Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

a sill thought called Plan B

Post by curiousMike »

My machining hobby is getting addictive. I have a PM 25V bench mill with the acorn system. As a Mach 4 refugee I do it love so. My mind has now turned to the possibility of buying a manual bench lathe which I call Plan A. A reoccurring thought keep popping up as what functionality the lathe would add over the current mill with its manual rotary table. The biggest thing I can come up is that the lathe can turning down or contour long round stock that need support at both ends. I am toying with a plan B which is to build a high speed 4 axis with tail stock
In my plan B the fourth axis would need a rotation speed comparable to a Lathe. The Clear Path servos have speeds in of 2K and up. It could use a ball end mill at the 3 or 6 o’clock position to turn down diameter or contour where a radius is required. Slots could be cut with a flat end mill moving in the Y direction. Intercon could do it all except…. to set and hold rotation speed while other G codes are being execution. Don’t know how to do that
My guess is just about everybody in this the business has thought about this Plan B and discarded it. I would love to hear why… be kind please.
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: a sill thought called Plan B

Post by swissi »

Check out this video from This Old Tony (TOT). It might give you some ideas:

Also check out the work from Cliff from Down Under. He's famous for his solution to design a gang tooling for his mill head to use his rotary axis as a lathe with tool changer:

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out CHIPS

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com