Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

little green brick

Post by logisticsjoe »

I am bummed, I wanted to post pics of my finished CNC but I have to do a help post instead. I spent a few months researchng designing and building a 3x5' custom mill style CNC and then I killed the acorn beaglebone right at the end. I had some initial issues getting it connected to the computer (IP address) and it went smooth from that through bench test and configuration. I really like the ease of using the software. I am honestly not sure what happened to kill it. I mean, I am sure it is user error but I am not sure what I did with the wiring to kill it. I didn't automatically assume it was dead. I tried disconnecting everything that wasn't necessary to run it but nothing. I tried carefully following the desbricking procedures and nothing. This brick is cooked. I didnt have a beaglebone green at the house but I have some beaglebone black which have the same functionality. I tried loading firmware and installing. I was psyched to see the blue heartbeat start back up but there is no connecting the computer to it. I don't know how to tell if it is a registration issue or hardware because its not a green. I tried to research and found a video that said go into the software and run a report and submit the report to get a new registration number for the beaglebone. I can't figure out how to run the software without a functioning acorn.

So, I bought another seeed beagle bone green to match what was on the acorn. I dug around in the cncm folder and found a subdirectory named ReportBackup with some reports in it. Can I please get a point in the right direction on how I can now get the new beagle bone green registered with the system to finish my install. If attaching a report from that subdirectry or a particular pic or screenshot will help just let me know and I will add to post.

A little help to cross the finish line please. I want to post pics of a working cnc.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: little green brick

Post by martyscncgarage »

Well, you don't describe what you were doing or what happened. Did Acorn go dark? Did BBG go dark? Are you sure there is no damage to Acorn?
Centroid will sell to an original owner of an Acorn a replacement board at a reduced price, which is what I think you should have done.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... ranty.html

Were you able to reload the firmware onto the BBG you purchased and do you have a heartbeat? BUT you still can't communicate with the PC or?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Hello.
The number one way that the BBG becomes bricked is turning it off during a firmware update. (Don't pull the power during a firmware update, firmware updates commonly happen the very first time you install CNC 12 whether it be a fresh installation or an update)
If this happens or if it becomes bricked for any reason follow the de-bricking procedure on this page. And be sure to follow these directions to the t they absolutely have to be done exactly as described. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... icker.html

Then once you get a heartbeat going be sure to visit this page to diagnose any communication problems between your CNCPC and a running acorn with a heartbeat. viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1451
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
EricMack
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 74E1827A5BE2-0905181161

Post by EricMack »

Somehow, I bricked my BBG, or at least all of the symptoms suggested that to be the case. I downloaded and carefully followed the steps in the debricking technote. Got everything running in 10 minutes - most of that was looking for an micro SD card.
logisticsjoe

Post by logisticsjoe »

Excuse me. I have been traveling for work.

Thank you for initial responses. I guess my post wasn't as clear as I intended it to be. The BBG is not not functional at all. Not even after treying to load firmware. There is no heartbeat before or after attempt to reload the firmware. There is no physical damage to it that I can see without a microscope. I don't know when exactly or how it was damaged. It happened at some point after benchtest and close to completing the build. I have a cheap usb controller board if I have no other option to use it but I picked Centroid for a reason and I want to just throw it. I bought a new replacement BBG to get the accord back online. No problem loading firmware and getting to a heartbeat on the functioning replacement bbg. There was a note in one of the diy videos about having to pay centroid if the BBG needs to be swapped. I assume it is a fee to register the replacement BBG with the software. I checked their website and didn't find the options to do this. So my question is what do I need to do to get the replacement BBG online with the system and software after loading the firmware and putting it back together.

Thank you in advance.
Joe

p.s. Centroid, you are welcome to have the non-functioning BBG back if you want it for failure diagnostics. I can give you my address to send an envelope with postage. Its not very useful to me.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

logisticsjoe wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:24 pm Excuse me. I have been traveling for work.

Thank you for initial responses. I guess my post wasn't as clear as I intended it to be. The BBG is not not functional at all. Not even after treying to load firmware. There is no heartbeat before or after attempt to reload the firmware. There is no physical damage to it that I can see without a microscope. I don't know when exactly or how it was damaged. It happened at some point after benchtest and close to completing the build. I have a cheap usb controller board if I have no other option to use it but I picked Centroid for a reason and I want to just throw it. I bought a new replacement BBG to get the accord back online. No problem loading firmware and getting to a heartbeat on the functioning replacement bbg. There was a note in one of the diy videos about having to pay centroid if the BBG needs to be swapped. I assume it is a fee to register the replacement BBG with the software. I checked their website and didn't find the options to do this. So my question is what do I need to do to get the replacement BBG online with the system and software after loading the firmware and putting it back together.

Thank you in advance.
Joe

p.s. Centroid, you are welcome to have the non-functioning BBG back if you want it for failure diagnostics. I can give you my address to send an envelope with postage. Its not very useful to me.
Joe,
You make a statement "I picked Centroid for a reason and I want to just throw it" are you frustrated? Something may have happened during the control assembly process that caused an issue. This would not be the fault of Centroid. Rather than something damaged it. This is the number one reason for bench testing the new Acorn with the PC before connecting anything. You did say it did work during bench test.

Because you don't know what bricked it, errant wire hitting the Acorn board etc, you don't know if the Acorn board itself sustained any damage.

Rather than have you frustrated, would rather try and help you through things.
Have you gone back to ONLY the PC connected to Acorn (nothing else) and tried to PING the Acorn board? To see if the PC can actually communicate with Acorn?
Here is a video that tells you how to check ethernet port settings and to PING Acorn:
Please do the test and report back.

I posted the warranty statement. Here it is again: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... ranty.html
Centroid will provide a discounted price to those that initially purchased an Acorn but damaged it.
SINCE all licenses are tied to the BBG, you simply have to email diysales@centroidcnc.com with a NEW report from your Acorn and a previous report from the old Acorn. The will reissue the license to match the new BBG.

We are here to help you try and resolve the issue. So, disconnect all the Inputs and outputs from Acorn and only connect its power supply to it, connect the ethernet port from Acorn to the CNC PC using the supplied shielded cable that came with the Acorn kit. And follow the video above and see if you can PING Acorn 10.168.41.2
Let us know how you make out.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ