Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Radial Digitizing only one Z depth?

Post by frijoli »

adatesman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 am Error always in the same section of the ring, hence thinking kinematics of the probe plus backlash in the screws.
Rotate the probe 90 degrees. If the error moves, it's in the probe. If it doesn't it's backlash
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
adatesman
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No

Post by adatesman »

frijoli wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:40 pm
adatesman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 am Error always in the same section of the ring, hence thinking kinematics of the probe plus backlash in the screws.
Rotate the probe 90 degrees. If the error moves, it's in the probe. If it doesn't it's backlash
Excellent suggestion. Thanks!
adatesman
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No

Post by adatesman »

Back at it. First, checked TIR on the probe. Is actually at 0.0005" TIR (+/-0.00025). Not going to mess with it at the moment, as fiddly and error I'm seeing is much larger.

First, ran the machine around to get the ways lubricated. Next, mounted the ring gage and bore probe to find center, which I set to 0,0,0. Another bore probe to confirm, then 3 attempts each with the LED front, left, back, right.

Error front/back and left/right match closely, but not off from each other. So clearly a kinematic thing going on. But much less than the wall following error I was seeing, so backlash also likely contributing. Will keep poking.

Oh, I spent a goodly amount of time with a 0.0001" Mit indicator and gage blocks a couple weeks back while bringing the probe online, and trust my screws to be good. Backlash was in the 0.002" range last I checked, but will verify in a bit.

2020-02-10_19-31-01.png