Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn connect has me stumped

Post by cnckeith »

this is a 10 minute fix...
Always do the basic Acorn to CNCPC bench test first before hooking anything else up to the CNC PC or the Acorn. This is outlined in the install videos..maybe you are missing something or skipping it? here i'll write it down....
path to success...
1.) configure Windows 10 according to the Acorn instructions. DO not hook anything else to the CNC PC.. do not hook up the PC to a network, do not use a ethernet switch etc.., UNINSTALL any anti virus software! you can't simply turn off.. you must uninstall and 3rd party antivirus software, Turn off Windows Firewall (you can turn back on later) verify the CNC PC Ethernet port is active and working in Windows control panel. Ping the port following the instructional video we provided to prove that the PC port works. 5 minutes time..
2.) wire the acorn according to the communications bench test schematic 1 minute time
3.) power up the Acorn wait for heartbeat. 10 seconds
4.) Ping the Acorn following the instructional video. 30 seconds if good move onto next step
5.) install CNC12, run CNC12 if you are asked by windows to allow to run...be sure to check both "public" and "private" and ok it.. 1 minute. done....:-)
Attachments
S14952-ACORN_rev4_BASIC_POWER_AND_COMMUNICATION_Bench_Test.pdf
(155.22 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
eng199
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes

Post by eng199 »

logisticsjoe wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:58 am I tried both obtain an IP address and DNS automatically as well as use the following IP address: 192.168.45.1. Neither option helped. Still unable to establish communication with acorn.
The adapter has to be set to 10.168.41.1.
Richards
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Richards »

(Duplicate Post - Deleted)
Last edited by Richards on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mike Richards
cnckeith

Re: Acorn connect has me stumped <set IP address>

Post by cnckeith »

as eng199 and marty have said and as seen in the how to videos...the CNC PC ethernet adapter setting must setup like this.
ip address.PNG
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Richards

Post by Richards »

Here are two screen shots of my Windows 10 - Acorn ethernet connection. Note that I am using DHCP to get the IP Address from the Acorn. The 1st screen shot shows that with the Acorn OFF, the ethernet connection has no address. The 2nd screen shot shows that with the Acorn ON, the Acorn has supplied the Windows 10 ethernet connection the address 10.168.41.1. Note that in both screen shots the IP settings are Automatic (DHCP). This is the way that I've connected the Acorn to my Windows 10 machine since January when I received the Acorn. Has something changed since then to require a static IP address?
Screen Shot # 1
Screen Shot # 1
Screen Shot # 2
Screen Shot # 2
-Mike Richards
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

nothing has changed all documentation and videos show that a static IP address is required.
somehow your system must have been getting away without it!? this is trivial. set it and forget.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

I don't know what you guys are doing when you install the software because it sets the IP address for you as long as you select the correct Ethernet port...

Here is the video, it tells you how to check it and do it manually....

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1451#p8855
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
eng199

Post by eng199 »

Richards wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36 pm Note that I am using DHCP to get the IP Address from the Acorn.
I am surprised that this worked. Static IP has always been recommended.

I can't see the IP address in the video. It is just a blur if I zoom in. That is why I posted the address.
Richards

Post by Richards »

eng199,

I was as surprised as you that DHCP worked. I couldn't remember setting an IP address for that network card. Sure enough, when I checked, it was using DHCP. What probably happened was that when I connected the Acorn to that network card the first time, it just worked. When things work, I don't often check to see why they work. After reading the posts on this thread, I gave the network card the static address 10.168.41.1 with a netmask length of 24 (first twenty-four bits high and the last eight bits low i.e. 11111111 11111111 11111111 00000000 or more customarily written in decimal as 255.255.255.0). This version of Windows 10 substitutes Subnet prefix length for Subnet mask, which requires a 24. 255.255.255.0 cannot be used. Also, this version of Windows 10 required a Gateway. Since I'm not actually using a router with a gateway on this network, I gave it the Acorn's address. It works.

As a network admin for several small businesses, I often get calls to troubleshoot networks. One customer called and told me that the network that I had set up for him had stopped working. I checked things remotely and could see no conflict. He had a DHCP server serving up address x.x.x.150 to x.x.x.200. The rest of the addresses were static. When I drove down to check things, he had added a WiFi router to same subnet and he had allocated all of the addresses to that router's DHCP address pool. So, as he entered the building, his iPhone was assigned the first available IP address, which was the same IP address as the static address he was using on his desktop machine. When he turned on the desktop, it wouldn't connect because that static IP address was no longer available.

In the case of DHCP on the Acorn, if the Acorn and the Windows 10 machines are connected directly with nothing else on the network, the only machine that could receive 10.168.41.1 would be the Windows 10 machine.

Bottom line, my Acorn, just like all of the other Beaglebones that I use, acts as a DHCP server with a DHCP address pool starting with address 10.168.41.1. If no client tries to connect via DHCP, then the static address 10.,168.41.1 can be used. If only the two machines are connected, there would never be network contention whether DHCP or a static address were used.

Sorry about the long post, but sometimes when I think about what is happening inside the machine, I discover an error.

Summary: On my Windows 10 machine, I've assigned the static IP address of 10.168.41.1. The Subnet prefix length is 24 because entering 255.255.255.0 as is customary generates an error. I also had to enter a Gateway address. I use 10.168.41.2. Leaving the Gateway field empty generates an error.

----

I just checked Windows 10 to see why the old standard way of entering a static IP address didn't work. Actually it does if you click on Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections then select the network adapter desired, click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) then click on properties. You'll see the old familiar entry fields; however, if you click on Settings -> Ethernet and then select the desired network adapter, and then edit the IP settings for that adapter, you will see the fields as I've described them above.
-Mike Richards
Dan M
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8df84dfbdd5-0809181120

Post by Dan M »

Just my two cents, but on my machine I have to turn off the WiFi on the cncpc and just keep it off. I'm thinking that maybe he has his WiFi turned on and windows priority is the internet and can't connect to the board via Ethernet and the WiFi at the same time.

Like I said on my machine I can only do one or the other so if I want to use the internet/WiFi I close out of CNC12 and turn on the WiFi. Then when I contect to the Acorn/start CNC12 I just turn off the WiFi. I also have the PC set up not to automatically connect to WiFi. Maybe the way I'm doing it is wrong, but it works for me and when I'm running the router I have no need to use the internet. I also have a very weak WiFi connection where my machine is located so I just use my phone. Also when I'm connected to the Acorn I get a symbol showing unknown network or something like that where the network connection is at the bottom of the screen on Windows.

Anyway doing it this way works for me so I have never had a reason to try and figure out if there's a different way of conecting to both simultaneously. Just thought I'd share my experience for what it's worth.