CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn connect has me stumped <set IP address>

Post by logisticsjoe »

Hi Guys,
I could use some assistance in getting the acorn communication with pc up and running. I have already reviewed documentation, watched the Centroid videos and some other.

The acorn was not inexpensive for a hobbyist but I got because of it's potential. I am growing my shop and one acorn today is three in the next few weeks and if things work out maybe some oak down the road. But, I am already stuck on what should be the easy part so I hope you guys can help.

I have watched the videos and reviewed the wiring diagram. The acorn is connected to the power supply correctly, the power supply is connected to main correctly, and the beagle bone is flashing a blue led about once a second as it should. So not bricked. I downloaded the latest rev software from the Centroid site so correct rev. I extracted it to the desktop and the Centroid folder is located on the C: drive (read that in a post somewhere). I ran the setup software after turning off the firewall Yes, both public and private and unchecked all of the security features.

(just a side not here: leaving a system on my home network unprotected seams a bit risky to me. Like leaving a platform for hackers to pivot into my system. IF I can get this running, I will try to figure out how t get the protection back up without holding the system down and maybe put what I did in a follow-up post.)

Ok, so next I plugged the ethernet cable into the acorn and touchscreen laptop (Pent Celleron N3350 1 ghz w/ 4 GB RAM and touchscreen as recommended) and started the software. The software did not see the acorn, I tried to delete and reinstall the software (twice) and it did not see the acorn. I tried a different ethernet cable and it did not see the acorn. I tried another computer (that well surpass requirements) and it did not see the acorn. I tried reinstalling on the another another new computer and it did not see the acorn. Through this process I unplugged acorn form main and started fresh every time. Again, whenever the acorn is plugged in the blue light flashes so I assume not bricked. I understand how to re-flash a beagle bone but I don't want to start messing with the single board computer (and warantee) on the acorn unless that is what is really wrong here. I am stumped. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance,
Logistics Joe

P.s. I apologize if I missed an obvious post or video or something. I mean I am a guy the same as most of you, I don't like to ask for help as a general rule so this wasn't where I started.
Chaz
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Re: Acorn connect has me stumped

Post by Chaz »

We all start somewhere.

Have you correctly set the IP address on your system to allow you to 'see' the Acorn Board?
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

please verify that there is no antivirus software installed or Windows firewall currently turned on. ( You can turn Windows firewall back on once you get acorn communicating with CNC12 for now turn it off)

And you should probably take a look at how to ping your IP address video.

here is the link..
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1451

this and other great videos are found here..
viewforum.php?f=61

99.9% of all fail to connect issues are Windows Firewall or installed anti Virus software stopping it or ip address not set correctly. :D

do not debrick if you have a heartbeat.
LED's defined.. is here...
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1460
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Richards

Post by Richards »

Because I have all kinds of ethernet devices hooked to the Windows 10 machine that is connected to the Acorn, I installed a 2nd ethernet card in the Windows 10 machine just for the Acorn. As Marty's YouTube video shows, the Acorn has the IP Address of 10.168.48.2. The Acorn will assign your Windows 10 machine the IP Address 10.168.48.1 if you have your machine set to use DHCP and if no other router has already assigned an IP Address to your Windows 10 machine. To keep things as simple as possible, the Blue CAT-5 patch cable that comes with the Acorn should only be connected between the Acorn and to the Windows 10 machine. It should not be connected to an ethernet switch. If only the Windows 10 machine and the Acorn are connected to each other and if the Windows 10 machine is set to get its IP Address via DHCP, everything should work.
-Mike Richards
logisticsjoe

Post by logisticsjoe »

Thank you both for your quick responses. They truly appreciated. Confirmed that I ran the CAT-5 from the single board computer on the acorn directly to the Windows 10 computer with the acorn software. It is not run through a switch and the Windows 10 computer is set to obtain it's IP address via DHCP. Tonight I will add pictures and screenshots to this thread to help identify the problem. I intend to add a picture of the wiring and a screen shots of what I turned off for the firewall and security settings. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to help identify the problem. During some of the software installs (again I did this a bunch of times) I hit different error messages. They were intermittent intermediate and different and they were worked through one after the other before I moved to hooking up the acorn. I will reinstall and screen shot any messages this time like beta testing which is exactly how this feels. I get that at this price point the board and software must have already gone through extensive testing. I am just saying that is the impression it left with me. I will try to be thorough with the screen shots so not one has to play 20 questions. Although, I ave to admit the guess about running the Cat-5 through a switch was a good one. I think it would have achieved the same problem. Thank you.

I believe AV protection was one of the security settings I unchecked after turning off the firewall. I will confirm via screenshots when I am done with my day job.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

I assure you that CNC12 connecting to Acorn has been fully sorted for years and you are not beta testing😁 otherwise this entire forum would be filled with posts like yours! 😁. Did you perform the ping test and what is the results? Please share screenshots or video of it.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

There is no DHCP.
The Windows 10 PC's ethernet port must have a FIXED IP Address. You can not use that ethernet port for anything but communicating with ACORN.
This video shows how:

More info here:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1451
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Chaz
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Chaz »

Indeed, refer to my post, it certainly looks like you arent setting an IP. This must be done, otherwise it will not be on the same network as the Acorn and explains why you cant 'see' it.
logisticsjoe

Post by logisticsjoe »

Thank you for the feedback. I will review and try anything listed. I took screen shots and pictures late last night. I am trying to figure out how to upload them. I did still have antivirus on and turned it off. I turned anything I coupld find protection related and turned it off. I went into change adapter options and right clicked on the ethernet and selected IPV4. I tried both obtain an IP address and DNS automatically as well as use the following IP address: 192.168.45.1. Neither option helped. Still unable to establish communication with acorn. Then I tried reloading the software. I even tried turning the firewall back on and setting to allow all in/out communication incase turning it off was blocking the communication.

Sometimes when I reloaded the software it notes something about having to use a specific private ip address which is why i used the one above. The only thing left I can think of is maybe the wifi is supposed to be set to that hard ip address and the ethernet port should be auto? I will try that too after work.

Thank you kindly again. I will try everything listed on this string. I cannot afford to not get this up and running. I need this controller to work like I think it will when it is functioning.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

put all photos and video on a online service like Google photos and simply paste the link here on the forum.