CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

EMCO Turn 55 Time based tool changer

Post by mdhubilla »

Hello!

currently I am working on retrofitting my Emco Mill 55 and turn 55. My CNC Mill is already working and currently working on CNC Lathe. I am now stuck at the Turn 55 automatic tool change. The easiet for me is like this video on youtube " ".

I found a thread with atc overview and able to download the Acorn v4.18 lathe Turret time based. I copied the files as per instruction.

When I start CNC12 all the outputs are working perfectly except for the OUTPUT 2 which is for the tool changer. attached herewith is my zip file.
Going to mdi typing "m18" and cycle start there is no reaction for the output 2. Typing T0202 and other tools gives me correct timing based on the message upon checking. However through m18 or tool change command the output 2 is not being energized.

Attahced herewith is my zip report.

Your reply is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Marlon
report_3403DE636B67-0717192285_2019-11-13_15-17-05.zip
zip report
(256.2 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: EMCO Turn 55 Time based tool changer

Post by martyscncgarage »

Your parameter settings show you did not follow the install sheet. Look in the Zip file you downloaded for installation instruction sheet for your particular Acorn Time Based Tool Turret wth Home Sensor. I have attached the sheet for the TIME BASED Sensor and its schematic. You MUST follow the schematic and you must follow the installation instructions. You do this AFTER your machine has been configured properly. DO NOT USE THE WIZARD after you installed the custom PLC. If you use the Wizard, it will overwrite the custom PLC. Changes must be made WITHIN CNC12.
Once your machine is running as you expect it, with the Turret functional, then create a report and save it off the machine as well. I would also COPY the CNCT directory on the machine, and create a copy OFF the machine.
Attachments
ACORN_Time_Based_Turret_Instructions.pdf
(109.02 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
S14988-ACORN_rev4_TIME_BASED_TURRET_WITH_HOME_SENSOR.pdf
(167.72 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
mdhubilla
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by mdhubilla »

Hello Marty,

Thanks for your reply. The turret tool changer is already working. With your past emco machine retroffitting project, where you able to utilize the proximity switch/sensor along each axis that I believe serves as encoder like purpose to have a closed loop stepper motor?

thanks.
martyscncgarage

mdhubilla wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:04 pm Hello Marty,

Thanks for your reply. The turret tool changer is already working. With your past emco machine retroffitting project, where you able to utilize the proximity switch/sensor along each axis that I believe serves as encoder like purpose to have a closed loop stepper motor?

thanks.
Good you got your changer working!
Please explain this statement:
"With your past emco machine retroffitting project, where you able to utilize the proximity switch/sensor along each axis that I believe serves as encoder like purpose to have a closed loop stepper motor?"

Some Emcoturn lathes use a hall effect sensor. There is a magnet on the leadscrew pulley. I have utilized it on the small PC5 lathes. You move the carriage and the cross slide to marks on the lathe, then press Cycle Start to home the machine. The machine will rotate the motors slowly until each hall effect sensor trips and set home there. A bit more repeatable than a mechanical switch or no home switch at all. See picture below for the idea:
My Emcoturn 140 uses these sensors and I use them to home that machine as Emco intended.

Marty
Attachments
EMCO PC5 Hall Switch.jpg
Mesa, AZ
Jr914

Post by Jr914 »

Marty

Is the reverse polarity voltage of 3.2v applied to the Emco tool changer is always present accept for a tool change command when the 12v is applied d.p.d.t from the relay?

John
martyscncgarage

Jr914 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:27 pm Marty

Is the reverse polarity voltage of 3.2v applied to the Emco tool changer is always present accept for a tool change command when the 12v is applied d.p.d.t from the relay?

John
Yes, it holds the turret against the pawl.
Mesa, AZ
Jr914

Post by Jr914 »

That makes sense some what if a holding force.

Thanks
John
Jr914

Post by Jr914 »

One of your video you mentioned changing a gear in one of your axes (EMCO 5). Do you happen to know the gear type (MXL) I think you said it was a 20 tooth but what size belt did you used?

John
mdhubilla

Post by mdhubilla »

Hello, new problem encountered

My m18 function is not working, it is for homing the turret. I believe everything is okay like the stepper motors steps and direction and spindle rotary encoder setup. here's what I did.

1. Fresh Installation of CNC 12
2. Setup steps and direction of stepper motor drivers including home to switch function using the wizard.
3. Setup spindle for rotary encoder attachment using wizard.
4. Setup the time based turret by following the instructions included.

after that, got a reading with the spindle encoder by manually rotating the encoder. Homing to switch is working (I manually trigger the homing switch coz motors and drivers is not yet connected to the acorn board). Outputs like Nofaultout, spindle break release and spindle direction is working except the OUTPUT2 relay which is for the tool changer.

I checked the ACORN_Time_Based_Turret.src and found a semi colon in the line before "IF M62 THEN (OUTPUT2)" (Please see picture). I removed the semicolon and then recompile it.

after that the output2 is triggered by m21 for one tool change, and T0101 - t0808 is working except that M18 is not working. I cannot home the turret, tool position would always be lost.

I appreciate all the help for this. Thank you.

attached herewith is some pictures and report file.
Attachments
report_3403DE636B67-0717192285_2020-10-20_19-09-56.zip
(298.79 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
122044390_371292160893556_4738213671358949179_n.jpg
martyscncgarage

mdhubilla wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:13 am Hello, new problem encountered

My m18 function is not working, it is for homing the turret. I believe everything is okay like the stepper motors steps and direction and spindle rotary encoder setup. here's what I did.

1. Fresh Installation of CNC 12
2. Setup steps and direction of stepper motor drivers including home to switch function using the wizard.
3. Setup spindle for rotary encoder attachment using wizard.
4. Setup the time based turret by following the instructions included.

after that, got a reading with the spindle encoder by manually rotating the encoder. Homing to switch is working (I manually trigger the homing switch coz motors and drivers is not yet connected to the acorn board). Outputs like Nofaultout, spindle break release and spindle direction is working except the OUTPUT2 relay which is for the tool changer.

I checked the ACORN_Time_Based_Turret.src and found a semi colon in the line before "IF M62 THEN (OUTPUT2)" (Please see picture). I removed the semicolon and then recompile it.

after that the output2 is triggered by m21 for one tool change, and T0101 - t0808 is working except that M18 is not working. I cannot home the turret, tool position would always be lost.

I appreciate all the help for this. Thank you.

attached herewith is some pictures and report file.
Do not fool with the src file unless you know what you are doing. There is no need to edit it. Everything you need should be in the time base instructions.

Create a video and show/explain what your issue is.
Wasn't this working previously?
Mesa, AZ