Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Tree Journeyman 425 mill retrofit

Post by slodat »

I have fought an intermittent servo fault on the X axis since I got this machine running. The only real work around I found was to keep lowering rapids and acceleration. I finally got to swapping it with the Y axis servo today. Of course, the problem followed the motor. I can honestly say, I don't recommend these DMM servos. I have had so many problems with them over the three machines I have tried to use them in. If I had it to do again, I would have gone another way. At this point that would be a lot of money down the drain.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

slodat wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:02 pm I have fought an intermittent servo fault on the X axis since I got this machine running. The only real work around I found was to keep lowering rapids and acceleration. I finally got to swapping it with the Y axis servo today. Of course, the problem followed the motor. I can honestly say, I don't recommend these DMM servos. I have had so many problems with them over the three machines I have tried to use them in. If I had it to do again, I would have gone another way. At this point that would be a lot of money down the drain.
Get with DMM. They should replace that motor. All manufacturer's have duds. They are lower end import units, but at least the have a representative you can go back to for support unlike eBay units

Let us know if Stephen will resolve the issue for you. Do let them know you are a member of the Centroid user forums and have been reporting your progress/journey.

Good luck!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
lavrgs
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

I had a drive fail and DMM replaced it. I found Stephen to be very responsive..,I would give him a call, Since you have purchased so many items I would hope they would help. They do have DMMDRV software that will help troubleshoot have you run it? It requires a special cable...
My issues with DMM were noise related and member KENTONSJ had a plug and play differential driver board that solve missing step problems - I never had any luck with the db25 option.
slodat

Post by slodat »

I sent Stephen an email yesterday before I posted.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I agree that Stephen at DMM is very helpful and will help solve the issue. When I bought my DYN5 servo drives I had one bad right out of the box and he replaced it quickly.

I've never used the DYN4 drives but the DYN5 drives were rock solid wired directly to the Acorn headers. The DYN5 drives have both 5v and 24v signal inputs unlike the DYN4 drives. To date I've not heard of another member buying the DYN5 drives yet. The DYN4 drives are old school now. :D
slodat

Post by slodat »

DMM agreed to replace the motor. They wouldn’t ship until my motor made it back to them. Took the USPS two weeks to get the motor to DMM. They shipped the replacement the next day. I again want to emphasize they have been great from a customer service perspective and have done right by me after the sale every time. If anyone is wondering.. no they did not ask me to post this.

I’ve been critical of their product issues and feel it’s the right thing to do to talk about how their customer service has been great.

Tracking shows motor should be here Monday.
martyscncgarage

slodat wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:20 pm DMM agreed to replace the motor. They wouldn’t ship until my motor made it back to them. Took the USPS two weeks to get the motor to DMM. They shipped the replacement the next day. I again want to emphasize they have been great from a customer service perspective and have done right by me after the sale every time. If anyone is wondering.. no they did not ask me to post this.

I’ve been critical of their product issues and feel it’s the right thing to do to talk about how their customer service has been great.

Tracking shows motor should be here Monday.
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
slodat

Post by slodat »

Installed the replacement 1.3kW servo motor from DMM. I’ve ran the same program that I was having issues with, without a tool and the spindle stopped. It runs great, with faster rapids. This machine is finally where it should be. It’s unfortunate they have so many quality issues that make it past whatever QA process they may have.

I really wanted the ZRI homing, bolt in NEMA 42 servos, etc.

Also upgraded to CNC12 v5.04. I have a production run of my products this machine will be helping with starting today.
lavrgs
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

Sounds good. It's nice when they crank out chips!
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-06-16 073402.jpg
martyscncgarage

slodat wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:24 am Installed the replacement 1.3kW servo motor from DMM. I’ve ran the same program that I was having issues with, without a tool and the spindle stopped. It runs great, with faster rapids. This machine is finally where it should be. It’s unfortunate they have so many quality issues that make it past whatever QA process they may have.

I really wanted the ZRI homing, bolt in NEMA 42 servos, etc.

Also upgraded to CNC12 v5.04. I have a production run of my products this machine will be helping with starting today.
They aren't high end servos. They are affordable and come with SOME service unlike generic eBay AC Servos. Leadshine would be another option, but as you might expect, they are a little more money.

We do the best we can with the financial resources available. Sometimes it's not best to go inexpensive.

I am glad they made it right by you, even if you had to jump through some hoops to get there

I wished they had a distributor state side and they could update their firmware more conveniently than having to send the drive back.

They do ship pretty fast ...

Glad you are back up.

Marty
Mesa, AZ