CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Help selecting components

Post by Panovak »

Hi there
Im building a 5x10' mechmate cnc router. I have decided on using acorn controls with dyn4 motors thanks in large part to Marty's great videos.

I was wondering if someone could help me to make sure I select the right items?

I have no electrical experience so the premade connections, where possible, are needed.

Also can I upgrade to digitizing bundle, Mill, lathe later on? Is it simply just downloading the software?

The machine will have 4 motors driving the router ( 2 x axis, 1 y axis and 1 z axis). Can acorn also run an indexer/lathe?

Thanks in advance for your help
Paul
https://photos.app.goo.gl/th6rUqavMVn2GkNa9 - Ill have images posted here
Allin1Chris
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Help selecting components

Post by Allin1Chris »

Hi Paul,

At any time you can purchase the digitizing bundle.

Acorn supports both lathe and mill setups.

I suggest looking at the great information we have on this forum post here If you haven't already.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)

Centroid PLC Tutorial Videos
martyscncgarage
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by martyscncgarage »

Panovak wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:06 am Hi there
Im building a 5x10' mechmate cnc router. I have decided on using acorn controls with dyn4 motors thanks in large part to Marty's great videos.

I was wondering if someone could help me to make sure I select the right items?

I have no electrical experience so the premade connections, where possible, are needed.

Also can I upgrade to digitizing bundle, Mill, lathe later on? Is it simply just downloading the software?

The machine will have 4 motors driving the router ( 2 x axis, 1 y axis and 1 z axis). Can acorn also run an indexer/lathe?

Thanks in advance for your help
Paul
Paul, DMM is pretty good about making a recommendation on motors. You will have to give them information about your old motors, the type of axis drive system, rack and pinion? Ballscrew? Pulley reduction? Motors direct driving the machine? Ratios?

Do you know what size motors are on the machine now? Make/Model number?

Pictures would be very helpful of the machine, the motors and their lables and how the motors drive the axis.
Keep in mind, its not all plug and play. You will need some electrical help. I would find someone that has that experience to guide you.
The Centroid schematics are a good starting point.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Panovak
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Panovak »

Hi Marty,
This is a diy machine. Its a mechmate that I have made from scratch so there is nothing to go off of. the original plans are outdated and use mach3 and steppers so the mechmate forum isn't much help either.

Indeed dmm was very helpful and I purchased three 750w motors and one 400w motor and their drives along with the cabling, etc. He gave recommendations for belt reduction which I have now somewhat figured out.
He also gave a wiring schematic for the power.

Is there somewhere I could see a comprehensive wiring schematic for an entire machine? what would be awesome is a version that is printable to life size that could be template for the control box. Does something like this exist? It seems the pieces are always in parts and pieces from what I've seen so far.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Attachments
Router Chassis.JPG
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

That is a great start Paul but when building a one off machine from scratch there is no "comprehensive machine schematic" for a single machine that doesn't even exist yet. Every machine is different with different options and features. The only "pre-made" cable you're gonna get is the shielded CAT5 cable to go from your PC to the Acorn. :mrgreen:

The Centroid schematics are an excellent start but you'll have to determine what options and features you are going to add and wire this beast as you go. Where are you located? Just as Marty suggested, I would also recommend getting someone with experience to help when it come to wiring since you stated that you have "no electrical experience".

Shawn
martyscncgarage

Choose the schematic based on the drives you are using. You bought the DYN4 drives, I assume you also bought their DYN4 to Acorn cables? Just use their paperwork.

Download the Centroid Acorn schematic sets and look through them. They are your best guides.
Mesa, AZ
Richards

Post by Richards »

You asked about an indexer/lathe motor in addition to the (2)X, (1)Y, and (1)Z motors. The Acorn can drive four motors. If you choose to slave the 2nd X-axis motor from the 1st X-axis motor, you will not be able to add an indexer/lathe motor; however, if you split the signal to the X-axis motors and invert the direction signal to one of the motors, you will have the capability to add an indexer/lathe motor. I don't know if DMM motors have a software option to invert the direction signal or whether you will have to build or buy an electronic inverter.
-Mike Richards
Panovak

couple easy questions

Post by Panovak »

Thanks everyone for your help. Not gonna lie I was panicked the other day about this project which probably came across in some of my posts. I started this DIY machine with absolutely no welding/ metal work experience or electrical/ wiring experience. I am a nurse by trade so this project is a hobby so I am hoping to not get to stressed about it.
Anyways, Ive been reading all of the schematics and watching a lot of videos which has given me some confidence.
A couple easy questions.
1) What gauge wire do I use? Anyway recommend a good wire stripper for this type of work?
2) When I bench test the motors. Do I test one motor at a time? Or do I wire everything up first? If I do one at a time do I remove the wired motor if its working properly?

Thanks again everyone
martyscncgarage

Re: couple easy questions

Panovak wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:47 pm Thanks everyone for your help. Not gonna lie I was panicked the other day about this project which probably came across in some of my posts. I started this DIY machine with absolutely no welding/ metal work experience or electrical/ wiring experience. I am a nurse by trade so this project is a hobby so I am hoping to not get to stressed about it.
Anyways, Ive been reading all of the schematics and watching a lot of videos which has given me some confidence.
A couple easy questions.
1) What gauge wire do I use? Anyway recommend a good wire stripper for this type of work?
2) When I bench test the motors. Do I test one motor at a time? Or do I wire everything up first? If I do one at a time do I remove the wired motor if its working properly?

Thanks again everyone
First, good for you for TRYING. You will experience some challenges, but there are a lot of videos on YouTube you should watch. They and this forum will help you.
Second, there is no clear cut rule. You have to provide more information about your build.
What size Spindle motor are you going to use? Which Spindle drive are you going to use? (If not a simple router motor?)
What size servo motors are you using?

When you get Acorn, bench test it to the computer ONLY. That is, get it setup and communicating with Acorn.
Add the NC Estop button, get it working.
THEN choose one Drive/Axis motor and connect them to Acorn. Get them configured properly. Then add the next 2 or 3.

East the elephant one bite at a time...

Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Re: couple easy questions

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:36 am
Panovak wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:47 pm Thanks everyone for your help. Not gonna lie I was panicked the other day about this project which probably came across in some of my posts. I started this DIY machine with absolutely no welding/ metal work experience or electrical/ wiring experience. I am a nurse by trade so this project is a hobby so I am hoping to not get to stressed about it.
A couple easy questions.

Thanks again everyone
First, good for you for TRYING. You will experience some challenges, but there are a lot of videos on YouTube you should watch. They and this forum will help you.
Second, there is no clear cut rule. You have to provide more information about your build.
What size Spindle motor are you going to use? Which Spindle drive are you going to use? (If not a simple router motor?)
What size servo motors are you using?

When you get Acorn, bench test it to the computer ONLY. That is, get it setup and communicating with Acorn.
Add the NC Estop button, get it working.
THEN choose one Drive/Axis motor and connect them to Acorn. Get them configured properly. Then add the next 2 or 3.

Go read EACH post from this thread, beginning to end. It might help give you a good overview of things: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2116

East the elephant one bite at a time...

Marty
Mesa, AZ