Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Custom CNC Plasma/Router - From scratch

Post by AESamaan »

I am not retrofiring an existing table. I am building one from scratch. I dont have the cash available all at once, so I prefer the slow build, purchasing components one by one.

I found a 9'x10'x8" water tank that I am building this around. My goal is a 8x10 cutting area, so this will work great.

I WANT TO USE CENTROID/ACORN to run this plasma table!!!! I have a manufacturing background, and fully appreciate the benefits of sticking with one hardware and software manufacturer that is consistent throughout the shop. I already have a CNC Router that is run by Centroid/Acorn.... so, I would like to do everything possible to STAY WITH CENTROID/ACORN FOR THIS PLASMA.

I would also like to have this table operate as a "light" router for cutting only foam. I plan wanted to use an electric flexible shaft grinder whose shaft can be grabbed by the same Z-Axis holder as the plasma. I like the relatively thin grinder for being able to plunge deep into complex designs without interference also. MORE IMPORTANTLY..... the grinder setup allows me to move forward with the Plasma table build while Centroid/Acorn completes it software plasma plug-in.

That said, I would like to:
1.) Encourage Centroid to give their plasma project more attention than they already are:
2.) Ask the Forum community how I can get a head start?????

I know that I will need NEMA23 Steppers on Module-1 rack and pinion.
Centroid has recommended the Proma line of THC. The MyPlams looks nice. They have three separate ones, but dont know enough to chose between one or the other.

Any help would be great.
AESamaan
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: Custom CNC Plasma/Router - From scratch

Post by AESamaan »

Here is a pic of the base of the table:

HERE IS A LINK TO THE SHARED GOOGLE IMAGE ALBUM:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sUEWFVU6buyGRx85A
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

looks like a great project.

fyi..

The first two plasma THC methods describe below work with Acorn and CNC12 right now as is...as these methods for THC are independent systems.
1.) THC that is Fully Independent of the CNC, uses its own additional Z axis and axis motor to move the torch head up and down. No special Acorn Plasma Plug in is needed for this type of THC.
2.) THC that is Integrated to the CNC style 1: The THC hijacks the step and direction signals from the Acorn to the axis motor driver and adds and subtracts pulses as necessary. No special Acorn Plasma Plug in is needed for this type of THC.https://www.proma-elektronika.com/compa ... generator/
this last method needs future CNC12 software support to work..
3.) THC that is Integrated to CNC style 2 : THC has three outputs UP, DOWN, and ARC OK. These Outputs are connected to the Acorn Inputs. Acorn Wizard as these selections in the input drop down list. ThcUp, ThcDown, ThsArcOk. The THC sends theser ‘commands’ to the Acorn by closing the input, when the UP input is closed CNC12 Adds steps to the Z axis position, when the ThcDown input is closed CNC12 Subtracts steps to the Z axis position. CNC12 waits for ThcArcOK before moving XY commands, when the ThcArcOK input is closed CNC12 knows that it is good to continue with XY movements. such as https://www.proma-elektronika.com/compact-thc-150/

A 'plasma' version of CNC12 is on the list to things to do. We are frantically working on several great projects and products and when they make it to martket we can turn our attention back to a Plasma specific version of CNC12, for now options 1 and 2 outlined above are the current plasma options for Acorn and CNC12.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

I understand High Frequency start plasma cutters play havoc on electronics. Not sure if your plasma cutter is one of those. Has it been tested with CNC Plasma controls?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
AESamaan

Post by AESamaan »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:33 am I understand High Frequency start plasma cutters play havoc on electronics. Not sure if your plasma cutter is one of those. Has it been tested with CNC Plasma controls?
Thank you for this. I have heard this before as well. Def something to check into.
AESamaan

Post by AESamaan »

cnckeith wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:06 pm
3.) THC that is Integrated to CNC style 2 : THC has three outputs UP, DOWN, and ARC OK. These Outputs are connected to the Acorn Inputs. Acorn Wizard as these selections in the input drop down list. ThcUp, ThcDown, ThsArcOk. The THC sends theser ‘commands’ to the Acorn by closing the input, when the UP input is closed CNC12 Adds steps to the Z axis position, when the ThcDown input is closed CNC12 Subtracts steps to the Z axis position. CNC12 waits for ThcArcOK before moving XY commands, when the ThcArcOK input is closed CNC12 knows that it is good to continue with XY movements. such as https://www.proma-elektronika.com/compact-thc-150/
Thank you for your reply. I had read in previous forum posts about the priority of the plasma add-on being behind other projects. I understand that, and just wanted to reiterate how important this project is to some of your customers.

QUESTION: What you are describing above is programming that can currently be done with Acorn, right? I can provide this text to a Centroid installer and they would know what to do?
AESamaan

Post by AESamaan »

RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE:

There seem to be around three or four choices for THC. Proma-Elektronika has 2 choices, and Neuron THC has another 2 to three choices.

The Proma 150 and SD are both $229 (Jan 2020) and look identical. The Neuron has prices from $500 to $900.

What is the difference? Which one has worked the best with Acorn?

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
Which one is "future proof", and will still be of use to Centroid Acorn after it makes its plasma upgrade?
AESamaan

Post by AESamaan »

REPLY FROM NEURON:

The main difference between this controllers is operator interface.
Lite controller use windows based user interface and communicate with CNC via plugin. Plugin allow to setup controller settings and cut settings, fast switch between cutting profiles, has plotting future for setup and test controller, error messaging to operator.

Simplicity has 5 button and 4 digit display for setup and work. Communicate via 3 hardware IO signals.
Both controllers has similar cutting technology and futures.
Maximum pulsing frequency (pulse signal to the motor driver) for Lite is 100 kHz, for Simplicity is 50 kHz.

Centroid can work only with Simplicity controler, because does not has a API for plugin.
Simplicity controller hase a same cutting process algorithm and futures as has the Lite controller.
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

cnckeith wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:06 pm looks like a great project.

fyi..

The first two plasma THC methods describe below work with Acorn and CNC12 right now as is...as these methods for THC are independent systems.
1.) THC that is Fully Independent of the CNC, uses its own additional Z axis and axis motor to move the torch head up and down. No special Acorn Plasma Plug in is needed for this type of THC.
2.) THC that is Integrated to the CNC style 1: The THC hijacks the step and direction signals from the Acorn to the axis motor driver and adds and subtracts pulses as necessary. No special Acorn Plasma Plug in is needed for this type of THC. https://www.proma-elektronika.com/compa ... generator/

A 'plasma' version of CNC12 is on the list to things to do. We are frantically working on several great projects and products and when they make it to martket we can turn our attention back to a Plasma specific version of CNC12, for now options 1 and 2 outlined above are the current plasma options for Acorn and CNC12.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
AESamaan

Post by AESamaan »

cnckeith wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:30 pm
cnckeith wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:06 pm looks like a great project.
I am done with the physical table and am ready to start building the controller box. I am going with Mach4, since Centroid, but still desire to have a shop with uniform software. May consider switching the box to Centroid once Centroid actually installs Plasma capabilities into their releases.