CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

HBS57 Drivers

Post by WillCNC »

Hello All!

I'm currently trying to reprogram my generic/ebay/noname HBS57 closed loop stepper drivers so I can change the N/O alarm signal to N/C to save input space on the acorn board. I have the RS232 cable connected to my computer and the driver. I can't seem to make communication between the driver and the software, Im trying to use COM1. I also tried using the longs closed loop debugging software program as well, but it does not want to connect either. Thanks for any help, I appreciate your time.

-Will

Link to the rs232 cable: https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... ion-cabel/

Link to Leadshine protune: https://mecheltron.com/en/product/hbs57

Link to longs program: https://www.longs-motor.com/service/
(found from this video by franco:
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: HBS57 Drivers

Post by ShawnM »

Hi Will,
When you plug in your usb to serial adaptor what com port does your computer tell you it’s on? Trying to use com1 when the adapter is probably on com5 won’t work of course. Did you load the drivers for your serial to usb cable? Does the pin out on the RS-232 cable you bought match up with your drive? I wouldn’t assume they are all the same so buying what might be a universal cable might not be that. It may not work with ALL drives. I’m going to be making a cable for a Longs Motor HSB86H drive later this week and have the pin out for the drive. I’ll report back on how it works.

Also Longs has their own software on their site, try to download it directly from them for their drives and report back.

I’m getting ready to tackle a complete machine upgrade to Longs closed loop drives and NEMA 34 motors with the Acorn myself.
WillCNC

Post by WillCNC »

Hi Shawn!

I'm have not been using a serial to USB, I have a desktop that accepts the 9 prong, my com1 driver is up to date.

I tried the longs program with no luck :? , still no connection.
My drive does not have a description of the pin out labeled.
I believe the only com port on my computer is com1, it seems like it tries to connect on com1 but just freezes and does nothing, it wont try with other coms (2,3,4,5) selected.

I was looking around and found a youtube video on pro tuner and this was the cable/pin out being used for HB860H. My cable is different if you trace out the colors.
Its confusing because I bought the same cable Franco used to program his drives in the above video (Link in the description).

I also just purchased the serial to usb (linked in the discrption of francos video) so I can try connecting using my my laptop instead of the CNC desktop. It should be in my sweet arms by Thursday!

The pinout you use would be very helpful.

Thankyou for your reply
Attachments
IMG_5171.JPG
IMG_5167.jpg
IMG_5169.jpg
WillCNC

Post by WillCNC »

Any updates?
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Yes, my serial cable pinout is different than the cable you show in your pics. But so is my drive. The pic you showed from Franco's video is using pins 2,3 and 4 on the RJ12 connector. The drive I'm installing, HBS86H, used pins 1,2 and 6 on the RJ12 connector. Verify in your drive manual what pins you need to use for Rx, Tx and ground.

The data I found online for the HBS57 says that pin 1 on the RJ12 is Tx, pin 2 is Rx and pin 6 is GND. Try swapping your wires on the DB9 to match and try that.
WillCNC

Post by WillCNC »

Thanks for the reply, i tried wiring it up shown in manual from leadsine below with no luck. I emailed the ebay seller and they sent me a google drive with information on the hbs86H which is wired the same as above. I also wired it the way you suggested and it still did not work.

It cannot be this hard lol

Maybe its my com port on my computer, I need to get a male to male adapter to use on my laptop because the cable i was sent is another female :shock:
114.PNG
Chaz
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Chaz »

Oddly, Im having the same issue on my HSS86 drivers. Own cable, doesnt connect / open the port. Would be good to see this solved, might help me too.
WillCNC

Post by WillCNC »

I got the male to male rs232 plug in order to use the serial to usb. I wanted to try and use my laptop to make sure nothing funny was happening with my com port on my cnc desktop. I used the wiring for tx,rx, and ground in the leadshine manual. Once I plugged in the USB adapter, I checked my devices on my computer and saw "profolic USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM4)". Then i went into the longs tuning software, hit "search" for serial port and COM4 popped up. On my other computer without the adapter this would result in COM1 (which would be right). It tried to connect but did not work. (I also tried in the leadshine protuner software with no luck). So now i'm guessing its safe to assume my communication ports are OK. I need to figure out the TX, RX, and Ground for this darn drive. Would it be a good idea to take the case off the drive and check the connections on the female rj12 to determine which is which? Any support would be Amazballs. Thanks.
WillCNC

Post by WillCNC »

It seems like all of the closed loop hbs57 drives from various brands/sources are wired like in the above photo of the rs232-rj11 Com port. Is it possible that the software used to program these drives is not interchangeable between makes? Does anyone have a no name drive that they have successfully programmed?

I purchased mine from the ebay vendor fasttobuy2012
Here is a link https://www.ebay.com/itm/122227701333?V ... 2227701333
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

WillCNC wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:36 pm It seems like all of the closed loop hbs57 drives from various brands/sources are wired like in the above photo of the rs232-rj11 Com port. Is it possible that the software used to program these drives is not interchangeable between makes? Does anyone have a no name drive that they have successfully programmed?

I purchased mine from the ebay vendor fasttobuy2012
Here is a link https://www.ebay.com/itm/122227701333?V ... 2227701333
Ask your vendor...
Its one of the reasons I spend a little extra money and buy from a source in the US with support.
cnc4pc.com and automationtechnologiesinc.com are a couple of good ones.
cnc4pc.com is a dealer for genuine Leadshine.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ