Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: DMM Dyn4 Drive Faults, Noise/Feedback Issues

Post by martyscncgarage »

Have you swapped the motor and encoder cables?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
H&W CNC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3403DE6EC817-0919192465
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by H&W CNC »

Yes when i swapped the first motor, i moved the X motor to the Z. So i tried the X drive, cables and motor on the Z and it failed. So i unhooked the X axis drive and cables and put the Y axis drive and cables on the same motor and same results. So then i hooked up the Y motor and tried each axis drive and cables. So i tried all combinations between Axis drives, cables and motors.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Something just doesn't seem right....
Mesa, AZ
H&W CNC

Post by H&W CNC »

I completely agree, like i said i am gonna take the Head off and pull the Z ball screw out and look at everything i ordered new bearings (the ones in are brand new already) see if there is anything i can find. Its a 32mm ballscrew so its plenty big, i ordered the kit from Arizona99 YouTube gentleman that does lots of these kits so i feel like everything is sized correct. I went through the wiring everything is going to its correct place, nothing was loose i have 246v all the way to the drive with motors on and off. I have tried every Drive, Cable and Motor combination. It obviously is looking like i have something wrong but what i don't know? The only thing that confuses me is when i hook the acorn up to the drive i get the Solid red fault but with it off i get Flashing Red faults? I will note that sometimes i do get a Flashing red when acorn is hooked up maybe 1/10 times, 99% of the time its solid?

I got sometime today before i leave for work for a week, so i will let ya know if i find anything. If not i will pick back up next week when i return, but if you have any suggestions while i am away please respond or PM me and i will try it when i return. Thanks Again i appreciate all the help thus far
Raceman17

Post by Raceman17 »

Is the machine new? Pull the z completely off the gib and see if you have any surface rust or anything on the gib area that could cause the servo to temporarily bind. That could cause a fault.
martyscncgarage

I would probably manually run the z up and down by hand. I am not so sure I would be buying new parts just yet. In fact, if I had the proper size stepper motor, I would cobble it in for a test...
Mesa, AZ
H&W CNC

Post by H&W CNC »

I would probably manually run the z up and down by hand. I am not so sure I would be buying new parts just yet. In fact, if I had the proper size stepper motor, I would cobble it in for a test...
I don't have another motor of any sort as this is my first CNC machine!!!! And man hasn't it been a fun one.... but i did try all 3 motors and yes they are the same size....

Well before i had to leave i was able to remove the head and run the Z axis up and down for about a hour and didn't have any faults with the head removed? I didn't notice anything binding or bearings dragging or anything to my knowledge. I didn't get it all the way back together before i had to leave. So when i get back next week i will bolt it all back up again. Is there a good way to align the Ball screw so it is exactly straight up and down were there is no binding? I moved it all the way to the top then tighten the ballscrew/motor mount, then went to the bottom and measured and nothing seemed off?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fkZJGZUTSWerq35i9

Is the machine new? Pull the z completely off the gib and see if you have any surface rust or anything on the gib area that could cause the servo to temporarily bind. That could cause a fault.
The machine is new, and i took everything apart today and didn't seem to notice anything that would be binding. In that regard i can see how binding would cause a fault while moving. Except my issue isn't when the head is moving its when it stops? But at this point anything is possible....
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

When it stops going up or when it stops going down? If it overcurrents when stopping going down I would think you need a braking resistor, or a counterbalance.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
martyscncgarage

tblough wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:34 am When it stops going up or when it stops going down? If it overcurrents when stopping going down I would think you need a braking resistor, or a counterbalance.
I was going to suggest rigging up a counterbalance as a test. If it works the a more permanent solution could be made. Nitrogen gas springs have been used if the column is hollow, then a tradition counter weight might be fabricated. Or a much larger servo motor. If the head is off, what does it weigh?
Mesa, AZ
H&W CNC

Post by H&W CNC »

I don't have scales and have emailed PM to see if they know, but i have read several forums and most say around 240-280?
But i am currently away so even i did have a way i couldn't do it now. If you have any advise or suggestions for the best type of counter weighting, i am away now so i could order it so hopefully it would be home by the time i arrive next week?