Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: haven't installed CNC12 yet
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn Ethernet Communications Error 63 - RESOLVED

Post by tkbot47 »

I am suddenly having a communications error between my computer and my Acorn boards. My setup is: Intel NUC i5 computer with short shielded ethernet cable going to a Gigaswitch, feeding my mill and lathe Acorn boards (ver 3) through Centroid provided shielded ethernet cable. I'm running CNC12 v4.20 for both, one at a time, on the common computer running Win 10 (latest update 1909). The setup was working perfectly the last time I ran both tools (about 45 days ago). When I try to start either tool, I get the starting screen of CNC12 saying "establishing communication", then "unable to establish communication". Error logs have, in this order, "CNC started", then Error initializing CPU - cannot continue" and "Exiting known error 63". I cannot provide a fresh repost because it doesn't get that far.
I have tested all the cables, and the Gigaswitch and ethernet ports are OK because I can connect fine to the internet from the gigaswitch. I use Bitdefender antivirus/firewall, but all CNC functions for both versions are all "allowed" by the firewall, and were before. Windows firewall is off. Heartbeat of both Acorns is good, and no faults are present. I've tried plugging the Acorn ethernet cable directly into the computer, bypassing the switch - no help. I've rebooted the Acorns and computer multiple times - no change. I have backups of files dating back to when it was working, but I can't see that anything changed.

I'm stumped. Everything was working perfectly before, and not anymore. The only things I can think of that changed are:

- Normal program and virus updates to Bitdefender
- Win10 from v.1903 to v.1909, but I can't find a setting that changed.

Can anyone suggest something else I can check, or what might have changed or gone wrong? Is there anything I can check in CNC12, or perhaps reinstall it, or move to 4.20.1 to try and fix this? Has anyone else seen anything like this? I'm very frustrated!

Also should mention that I have a 3rd Acorn (ver 4) that I'm using on my rebuilt Shopbot, Intel NUC i3, CNC12 v4.20, Win10 v1909 - no problems whatsoever. Using all the same settings in Bitdefender and Win10, as far as I can determine......again, no problems.

Thanks
Last edited by tkbot47 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
frijoli
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes

Re: Acorn Ethernet Communications Error 63

Post by frijoli »

I would do a restore, and retest. Also, post a report.
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
tkbot47

Post by tkbot47 »

frijoli wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:27 pm I would do a restore, and retest. Also, post a report.
I would do a restore as a last result, since the computer is working perfectly except for this. Also, the last report was from 45 days ago when things were working OK, and I can't get a new one because CNC12 never completes booting up. Additionally, the exact same thing is happening with both installations - my lathe and my mill, on the same computer, with two different installations of CNC12, both at 4.20, so it doesn't seem likely that both installations corrupted at the same time. I most recently ran the lathe. This smells like a firewall or Windows thing, but I can't find anything definite.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Can you ping 10.168.41.2 from the Windows computer?
tkbot47

Post by tkbot47 »

cncsnw wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:53 pm Can you ping 10.168.41.2 from the Windows computer?
I'll try that tomorrow when I get back out to my shop. Question: When I do that in my situation, where I have two different boards communicating via a gigaswitch to the ethernet port of the computer, if I get a return ping, which board will be responding, or does it matter for this test? I could unplug each Acorn from the gigaswitch and ping separately, but since neither is responding, again, maybe it doesn't matter?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Someone more knowledgeable about Acorn will have to address that.

I thought that all Acorn boards (like MPU11, All-in-one DC, and Oak) had a fixed IP address of 10.168.41.2, and so you would have an address conflict if you connected two to the same network, and had them both turned on at the same time.
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099

Post by frijoli »

tkbot47 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:44 pm
frijoli wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:27 pm I would do a restore, and retest. Also, post a report.
I would do a restore as a last result, since the computer is working perfectly except for this......
Sorry I meant restore point. Retest.
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

tkbot47 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:58 pm I am suddenly having a communications error between my computer and my Acorn boards. My setup is: Intel NUC i5 computer with short shielded ethernet cable going to a Gigaswitch, feeding my mill and lathe Acorn boards (ver 3) through Centroid provided shielded ethernet cable. I'm running CNC12 v4.20 for both, one at a time, on the common computer running Win 10 (latest update 1909). The setup was working perfectly the last time I ran both tools (about 45 days ago). When I try to start either tool, I get the starting screen of CNC12 saying "establishing communication", then "unable to establish communication". Error logs have, in this order, "CNC started", then Error initializing CPU - cannot continue" and "Exiting known error 63". I cannot provide a fresh repost because it doesn't get that far.
I have tested all the cables, and the Gigaswitch and ethernet ports are OK because I can connect fine to the internet from the gigaswitch. I use Bitdefender antivirus/firewall, but all CNC functions for both versions are all "allowed" by the firewall, and were before. Windows firewall is off. Heartbeat of both Acorns is good, and no faults are present. I've tried plugging the Acorn ethernet cable directly into the computer, bypassing the switch - no help. I've rebooted the Acorns and computer multiple times - no change. I have backups of files dating back to when it was working, but I can't see that anything changed.

I'm stumped. Everything was working perfectly before, and not anymore. The only things I can think of that changed are:

- Normal program and virus updates to Bitdefender
- Win10 from v.1903 to v.1909, but I can't find a setting that changed.

Can anyone suggest something else I can check, or what might have changed or gone wrong? Is there anything I can check in CNC12, or perhaps reinstall it, or move to 4.20.1 to try and fix this? Has anyone else seen anything like this? I'm very frustrated!

Also should mention that I have a 3rd Acorn (ver 4) that I'm using on my rebuilt Shopbot, Intel NUC i3, CNC12 v4.20, Win10 v1909 - no problems whatsoever. Using all the same settings in Bitdefender and Win10, as far as I can determine......again, no problems.

Thanks
Run the PING test as suggested first.
We assume you only turn on one Acorn at a time....
If the ping test fails. Connect the CNC PC directly to the Acorn and rerun the ping test. (Check both Acorns)

Your CNC PC is to have a STATIC IP address assigned to it. You say you can connect to the Internet through the switch. Exactly how are you accomplishing that? My hunch is the CNCPC does not have its static IP address of 10.168.41.1 set.

There is a video to help you check that....
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1451

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

Connect one of the Acorns directly to the PC via Ethernet, to eliminate the Switch from the equation and check the IP address as Marty suggest.

I would also disable the Anti-Virus to make sure an update to it didn't flag the Centroid Software of the network connection to the Acorn as a problem with one of the latest updates (I understand that you are running the same thing on another PC, but modern Antivirus software might flag something on one PC as a threat and not another since it is using adaptive learning).
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
Richards
CNC11: No

Post by Richards »

Is the error a Centroidcnc error or a Windows error? If it is a Windows error, please read this:

"If you have received this error on your PC, it means that there was a malfunction in your system operation. Common reasons include incorrect or failed installation or uninstallation of software that may have left invalid entries in your Windows registry, consequences of a virus or malware attack, improper system shutdown due to a power failure or another factor, someone with little technical knowledge accidentally deleting a necessary system file or registry entry, as well as a number of other causes. The immediate cause of the "Error Code 63" error is a failure to correctly run one of its normal operations by a system or application component."
-Mike Richards