Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 780473A2EE6C-1022192587
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Has anyone attempted to install Tower Signal Lights

Post by Caleb »

Completely forgot about compiling earlier when I had a quick look at it so sorry about that...

Can't get to the machine to try it but would "if SV_JOB_IN_PROGRESS && G28 !LightOnTimer THEN (Yellowlight)?
Or similar editing what is now built in to the plc?
If there is a better but still simple way then I would be grateful for a nudge in the right direction.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

There is no "G28" token in the PLC programming. If you want the PLC to know when the CNC program is waiting for the operator to change tools and press Cycle Start, you will have to explicitly tell it so.

Without a Report, I cannot speculate on what your tool-change macro file or PLC program may look like.

Suppose, for example, that this is on a mill, and that you do not already have a custom M6, and that SV_M94_M95_7 is not yet used for anything in your PLC program.

Then you could add this definition to your PLC program:

Code: Select all

ManWait     IS SV_M94_M95_7 ; waiting for operator to change tools and press Start
and of course you would need to make sure it got turned off if the program were cancelled while waiting:

IF !SV_PROGRAM_RUNNING THEN RST ManWait
and you could then use it in stack-light logic like you want:

IF ManWait && !LightOnTimer THEN (Yellowlight)
To make the light come on during tool changes, you would need to create a custom "mfunc6.mac" CNC macro file similar to the following:

; M6 - Tool Change
M94/7   ; signal the PLC that we are waiting at a tool change
M6      ; run the default M6, to prompt the operator to change tools and press Start
M95/7   ; signal the PLC that we are no longer waiting at a tool change
If you have a lathe, of course, the tool change macro would be different.

If you use M0 and M1 to stop and wait for the operator during your CNC programs, you might want to customize those codes in a similar manner, so that they also cause the yellow light to turn on while waiting.
Caleb
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Caleb »

CNCNW thank you for taking the time to reply.
Sorry about being vague I'm using my phone to have a look and get ideas together so when I'm in the shop and have chance I'm a bit more prepared rathe than use time with the machine reading up.

It is a lathe with operator tool changes, G code using the standard intercon programming. It does wait for the operator to press cycle start, I'll have to have a look at the g code to see what else it's doing as M28 seemed like like a good choice but M0 /M1 would make a lot more sense if they are being used.

I've added a report from another thread, I'm not 100% certain it's got the lights set in it though as it was when I was looking at something else but the rest of the setup has changed.
Attachments
report_780473A2EE6C-1022192587_2020-07-28_11-11-52.zip
(775.79 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Since you already have a custom cnctch.mac (lathe tool-change macro), you would just add the M94 and M95 commands bracketing the existing M225 line that prompts for the tool. The additions to the PLC program would be the same as on a mill.

Your PLC program already has an M28 definition (something to do with a "dust foot"), and an M28 macro file (apparently to turn off a vacuum). Given the "everything plus the kitchen sink" philosophy of Centroid's Acorn PLC programs, it can a little hard to find a suitable M function request that is not already assigned to something.

It does appear that request number 7 (SV_M94_M95_7), which I proposed using in the earlier post, is available in your PLC program.
Caleb

Post by Caleb »

Don't have a dust foot, only got flood coolant and shouldn't be anything custom on it as it's all set in the wizard as a standard 2 axis lathe... Shouldn't be any custom macros and I've got no tool changer!

The only custom thing I've done on it was before the latest update was had to change the message file so it showed the correct order of (lathe) selected axis with the contour shuttle. But that's been fixed with the latest update.

EDIT

I've a fresh report
Attachments
report_780473A2EE6C-1022192587_2020-08-24_12-27-02.zip
(748.79 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Caleb

Post by Caleb »

Ok, so I've just had another look and my current cnctch.mac only contains:
IF #9006 != 0 THEN GOTO 200
M225 #100 "Please Change to Tool Number %.0f\nThen Press Cycle Start to continue" #4120
N200

So, utilising the M225 should be an option as basically thats what Im after indicating?

I've no idea where anything custom previously would have come from!
GBCues
CNC Control System Serial Number: noneC120192

Post by GBCues »

Caleb, Bosaro,
I have been wanting to do the same thing and it turns out to be ridiculously easy for simple stuff.
Start up CNC12 and go to The Wizard. Then open the Output section. Scroll down the long list of parameters on the left until you get to GreenLight, AmberLight, RedLight. Drag GreenLight over to an unused output in your system - let's say Output1.
Now save the configuration and start CNC12 back up. Start up a program and press Alt-I to display the input and output statuses on the screen. You will see Output1 blinking on and off. You can also hear the relay on your Acorn board clicking On and Off. So you finish up by connecting your green light to Output1 in the normal way.
A more detailed explanation of which parameter to use can be found in the the Wizard Input and Output definitions here:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... ctions.pdf
Hope this helps!
Gary
Caleb

Post by Caleb »

Yeah the standard light output is really simple.
I was actually looking at changing what the lights were indicating to show the machine was waiting for the the tool to be changed
while a job is running but I've not got round to writing the PLC program changes for it.