CNC Control System Serial Number: 74E182A80DDE-0312191753
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

ClearPath two axis Install(revisited)

Post by kilo7 »

Hi All,
Upgrading to Teknik servos on the lathe. Reading through the schematic S14972.DWG. I see the DRIVE OK OUT1-OUT3 tied to Acorn 24vdc common on a separate relay board ,5vdc PS common ,and com of the E-Estop to IN8 .The inscribed Note suggests using a 5VDC NPN SPDT relay board. Isn’t this the same as the relay board that comes with Acorn Rev4?
I wonder if I should tie the commons that go through the E-Stop Switch to IN8 Estop signal to a central point?
A bit confusing the schematic is showing a separate 5v pwr supply and relay. Seems like I could just use the 8 gang relay board I have.
I guess the single clear path schematic S14971would be the one to use? Just hook up second motor. like the first.
Attachments
S14971-ACORN_rev4_CLEARPATH_SDSK_SERIES_MOTOR.pdf
single
(143.97 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
report_74E182A80DDE-0312191753_2019-12-22_21-28-15.zip
v4.20 current
(535.93 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
S14972-ACORN_rev4_MULTIPLE_CLEARPATH_SDSK_SERIES_MOTORS.pdf
multiple
(183.52 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Last edited by kilo7 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A job worth doing “right", is!
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Re: ClearPath two axis Install

Post by Gary Campbell »

kilo...
Yes, the relay board shown on the "multiple" schematic is the same as the provided Acorn 8 channel relay board

The schematic shows 4 ClearPath ENA- inputs on one side of the switch, 4 Acorn ENA signals to the other. Personally, I do not use the Acorn signal ENA terminals, instead connect ENA- to COM or thru an Acorn relay to COM

The "multiple" motor schematic provides a way to connect multiple HLFB fault signals from the motor(s) to one "DriveOk" input If you have the 2nd input available and ver 20 you can connect each motors HLBF to is own input
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
kilo7

Re: ClearPath two axis Install

Post by kilo7 »

Gary
yes , I see now how you connect ena to COM. The HLFB+ Signals on the multiple motor schematic show them going to IN1 , IN2 and IN3. Are these the connections on Acorn board inputs? I guess the Illustration of the relay board is to clarify those inputs to acorn in and then out to relays OUT1-8.
The DriveOK looks to be tied to COM using the relays . Is the SDSK motors HLFB+ signal wire Hooked to IN1-IN3 (on Acorn)?
As far as what version I have I haven’t. a clue . I just got them today, set them up no load autotune. I will hook them up to the lathe tomorrow.
Thanks Gary
kilo7

Re: ClearPath two axis Install(revisited)

Post by kilo7 »

Since the last post , I’ve installed two 2321-ELN servo’s on the lathe.
Bypassing Acorn’s EN1 and EN2 and connecting to COM fixed the Drive Fault and Axis movement, Temporarily.
The faults would comeback at random. So I did the next best thing. I lied to acorn and set
Axis motor drive fault to 2011300000 ms. I have no clue what this number should be. All I know is
that I don’t get drive faults any longer and the lathe cuts parts well. One caveat , possibly I will not be alerted
of soft faults for the servo’s . Im unsure
Attachments
report_74E182A80DDE-0312191753_2020-01-01_14-26-49.zip
v4.20 Clearpath Servo’s working well
(611.74 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
drive fault delay
drive fault delay
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

kilo7 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:51 pm Since the last post , I’ve installed two 2321-ELN servo’s on the lathe.
Bypassing Acorn’s EN1 and EN2 and connecting to COM fixed the Drive Fault and Axis movement, Temporarily.
The faults would comeback at random. So I did the next best thing. I lied to acorn and set
Axis motor drive fault to 2011300000 ms. I have no clue what this number should be. All I know is
that I don’t get drive faults any longer and the lathe cuts parts well. One caveat , possibly I will not be alerted
of soft faults for the servo’s . Im unsure
It is a timer to allow the drives to come on line into the ready mode before MONITORING the drive fault line.
Do you need to change the state of the input line I wonder? From NC to NO or vice versa?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Richards

Post by Richards »

The HLFB wires (Red and Green) on the ClearPath cable work opposite to the other six wires. For step, direction and enable, the '+' wire is tied to 24VDC and the Acorn pulls the '-' wire down to activate the signal. For the HLFB signal, the Red wire is connected to GND and the Green wire sinks the signal of an Acorn Input. (See page 171 of the v3.05 ClearPath manual.) As Gary said, with CNC 12 v 4.20, each ClearPath motor can send its own No Fault or Drive Ok signal to the Acorn. Also, don't forget to properly set the method used by the ClearPath motor for the HLFB signal. The various ways that the HLFB signal can be used are described starting on page 48 of the ClearPath Manual. I don't remember what Teknic's default setting is for HLFB, but I misunderstood it at first and kept getting unexpected faults until I set the mode to only fault if a real fault occurred. The delay time in Wizard is the default setting on my Acorn boards.
-Mike Richards
kilo7

Post by kilo7 »

With the default settings for the timer I would get the dreaded DriveFault,I kept increasing the value until it worked. As for the NO/NC input state it makes no difference which one , power on e-stop out it always enables.The enable-org out of the estop for both axis, I tied to COM not EN1 and EN2. I do get a drive fault on Axis2 when estop is pushed. But not both.There are a few options for HLFB I chose "Enable Input”.it seemed the most logical of all the choices. Other than not using en1 and en2 enable lines on the Acorn the wiring matches SI4972 Schematic.
Attachments
AcornInputs1-2-5.png
Richards

Post by Richards »

I use 'Servo On' for HLFB. Its definition: "SERVO ON In Servo On mode, the HLFB output asserts (conducts) when ClearPath is enabled and not in a shutdown state. This signal is often used to monitor ClearPath for shutdowns, or as the control signal for an external brake. Note: the HLFB circuit cannot directly drive an external brake." Page 59 of ClearPath v3.05 manual.

On my system, when HLFB is asserted, the DriveOK signal on the Acorn is pulled LOW. If the servo faults, the HLFB is unasserted (turned off) and the DriveOK signal floats HIGH. Using the ClearPath 'scope function can show what the HLFB signal does when set to different modes of operation. What I want to happen is to have the HLFB ON when the motor is enabled and to stay on until the motor enable line is turned of unless the motor faults.
-Mike Richards
Gary Campbell
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

I also use the "Servo On" definition for the HLFB setting
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
kilo7

Post by kilo7 »

Roger Wilco on “Servo On” HLFB setting. This is the setting that was selected.What I found was INP5 : DriveOK is not activating,"I suspect my relay wiring".
The Multiple clearpath schematic shows inputs 1 and 2 for HLFB+ axis 1 and 2 .And a daisy chained out put for DriveOK. There is but one selection on the wizard outputs So I selected OUT1 as NoFaultOut. HLFB+ inputs INP1 and INP2 are on(green) in the diag. Screen. DriveOK (INP5) not activating explains why I was getting 9031 DRIVE FAULT!. So by Setting Axis Motor Drive Fault delay time to a couple of million ms would never let the drive fault show up. Mary’s question of the Axis Enable Signal Inversion selection checked/or unchecked got me thinking ,Is this because the enable of the servos are tied to com through the E-stop and not using the Enable line on Acorn? Checked or unchecked the Axis enable works. Or because the DriveOK signal is low. I’m unsure how the PLC code handles this and if there is any correlation.
I only see the one output for NoFaultOut. I suspect this is why the outputs are daisy chained between the relays.
What would be the method for using separate HLFB Axis DriveOK signals? I have Acorn v4.20

I’ll chase down the (bad connection) relay wiring and get INP5 connected as DriveOK high state and OUT1:NoFaultOut working
Attachments
report_74E182A80DDE-0312191753_2020-01-13_09-29-40.zip
(619.48 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
S14972-ACORN_rev4_MULTIPLE_CLEARPATH_SDSK_SERIES_MOTORS copy.pdf
(183.52 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
diagnostic.jpg
HLFB DriveOK.jpg