Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Tormach PCNC 770 Series 3 -- Updated 2/17/2020

Post by ScotY »

Following sling here as I had grand plans to convert my 440 to run on an Acorn. What encoder ring sensor would be good for 10k rpm? I don’t often run at max rpm but do often enough.

Brendan, do you have an ATC? That’s my larger concern...how to get it working under Acorn control.
briuz
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes

Post by briuz »

I am not sure what encoder read head would be good for 10k rpm. I ordered the 06B read head (which is supposed to be good to 9511 RPM) and the ring has 92 poles. So if you are using the same magnetic ring that will get you pretty close. If you use a different magnetic ring I don't know. Sorry. I am taking a gamble with my current order. If I get some time I plan to sit down and figure out all of the theoretical options that would work with Acorn on a spreadsheet. At the moment I am keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't screw up and what I ordered will work.

At some point I'd like to buy or build an ATC for the Tormach. (When I did the upgrade I even moved the keyboard/monitor arm to the other side so as to make space for it.) My thought is to use the Ether1616 system and replace the ATC board with an arduino board. The arduino would communicate with Acorn via the Ether1616 board(s) and interface with the stepper motor driver for the ATC as well as anything else that makes sense. Ideally the setup would be such that the Ether1616 would send the arduino signals to change tools and the arduino would reply to the Ether1616 when it was done. At least that is the concept I have in mind. I don't have the funds to do this at this time so it will be a while. When I do it I'll document it as well.
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by frijoli »

Is it possible to move this thread?
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Since this is more a build thread, I agree with Frijoli, I moved it to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller forum where it will get more views and possble responses. When shes complete, up and running, a video and pictures should be posted back to the Success stories forum!

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
briuz

Post by briuz »

I just got an e-mail the encoder should arrive on March 2nd. With a little luck I'll have the Tormach doing rigid tapping by next week this time! I'll add the blueprint for the encoder read head mount to the conversion document once I have it figured out.

While I don't have any videos of the Tormach running yet, it is working great and the Intercon allows me to program the machine in a fraction of the time that I would have done otherwise.

While I've traced out the connections, I still need to figure out how to get all of the panel controls back up and working. I may need to make up some sort of break-out board for the panel connections.

Also, I have this shuttlexpress controller that I got from Tormach and loaded the drivers. However, I don't have the "Centroid CNC.pref" file that is supposed to be located in c:\cncm\WizardResources\Template. Is there a way I can get this file or a reason why it is no longer included?

Thanks!
briuz

Post by briuz »

The encoder arrived on Monday and I just tested it tonight! Everything looks good so far.

I had to lightly turn the pulley and decided to install the magnetic ring on the top as I don't use the high speed pulley anyhow. Yesterday I machined a read head mount and installed and cabled everything today. The encoder is looking good. The downside is that I'll have to move the read head out of the way to replace the belt.

The encoder and ring are from RLS Merlina tehnika d.o.o. in Slovenija. The encoder part number is RLC2ICA06BB00A00 and has x64 interpolation. The magnetic ring is a MR061C051A092B02 and is a 92 pole encoder ring. I had to set the spindle encoder counts to -5888. I'll double-check the spindle with a laser tachometer tomorrow. However, from my previous spindle speed setup I think it will be right.
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Cool! Looking forward to some pics! When I got my Tormach mill, I didn’t think I’d like the shuttle controller but I find it’s faster and easier to use than the wireless MPG. The only thing I wish it was wireless.
briuz

Re: Tormach PCNC 770 Series 3 -- Updated 3/18/2020

Post by briuz »

Version 0.5 of the configuration document uploaded. I still need to test the rigid tapping capability in actual metal however I have been using the machine on a major project.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

briuz wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:01 am Version 0.5 of the configuration document uploaded. I still need to test the rigid tapping capability in actual metal however I have been using the machine on a major project.
What and where is the upload?
Test rigid tapping in machineable wax. If its off it will show up there.
Here is the Centroid Tech Bulletin for Acorn and rigid tapping for reference:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/304.pdf

Post a video of the machine doing its thing under Centroid control! Many of us would like to see a Tormach running under Centroid control. :D
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
briuz

Post by briuz »

The configuration document is in the first post in this thread. I've been updating it as I come out with a new version.

I've got to make a video real soon.
martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:17 am
briuz wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:01 am Version 0.5 of the configuration document uploaded. I still need to test the rigid tapping capability in actual metal however I have been using the machine on a major project.
What and where is the upload?
Test rigid tapping in machineable wax. If its off it will show up there.
Here is the Centroid Tech Bulletin for Acorn and rigid tapping for reference:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/304.pdf

Post a video of the machine doing its thing under Centroid control! Many of us would like to see a Tormach running under Centroid control. :D
Marty