Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Probing / digitizing spirals in polar coordinates

Post by adatesman »

Likely an odd thing to do and guessing the answer is no, but asking anyway....

I have need to reverse engineer some logarithmic spirals, and switched to Acorn from KFlop because I didn't have time to write the probing routines.

I've finally gotten probing working on the Acorn to my satisfaction (agrees with master ring gage to .0001"), so now looking at the Wall Following routines for mapping the spirals. In CNC12 v4.18, it seems Wall Following is only X and Y, but in my application X and A or Y and A would likely result in less mechanical uncertainty due to backlash since concentricity in bearings on the rotary is far better than backlash on the X and Y nuts.

Is Wall Following possible in CNC12 using a linear plus rotary axis? If so, I'm not seeing it. Currently downloading CNC12 v4.20.1 and the relevant docs, but hadn't seen mention of changes to this sort of thing here on the forum. Not sure why you would even do this sort of thing unless you were working in polar coordinates like I am, so wouldn't be surprised if it simply doesn't handle it. And that's ok, I can make changes to accommodate. But if linear + rotary is an option, that would be awesome.

Thx.
adatesman
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Probing / digitizing spirals in polar coordinates

Post by adatesman »

Kept poking, ran into other issues. Asked again here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4013&p=32153#p32153