Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

DP4 probe coiled wire color help

Post by pescadoman »

So, the probe I bought from Ebay doesn't have the plug, so I'm try to figure out what colors go to what on the board. The Acorn schematic shows 2,3,5,6, and 7. I'm guessing the shield gets paired with the ground. The cable that Centroid sells is different colors, so that wasn't any help. The picture shows 9 wires, the red being the shield. This will go into a Molex mini fit 8 position. I thank you in advance and, if you'd like to tell me how stupid I am...go...ahead.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: DP4 probe coiled wire color help

Post by martyscncgarage »

pescadoman wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:50 pm So, the probe I bought from Ebay doesn't have the plug, so I'm try to figure out what colors go to what on the board. The Acorn schematic shows 2,3,5,6, and 7. I'm guessing the shield gets paired with the ground. The cable that Centroid sells is different colors, so that wasn't any help. The picture shows 9 wires, the red being the shield. This will go into a Molex mini fit 8 position. I thank you in advance and, if you'd like to tell me how stupid I am...go...ahead.
You don't have the coiled cord that PLUGS into DP-4? OR you the CPC (Circular Plastic Connector) that goes on the END of the coiled cord is missing?
Post a picture please, unsure what you are asking.

If you are missing the cord, just ask Centroid for a price and buy it, you would be better off.

You should have waited a bit longer for the new probe being released soon...(hint, it works pretty darn good so far....)
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

You could always ship it back to the seller for a refund. I search Ebay completed listings, he has 30 day money back if its the DP-4 without the cable. You have no idea how it was treated or the condition internally.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
pescadoman
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by pescadoman »

It was new in the box. I shut a drawer on it and damaged the thing...stupid. A new cord is 150.00. If I had the color codes I could figure it out. I'm waiting to hear back from Centroid, but this might be easier.
Attachments
20200225_143431[1].jpg
martyscncgarage

pescadoman wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:23 pm It was new in the box. I shut a drawer on it and damaged the thing...stupid. A new cord is 150.00. If I had the color codes I could figure it out. I'm waiting to hear back from Centroid, but this might be easier.
Don't have a clue what you got there, but that is not the CPC end of a DP4 probe cable (I have two of them and have installed several). and its not the end that plugs into the probe. Unless it is something custom rewired for another control perhaps?

Take a picture of the probe with the cable connected to it?
Mesa, AZ
pescadoman

Post by pescadoman »

so you are saying this is NOT the correct cable? The connectors you see are mini fit jrs, the red shrink wrapped is the shield, which was twisted up and shrink wrapped blue. The plan is to use Molex plugs instead of spending 150.00.
Attachments
20200226_010856[1].jpg
Allin1Chris
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by Allin1Chris »

pescadoman wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:13 am so you are saying this is NOT the correct cable? The connectors you see are mini fit jrs, the red shrink wrapped is the shield, which was twisted up and shrink wrapped blue. The plan is to use Molex plugs instead of spending 150.00.
That is the correct cable for the dp-4 probe, although it is missing the connector on the end. I highly suggest you read through the DP-4 manual available for free on the Centroid website. Centroid offers a lot of information on this page.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... nuals.html
and direct link to the dp-4 manual found on that page.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/d ... manual.pdf

There are wire diagrams that you may find useful in the manual that show the barrel connector pin layout (the part that plugs into the probe). However, i do highly suggest you look into replacing the cable with one that has the proper connector.

Additionally, if your new to centroid and/or acorn check out this forum post that has a lot of good information. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)

Centroid PLC Tutorial Videos
martyscncgarage

Attached are pictures of the current connector. It is an AMP 206434-1 (You would have to get the matching backshell for it)
Current Pinout:
1=Yellow
2=Red
3=Black
4=N/C
5=Green
6=Brown
7=Shield
8=N/C

You might have had a custom application?
They are not minifit pins. Centroid sells the bulkhead harness to go from Acorn, Oak or All in One DC to match the Amp connector I listed above, and matches the current schematics and documentation.

Marty
Attachments
IMG_20200226_061430815.jpg
IMG_20200226_061338878.jpg
IMG_20200226_061205911.jpg
Mesa, AZ
slodat

Post by slodat »

I have a different probe that came with 5 pin DIN like Tormach uses. I installed the mating panel receptacle on my machine. I’m using the probe detect and it all works well. Ordered quality plugs and receptacles from an audio shop online for a couple bucks.
Centroid188
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by Centroid188 »

What is the serial # of this probe. This looks like it maybe a OEM probe we provided to one of our OEM customers?