Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Configuring the GS2-11P0 VFD

Post by briuz »

I just spent several hours figuring out and configuring this VFD. One of the big issues was how to calibrate the motor speed as the motor frequency can only be set to 50, 60, or 400 Hz. So, if it helps anyone, I figured I'd post how I got this set and how to easily calibrate one of these VFD's really easily.

To start out, enter your motor specs in P0.00, P0.01, P0.02, P0.03, and P0.04. These specs should be on the plate on the motor. I set the motor RPMs to be 2850 in both P0.03 and P0.04. So, my settings are as follows:

P0.00 -- 208 (VAC)
P0.01 -- 2.4 (AMPS)
P0.02 -- 50 (Hz -- I used 50 Hz as my pulley sizes and motor speed would exceed any reasonable RPM's at the spindle anyhow.)
P0.03 -- 2850 (RPM's for 50 Hz)
P0.04 -- 2850 (RPM's for 50 Hz)

Setup how you have Acorn controlling the VFD. I set the VFD as follows:

P3.00 -- 01 (Operation by external control terminals.)
P4.00 -- 02 (Frequency determined by 0 to +10 V Input. Make sure Switch SW1 is set to "AVI" as well.)

Next, connect the control software to the machine and use the manual controls to turn the spindle speed all the way down. Then start the spindle motor. Using either the spindle readout or an external tachometer increase the spindle speed to whatever the max RPM's will be taking into account what the spindle bearings will handle. The VFD readout should still be in Hz (unless you changed it) and you will see the current frequency sent to the motor. Stop the spindle and put this value into P6.15. This will prevent you from running the spindle too fast by accident and possibly damaging the bearings or causing any other problems.

P6.15 -- 26 (Hz)

I also set the acceleration time and deceleration time as follows:

P1.01 -- 2.5 (Seconds accel)
P1.02 -- 1.0 (Seconds decel)

This all worked, but I had a lot of problems figuring out how to calibrate this VFD as I couldn't reduce the maximum frequency (in P0.02) to anything under 50 Hz. So the set spindle speed (i.e. M3 S640) was way off. Reading through the manual I found the answer in the section on "Analog Parameters" starting with P4.01. (The "Analog Parameters" allow for some pretty interesting features.) To make a long story short, I set the following:

P4.01 -- 01 (Positive offset -- Don't worry, it will still run the spindle in reverse with M4.)
P4.03 -- 52.4 (This is the key value. Using just this number will adjust the frequency.)

With P4.03 it is really easy to calibrate this VFD. Just set the spindle speed and this percentage will be roughly the calibration. i.e. Think of it such that if you set S640 and the spindle is running at 1280 RPM's that you can get close by putting 50 in P4.03. Then change this number for the final calibration.

I hope this helps!