Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: UMC10 from Flashcut to Acorn?

Post by Fastest1 »

Nope, no upgrade on the drag device. Simple cable tie on a bolt. Not sure of the need on that but it worked. I do believe there is a simple switch in there for location.
1st Acorn project. G0704/BDTools/Hoss Conversion De"maching"
Leadshine MX 3660
Repurposed above Acorn (#194) and an Ethernet 1616 to a UMC-10 with an 8 position tool changer.
CNC12 Pro/Digitizing ver 4.64 (1/31/2022)
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Fastest1 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:48 pm Nope, no upgrade on the drag device. Simple cable tie on a bolt. Not sure of the need on that but it worked. I do believe there is a simple switch in there for location.
Ultimately what you want is a proximity sensor and a "target" accurately placed for each tool on the tool platter. Centroid will count the tools as they go by.
What you want to do is download the ATC PLC and read up on the carousel
It can be found here: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397

You might have to replace that motor he used. you want it to be able to stop pretty quickly. I do not remember if the carousel was bi-directional. If so, figure out that motor and its wiring so you know how to rotate it forward and reverse.

Doing your homework now before dismantling the current control will save you some trouble later

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

The carousel is a single direction, ac motor.
I did label the items that were obvious.
The control board is ac mains (120 powered and can run 2 on board outlets. 1 for the carousel, the other for coolant.
I wasnt sure of the voltage its inputs would require and then realized that maybe since there are only 4-5 pneumatic valves, why not skip a step? And go direct to the valve.
Leadshine MX 3660
Repurposed above Acorn (#194) and an Ethernet 1616 to a UMC-10 with an 8 position tool changer.
martyscncgarage

You might consider replacing that carousel motor with a small reversible DC motor with gear reduction or an AC variant. Perhaps a stepper motor with a planetary gearbox, with a driver that can control it in CW/CCW rotation.

Just an idea
Mesa, AZ
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

Marty though it might be more difficult in the long run I would like to reuse what was working. I am guessing that going back thru a tool change macro will tell me what pin was used for each process and for how long that signal was present. Of course I could be wrong there.
Today I unplugged the ac tc motor from that control board as it does have a 120v plug. Knowing it was a Geneva I didnt figure it would cause any harm. Sure enough it rotated just like a Geneva does. While it was rotating I used my meter to see what this switch on the changer was doing. At each stop of the turret, the switch provided a signal. Not specific to a single tool as I suspected but for each tool. I do know I never had an issue with incorrect tool numbering. Still have no idea what that cable tie does ;-)
My biggest challenge seems to be understanding that marker/index board. There a 2 connections that just arent clear. "Fault Emitter and Fault Collector". I will get more active once all of my boards are here, supposed to be here tomorrow.
Leadshine MX 3660
martyscncgarage

Fastest1 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:08 pm Marty though it might be more difficult in the long run I would like to reuse what was working. I am guessing that going back thru a tool change macro will tell me what pin was used for each process and for how long that signal was present. Of course I could be wrong there.
Today I unplugged the ac tc motor from that control board as it does have a 120v plug. Knowing it was a Geneva I didnt figure it would cause any harm. Sure enough it rotated just like a Geneva does. While it was rotating I used my meter to see what this switch on the changer was doing. At each stop of the turret, the switch provided a signal. Not specific to a single tool as I suspected but for each tool. I do know I never had an issue with incorrect tool numbering. Still have no idea what that cable tie does ;-)
My biggest challenge seems to be understanding that marker/index board. There a 2 connections that just arent clear. "Fault Emitter and Fault Collector". I will get more active once all of my boards are here, supposed to be here tomorrow.
The cable tie puts drag on the motor so it stops and does not coast.
So you have a switch to count as each tool passes. That's good as long as its repeatable and it probably is.

Post a close up picture of the Z index pulse board and wires that go to and from it when you get around to it.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

So it appears that the control board for the tool changer is 5vdc.
That switch I tested earlier is not landed onto this board and is going to the controller as an input. I should be able to track that easy enough.
As you can see in the pic, the outputs are numbered and the voltage indicated ;-)
Also in the mid upper right corner of the control board seems to specify a time value for each of the steps needed. Orient, drawbar, slide and air blast. Of course I am just speculating but my head says they are related.
65A8427A-B468-4EB7-9B14-C485EC6972D5.jpeg
07C65651-8873-49E6-AB06-EDA02BAED690.jpeg
Leadshine MX 3660
martyscncgarage

This board, carefully follow the wires and try and figure out how they are connected. The OUTPUTS are probably the index pulse closing the Flashcut Inputs
Board.jpeg
Mesa, AZ
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

Sorry this was a better pic of the output pins 9 & 10 and the 5v & gnd.
Not sure why they are rotating differently than they are shown.
1C72875F-F6FB-4EC5-8B4D-41BB4EF0C48D.jpeg
Leadshine MX 3660
martyscncgarage

The board with Slide, Air blast etc, is just firing the solenoids. Typical outputs, if you want to stick with 120VAC not a problem, and the Acorn/Ether1616 Output relays should be able to handle it ok.

The IO on the back of the Servo drive box, you will be able to figure out from the I/O Configuration within FC. Just tag each wire with their I/O number.

I would very carefully take a picture of that Index conditioner board, and label exactly how the input side is wired. You should be able to reuse the the board. I am pretty sure that board is taking the Servo index pulse from the 4 axis and giving you a useable output. In theory, you would use a mechanical switch on each axis, have a modified CNCM.HOM file which would have the control hit the mechanical switch and then back off and look for the respective axis index pulse. This will make for very accurate and repeatable homing.

Marty
Mesa, AZ