworks Post Processor to share. Or, would anyone like to do a google meet or Zoom to assist me in showing me how to modify a Post Processor?

Thank You
Last edited by Deon on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deon Daugherty
GOD, Country, Family
ZZBOB
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20915A (1124081904)
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Post Processor for Solidworks/Camworks

Post by ZZBOB »

HI DEON....
DO a search on KLMOSES he had the same problem.....
Fanuc_OM...POST...

http://www.cncsnw.com/PostProcessorsMill.htm
ZZBOB....
Deon
CNC Control System Serial Number: AllinOne cncm system ID: 0625181998 / XE3HFDFJBI

Post by Deon »

ZZBob

Yep I've seen and printed the CNCsnw website. But, Where do I find the Fanuc_OM processor or any processor to download and install.

Deon
Deon Daugherty
GOD, Country, Family
ZZBOB
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20915A (1124081904)
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by ZZBOB »

HI THERE..
Lathe- post-pic.-nc.text...
You can down load for free FUSION360 with cam////
And load SW/files into Fusion and use there CAM/MILL/LATHE AND THERE POST.....
ZZBOB....
Attachments
SWL-2.nc
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
SWL_2B.JPG
SWL_2A.JPG
Deon

Re: I Need a Post Processor for Solidworks/Camworks

Post by Deon »

I know many options like that are possible. But, I would like to be able stay inside the same Cad program and would be able to edit the drawing while in the CAM if needed, without doing more steps then would be necessary if I had a Post Processor that works with Solidworks/Camworks and Centroid.
Deon Daugherty
GOD, Country, Family
JoeG
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1119181353

Post by JoeG »

I use the FANUC 11M post processor, it comes nativity with SolidWorks CAM (A least with SolidWorks 2019). The post processor can't be edited but for the most part it works fine with my Centroid Acorn mill.
Capture.PNG
As far as I know the FUSION 360 FOR PERSONAL USE license does not include translators for externally created solid models.

Joe
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

JoeG wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:48 pm
As far as I know the FUSION 360 FOR PERSONAL USE license does not include translators for externally created solid models.
That's not my understanding or experience. I've imported my previous Solidworks assemblies and parts into Fusion directly. It will accept most common 3D CAD formats without having to export them as STP or IGS format. This includes Autocad formats plus Catia, NX, ProE, Solidworks, Solid Edge, Parasolid, Rhino and Sketchup.

Historically, importing assemblies from other applications results in loss of mates / joints / constraints etc, so that you lose the connections between parts. However, I think I heard that Fusion can now do something useful on that front through one of the paid "extensions" although I have no experience of it. Perhaps somebody could confirm that. As a lesser mortal, I simply go though the imported assembly and apply the relevant joints using the "as built joint" feature.
JoeG
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1119181353

Post by JoeG »

From the Fusion 360 website.....

Joe
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

Hmm, that's a bit of a bummer. As you point out, they have removed the import and export option. I must have missed that, although I have almost no need to go back into my old SW work these days. It's a good thing I imported my main Solidworks work into Fusion before they changed the policy. Concerns over a likely inability to access any continuing SW work was one key reason for getting out of it before my license expired, as the purchase and support for SW is stratospheric and the student version my kids got turned out to be almost too buggy to use.

The "AnyCAD" feature is what I was referring to and AFAIK it retains some of the assembly relations ("referencing"). That's an interesting function and represents a step forward, although I assume other vendors offer similar functionality in this competitive market.

I've just checked that I can import Solidworks files into Onshape and export them as IGES and STEP formet. So if I am ever in desperation, that's one way to get SW (and most other formats) files into and out of Fusion. Rather than guess, I've just done a trial import / export and am pleased to find it works. The basic version of Onshape allows this, as long as you don't mind your work becoming (fleetingly) publicly visible while it is on their server.

The Fusion team are making more of their new features available as "extensions". Which is another way of saying you have to pay to use them. The subscription takes the form of credits that expire each month and the cost is ruinous to hobbiests. Having said that, what we (currently!) have available is quite remarkable and has been a game changer. It would be churlish to com plain about what we have in front of us!