CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Weird behaviour of Z axis and Intercon < resolved, set tools up >

Post by bbatarelo »

Hi all,

disclaimer first - new guy here - this is my first CNC attempt so bear with me please. Also I apologise for not attaching report - I think I forgot a usb drive in garage. Instead here's my summary of sanity checks:
I have a new Wabeco F1410 milling machine with steppers and limit switches from factory. It's a standard column type mini mill with limit switches (x on the right, y near operator, z on top of the column). From what I've been able to figure out, all tests pass - machine is precise, backlash is few microns, all axes are moving properly and according to manual (with respect to tool), tool touch off probe TT1 works and records tool offset, wireless pendant works, machine homes properly (x moves table left, y moves table towards operator, z moves head up), spindle control works well and in both directions.
Basic g1 code works and sends table/head in proper directions at proper lengths (I measured - ball screws/ratios are all set correctly).

Now time comes for first cnc program. I was following that Full Length CNC Milling Machine Training Video and have decided to make a simple version of bolt hole drilling (in air) - dry run.

Here's an intercon program:
IMG_1151.jpeg

I moved table away from x and y limits and moved head somewhere between table and limit switch - a bit closer to limit switch so that tool check operation doesn't take ages.

Then I went ahead to set a part which is basically nothing more then zeroing all axes where I brought the machine.
IMG_1152.jpeg
IMG_1154.jpeg

All good for now - time to run the program. Step one, tool change - z goes up all the way - looking good.
IMG_1155.jpeg

Cycle start and spindle starts, x moves apparently to where it should, but Z DRO suddenly changes from where it was (+43mm) to +318mm and starts mowing downwards (towards zero I believe), however that's completely wrong. If I let it go it will hit the table.
IMG_1156.jpeg
Does anyone have an idea on what could cause that DRO Z reset and where this ~318mm came from?

I will be able to supply report a bit later in my evening (afternoon EST) and was also planning on updating software from 4.12 to 4.20.

Thank you in advance! I'll try not to bug here and I hope I'll get a feeling for these things soon.
Bruno
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Re: Weird behaviour of Z axis and Intercon

Post by tblough »

Check the tool table and see what the tool length compensation is for tool #1.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
bbatarelo
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Weird behaviour of Z axis and Intercon

Post by bbatarelo »

Thank you, that led eventually to the solution - z ref was off what it was supposed to be.

Bruno